Camping Food...

Options
devilwhiterose
devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
It's my first time tent-camping and I'm not sure what to pack for food!

We'll have a grill, cast-iron skillet, and a cooler...

We're leaving Friday afternoon and will be home Sunday afternoon. Temperature's supposed to be around 88-high.

Do you think frozen hamburger patties would stay in a cooler of ice from Friday afternoon until Saturday for dinner?

Replies

• spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Do you think frozen hamburger patties would stay in a cooler of ice from Friday afternoon until Saturday for dinner?

Yes.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    Temperature's supposed to be around 88-high.

go next month
  • CincyDave
    CincyDave Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When I camp, my frozen burger do just fine in my cooler. But I have a pretty nice cooler that keeps stuff pretty cold. So i think it would depend on your cooler and how warm it is where you are camping.
  • crackur
    crackur Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I'm more worried about how to keep the beer cold...and then I realize it won't last that long.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Good coolers will keep things good to go for almost up to a week if you put it together right.

I'm a big fan of grilling meats, catching some trout. Easy stuff.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Bring a bow, some arrows, a knife, a bucket, and/or a gun. Fresh venison all weekend
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Yes, make sure it's loaded with ice and try to avoid opening and closing it too often keep it shaded. Fiance said if you can fit a block it'll last longer.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Anything on the grill....
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Be careful where you leave the cooler.

Bear-with-Cooler.jpg
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Yes, make sure it's loaded with ice and try to avoid opening and closing it too often keep it shaded. Fiance said if you can fit a block it'll last longer.

Didn't even think about doing that... I may make a big block of ice in addition to the cubes...

We're actually camping near the beach in North Carolina. No worries about bears, but still no amenities. I'm not brave enough to face da' bears yet in the mountains. Next year I may rent a cabin in the mountains and see how I do before I try to rough it with a tent.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to bring a couple cans of stew or soup, just in case the burgers don't turn out...always have a back up plan. I always bring some extra food when I take the boys fishing, cuz i always tell them "we eat what we catch", but that doesn't always work.....of course a slinshot will bring down a squirrel or rabbit too...

and maybe some S'mores too!!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Didn't even think about doing that... I may make a big block of ice in addition to the cubes...

We're actually camping near the beach in North Carolina. No worries about bears, but still no amenities. I'm not brave enough to face da' bears yet in the mountains. Next year I may rent a cabin in the mountains and see how I do before I try to rough it with a tent.

A little bit of dry ice on top helps a lot as does putting things in that are already cold. (Prechill the cooler as well.) Think energy preservation. Don't be afraid to freeze things you won't use until the later part of the trip.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Rinse and save empty milk jugs. Fill 2/3's full of water. Freeze. Put in cooler. No melted, watery mess. Easy to move around. You're welcome.
    :flowerforyou:
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Rinse and save empty milk jugs. Fill 2/3's full of water. Freeze. Put in cooler. No melted, watery mess. Easy to move around. You're welcome.

Yep, this. Any kind of plastic bottle that seals will work great. Keep the cooler closed and in the shade as much as possible. Keep the things you are eating later near the bottom. I've even cooked everything the first night then put it back in the cooler to be reheated later. Half the fun of camping is cooking each meal though!!! At least I think!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Yes if you pre-chill the cooler. I keep my meat in a separate cooler when I camp tod what that's worth.

I have camped with two pre-chilled coolers for a week and didn't need to add ice until day 4. Pre-chill by adding ice 8 hours before adding food.
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I love camping food. We always have a big breakfast every other day in the cast iron skillet or dutch oven over the fire: Thick cut bacon, eggs (kept in a hard case in cooler) and hash browns with toast on a stick over the fire. Just taste so great in the outdoors.

Pancakes with homemade berry jam and whip
    cream

easy Lunches: salami, good cheese, crackers fruit, nuts

I always bring ingredients for six can tortilla soup, great back up meal.

This summer Froze wild salmon fillet with herb butter in foil to just put over the fire served with pasta tossed in pesto with fresh tomatoes.

This year bought a tri tip in marinade, froze it for the cooler, grilled and served with baby potatoes roasted in foil. Left over meat and potatoes with eggs for breakfast.

Lots of good red wine, gin and tonics. French press coffee in the mornings (I have a thermal stainless steel coffee press).

I usually stay away from ground meat when camping, but I don't buy commercial ground meat generally.

Anything cooked on the fire speaks to my Limbic system.

One trip this year was exceptionally warm: Froze bottles of water to use as ice blocks and then mixed in sugar free lemonade mix as they thawed for refreshing hydration.

And we do s'mores!

Another thing I do is prep and freeze a whole chicken for the cooler. Cook it in the dutch oven lined in foil (no mess to clean), have roast chicken one night then use the rest of the chicken in the tortilla soup.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Lots of good red wine, gin and tonics. French press coffee in the mornings (I have a thermal stainless steel coffee press).

WTF kind of camping is that??
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options

^^This

Also for future camping trips, invest in a good cast iron Dutch Oven, and a good quality wok. They both are extremely good cooking vessals for those that want to step out of the comfort zone of burgers and hot dogs.
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options

WTF kind of camping is that??

It's called Glamping, baby. The combination of good food and the outdoors. No dehydrated packets of stew here. :wink: And yes I have roughed it but like this so much more. You probably wouldn't think much of my solar shower either. :laugh: