Are you a person that has to go to the gym to workout?

Options
13»

Replies

• x_makewar_x
    x_makewar_x Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I used to run outside only and that was it. But my gym membership has spoiled me and now it HAS to be the gym esp. because I like the classes esp. spinning.
  • LindakayKlontz
    LindakayKlontz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am the same. When working out at home, I'm good for about two weeks then I get distracted by the dishes, the dust, the vacuuming. You get the picture. My gym membership is very reasonable. I have access to all the equipment plus any group classes offered. I enjoy it.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I used to be a total gym rat and not like to workout anywhere else, but lately I've enjoyed working out at home and running outside in a local park. It feels much more natural, but I don't fault people who prefer the gym. :) Different strokes for different folks.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    If I plan on lifting, it certainly helps. I just don't have the money or room for the equipment (barbell, weight plates, bench, squat rack, dumbbells, etc). It pay just $10 a month … at that rate it would take a long time to pay for the stuff at home. (And again, the room)
  • fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I belong to a fabulous health club and have 5 kids so my workout is my me time. I also enjoy the accountability of group fitness classes. If I'm not running, I'm generally at the gym.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Yup. I bought a Bowflex thinking I would save all this money by working out at home. I just didn't do it. All I had to do was walk down the steps and work out but I never did it. I'd always say, "Oh I'll do it later in the day." But later in the day never came and suddenly weeks would go by and I wouldn't have worked out. So I joined a gym again and now I go consistently. I don't know why it makes a difference but it does.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Yes, because I can't squeeze a power rack into my <700 square foot apartment.
    This except its less the 600 square foot home.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I workout at gym, go to the pool to go swimming, walk outside, ride my bike outside. I love my gym, it's fairly small, I don't wait for machines very often and most of the members are super nice about letting you work in with them. I am one of those people who has become social with some of the members. I do find that if I left it to doing stuff at home, I end up sitting on the couch or doing something else.
  • Whenever I tell myself I can't make it to the gym that day so I'll do an hour on the bike at home I either don't or I only end up doing like a half hour. I need the push to start going and keep going (I'm not gonna get dressed and drive 10 minutes for a 20 minute workout. ) Also my husband complains if we skip the gym so that's a pretty good motivator.
  • ziggiezambi
    Options
    I feel more motivated working out in a gym I feel like everyone’s judging me so I have to work harder and give it my all. Also after driving there and paying to get in I am not going to leave until I've at least worked out for a few hours.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Not anymore as I recently set up a home gym in our basement. Best thing I did in a long time! I love it! I went to gyms for the past 10 years and really like working out at home. I work full time and when I get home I like to hang out with my wife and kids and dont really want to eat dinner then run out to the gym. Its much nicer to just go downstairs for a little bit and then come back up and I'm done.

My wife likes to go to the gym because she's home with our kids all day long, so she needs the break and alone time. I can take it or leave it as I'm gone at work during the week. I can see why some people enjoy the gym and getting away from the house and chores while others like myself enjoy being home after work. Depends on the person and circumstances.

It is obviously motivating to go to the gym as once you're there all you can do is workout, you cant do laundry or turn on the TV and be a lazy slob or whatever. But if you're a self motivated person that doesn't matter and a home gym would work just fine.
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    No, I can work out any where, but I have a gym membership (24 hour fitness) and go every day of the week. Why? I strongly prefer to workout at lunch and going home is too far.

I have a ton of free weights at home, so I can do running or free weights at home with the exception of a squat rack. I might buy or build a squat / power rack for home. 24 hour fitness only has 1 power rack and usually I have to wait for someone to get done in there doing non power exercises (curls, pull ups, other stupid crap), very frustrating.

There are many things to not like about a globo gym like that. So much stupid stuff going on. 95% of squats or deadlifts you see are done incorrectly or even being taught incorrectly. Well that's off topic completely.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Ultimately I think this is just personal preference, I actually enjoy going to the gym. I could workout at home but I just like the facility I have access too... Indoor track, full gymnasium for shooting hoops, racquetball courts, 8 lane lap swimming pool, full free weight room with multiple power racks, full cardio room with ellipticals, treadmills,star climbers, ATMs,spin bikes, etc, steam sauna, whirlpool and its backed up to a 17.4 mile riverwalk for hiking,biking, and jogging..... All for a family membership of 46 bucks a month. Just can't beat it in my opinion.... but again it comes down to what suits you.... Best of Luck
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Well, I dont have money for the gym. Besides I live at LEAST 15-20 min out of town... So, its more costly than its worth. Im not a body builder, I dont lift. Im just your average "fat kid" trying to get back into shape LOL! I stick to the trails out here and if gets too hot, I just run inside for a set amount of time or search an aerobics vid on the ps3. So the gym isnt ideal for me. I agree that its a personable preference. Im not opposed to the gym, but financially its not an option for me. :)
  • slb573
    slb573 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Personally I prefer classes because you can almost feed off the energy in the class which is something you can't get at home.
  • crackur
    crackur Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    No, I can work out any where, but I have a gym membership (24 hour fitness) and go every day of the week. Why? I strongly prefer to workout at lunch and going home is too far.

understandable and that is great to save on time so you don't have to worry about it later.

I prefer to work out at home because 1] I don't have to pay anything monthly 2] I can take a shower immediately after 3] music with no headphones and I have a view out my bay window that you can't get in a gym.

Did I say sanitation as well? lol
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I built a decent gym in my basement, including a power cage, select dumbbells and other items I wanted. When I am on vacation, I had to find a gym. I can not accomplish my goals without the gym. This isn't a motivation thing, just my goals are to dominate a powerlifting competition next year and I have a strongman competition in two weeks. Doing bodyweight exercise for an hour won't cut it.