Nothing Irritates Me More...

Options

Replies

• valgibson43
    Options
    I guess I would have to say the whole "what diet are you on" bothers me. My son is a fitness major in college and he talked with me in length about no dieting. I needed to have a lifestyle overhaul and change the way I eat and start adding movement into my life. But I agree if someone sees you drinking a meal replacement shake they want to know what diet that is.

Also was just wondering how you get that little weight bar when you post?
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    When I use the term diet....
    I usually ask, "What is your diet like?"

Meaning, what are you eating/consuming.
    Not if you are on Weight Watchers, or Zone or Paleo......
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I nicely inform people that lifting does not make every woman look like she belongs on the cover of Muscle & Fitness. I even had to tell my husband that because he didn't know. I have even showed people some healthy examples of women who lift and they all look amazing!
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I nicely inform people that lifting does not make every woman look like she belongs on the cover of Muscle & Fitness. I even had to tell my husband that because he didn't know. I have even showed people some healthy examples of women who lift and they all look amazing!

If that is you in your avatar, than I say keep lifting.

Your husband better be saying the same thing.
  • SarahBeth0625
    Options

LOL, thanks! Yep, that is me. Three kids and all. I actually am embarrassed to admit I haven't done any "barbell" stuff YET -- but I want to. I just do a ton of different exercises on all the muscle groups with dummbells, and I also do some of the Cybex machines.
  • MityMax96
    Options

LOL, thanks! Yep, that is me. Three kids and all. I actually am embarrassed to admit I haven't done any "barbell" stuff YET -- but I want to. I just do a ton of different exercises on all the muscle groups with dummbells, and I also do some of the Cybex machines.

3 kids???
    Damn girl.

I have 3 kids also, but I didn't bear them..... :happy:

Go get you some barbell action. You will love it.
  • SarahBeth0625
    Options
    Yep, I plan to. Just need to do some youtubing for proper form.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    start with light weight til u get your form down. then bust butt :smile:
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options

So I'm curious, what fitness "myths" irritate you?

When people say muscle "weighs" more than fat....WRONG! It's more dense but 5lbs of muscle weighs the same as 5lbs of fat!

That's not wrong. It's common sense. If something is more dense than something else, then an equivalent volume weighs more. You can't twist science just so you can be awkward!

The simple fact is that muscle (in equivalent volumes) weighs more than fat, because it is denser.
  • 1capybara
    1capybara Posts: 162 Member
    Options

'lose weight in the kitchen, get fit in the gym'

That's the best thing I've read today. Thank you.
    That ^^^^ !!!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Than when I'm having a conversation with another woman and she says she doesn't like lifting because she's afraid of getting bulky or says to me something along the lines of oh, you're lifting because you're trying to bulk up huh? Excuse me??? NOPE. WRONG.

I had this happen over the weekend and I immediately had to change the subject because I could no longer have a serious conversation with the other person. The misconception with women lifting and getting "bulky" drives me insane. Also, what if I was trying to "bulk up?" That's my business, and mine alone.

I'm lifting to be healthy, have muscle, lean out, burn more calories, increase my metabolism, improve my running, have a nice butt, be strong, look good naked, live a long life, and plenty more reasons.

Rant over.

wow if that's the most irritating thing in your life .................
  • suzyfj8
    suzyfj8 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I get it all the time from my friends when I say weight lift they think I want to turn into the Hulk! Um no I just want muscle on my body and to be healthy!
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    That going to the gym once makes it okay to consume vast amounts of food afterwards because you won't gain weight *facepalm*
  • Slatzuk
    Slatzuk Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Couple of young guys at my gym (I'm 50 so most of them are young to me).

Load the bar up, adjust their belt, tie their straps round their wrists and attach themselves to the bar. Squat down, grunt, grimace, heave their 1 rep deadlift. High five each other and wander off. After watching their performance I wandered over and lifted the bar back onto the squat rack amazed at how they'd managed a 1 rep deadlift of 80 kg. I'm 50, overweight and unfit (but working on both) after only 10 weeks of stronglifts I'm already deadlifting 110kg with no weight belt, no wrist straps and minimal grunting (Lots of grimace though). All I have is good form.

These "all the gear, no idea" types get up my nose.

Also agree with the "Clean up after yourself". If everyone would rack the plates after their sets life would be easier for all of us.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I would love to see people clean up after themselves.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

clean eating
    paleo eating
    low carb eating
    gluten free eating
    quinoa
    greek yogurt

in short, i roll my eyes at any and all fads.
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I can relate to OP and most of those who have posted before me. One that still sort of irritates me, but I've learned to kind of laugh about is when people (who are obviously not so concerned about their health) will say to me "oh, you probably can't have that on your diet".

The thing I can laugh about is those are the types of people who continue to be in or in between fad diet attempts (or doing nothing at all), while I'm here eating what I want knowing the key is moderation. If I want more, I'm encouraged to exercise more to have it. I've maintained for almost 2 years now. So, I just think about my success and lack of deprivation and smile. :happy:
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Also, the "I don't have time" excuse. I HATE that one! :explode:

Why do you hate that? Some people don't have a lot of time. I don't see how that can be so annoying to you.

I hate it because it IS an excuse. EVERYONE can find A LITTLE time in their day to exercise.
  • samcatchpole
    samcatchpole Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Also, the "I don't have time" excuse. I HATE that one! :explode:

Why do you hate that? Some people don't have a lot of time. I don't see how that can be so annoying to you.

I hate it because it IS an excuse. EVERYONE can find A LITTLE time in their day to exercise.

I agree...even if it is 20 mins doing BW exercises at home, even if it is split into 2 or 3 10 min chunks!
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I know it's harder for some people but yeah even 20 minutes jogging on the spot counts!!