Camping Food...

Options
2»

Replies

• _jamieb
    Options
    I'm more worried about how to keep the beer cold...and then I realize it won't last that long.

Hahaha!!! When I camp, there is a cooler for food and a cooler for beer!!

And yes the burgers will be fine, or anything else for that matter. Keep the coolers in the shade as much as you can and that will help as well :)
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    We will have a separate cooler for beer of course. :)

I'm thinking...

Friday - flat-iron steaks and potatoes the first night
    Saturday - egg/toast for breakfast. burgers/dogs, chips, pasta salad for lunch. Maybe herb chicken foil-packets for dinner with more potatoes or pasta salad...

Beer...snacks.

I think I got this.

If no one likes it, I'll bring along one of my husband's MRE's and they can either eat that or suffer. :laugh:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Lots of good red wine, gin and tonics. French press coffee in the mornings (I have a thermal stainless steel coffee press).

WTF kind of camping is that??

It's called Glamping, baby. The combination of good food and the outdoors. No dehydrated packets of stew here. :wink: And yes I have roughed it but like this so much more. You probably wouldn't think much of my solar shower either. :laugh:

We had to upgrade to glamping too queen sized bed, refrigerator, shower, toilet, microwave, solar panels and TV. It's rough but we somehow manage.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to bring a couple cans of stew or soup, just in case the burgers don't turn out...always have a back up plan. I always bring some extra food when I take the boys fishing, cuz i always tell them "we eat what we catch", but that doesn't always work.....of course a slinshot will bring down a squirrel or rabbit too...

and maybe some S'mores too!!!

You get S'mores with a slingshot?
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Rinse and save empty milk jugs. Fill 2/3's full of water. Freeze. Put in cooler. No melted, watery mess. Easy to move around. You're welcome.
    :flowerforyou:

I was gonna say this. I use gatorade bottles 3/4 full of water and frozen. They don't take up a lot of space, and keep the mess down. Dry Ice is pretty decent as well.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    all you need is a bottle of whiskey.
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I love camping food. We always have a big breakfast every other day in the cast iron skillet or dutch oven over the fire: Thick cut bacon, eggs (kept in a hard case in cooler) and hash browns with toast on a stick over the fire. Just taste so great in the outdoors.

Pancakes with homemade berry jam and whip
    cream

easy Lunches: salami, good cheese, crackers fruit, nuts

I always bring ingredients for six can tortilla soup, great back up meal.

This summer Froze wild salmon fillet with herb butter in foil to just put over the fire served with pasta tossed in pesto with fresh tomatoes.

This year bought a tri tip in marinade, froze it for the cooler, grilled and served with baby potatoes roasted in foil. Left over meat and potatoes with eggs for breakfast.

Lots of good red wine, gin and tonics. French press coffee in the mornings (I have a thermal stainless steel coffee press).

I usually stay away from ground meat when camping, but I don't buy commercial ground meat generally.

Anything cooked on the fire speaks to my Limbic system.

One trip this year was exceptionally warm: Froze bottles of water to use as ice blocks and then mixed in sugar free lemonade mix as they thawed for refreshing hydration.

And we do s'mores!

Another thing I do is prep and freeze a whole chicken for the cooler. Cook it in the dutch oven lined in foil (no mess to clean), have roast chicken one night then use the rest of the chicken in the tortilla soup.

I wanna go camping with you. I'll bring the booze!
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    We will have a separate cooler for beer of course. :)

I'm thinking...

Friday - flat-iron steaks and potatoes the first night
    Saturday - egg/toast for breakfast. burgers/dogs, chips, pasta salad for lunch. Maybe herb chicken foil-packets for dinner with more potatoes or pasta salad...

Beer...snacks.

I think I got this.

If no one likes it, I'll bring along one of my husband's MRE's and they can either eat that or suffer. :laugh:

I think it sounds like a great menu. It's the little things that can jack you up. Condiments, seasonings and cooking oil.....
  • rocky503
    Options
    I love camping food. We always have a big breakfast every other day in the cast iron skillet or dutch oven over the fire: Thick cut bacon, eggs (kept in a hard case in cooler) and hash browns with toast on a stick over the fire. Just taste so great in the outdoors.

Pancakes with homemade berry jam and whip
    cream

easy Lunches: salami, good cheese, crackers fruit, nuts

I always bring ingredients for six can tortilla soup, great back up meal.

This summer Froze wild salmon fillet with herb butter in foil to just put over the fire served with pasta tossed in pesto with fresh tomatoes.

This year bought a tri tip in marinade, froze it for the cooler, grilled and served with baby potatoes roasted in foil. Left over meat and potatoes with eggs for breakfast.

I usually stay away from ground meat when camping, but I don't buy commercial ground meat generally.

Anything cooked on the fire speaks to my Limbic system.

One trip this year was exceptionally warm: Froze bottles of water to use as ice blocks and then mixed in sugar free lemonade mix as they thawed for refreshing hydration.

And we do s'mores!

Another thing I do is prep and freeze a whole chicken for the cooler. Cook it in the dutch oven lined in foil (no mess to clean), have roast chicken one night then use the rest of the chicken in the tortilla soup.

I wanna go camping with you. I'll bring the booze!

Thanks! I think you get my Pacific North West style!
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options

It's called Glamping, baby. The combination of good food and the outdoors. No dehydrated packets of stew here. :wink: And yes I have roughed it but like this so much more. You probably wouldn't think much of my solar shower either. :laugh:

Agree with Rocky! It takes no effort at all to be uncomfortable camping and very little effort to be comfortable.
    A little prior planning will turn a nice camping trip to memorable camping trip.

And I have made my own solar shower.

I spent 21 years in the army infantry and I know how to 'rough' it. This is so much better. And everyone enjoys a well planned event.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Whenever I go camping, we make hamburger patties and put them in zip lock bags before freezing them.
    Same with steak.
    We will take two one gallon (cleaned) milk jugs and fill them 5/6s with water before freezing them solid.
    Those go on the bottom of the cooler.
    Then a layer of ice
    Then the meat that will be frozen.
    More water botles and then I start stacking the non frozen stuff like eggs and bags of lettuse and tomatoes.
    Condomints go on top along with non frozen sausges and potatoes.

A second "dry" cooler holds plates, cups, and things like chips and marshmellows.
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Rinse and save empty milk jugs. Fill 2/3's full of water. Freeze. Put in cooler. No melted, watery mess. Easy to move around. You're welcome.
    :flowerforyou:

we use tall plasic juice containers that fit our cooler perfectly.

The milk cartons can get soggy if the ice melts too much, and we've had some that came apart.
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    We usually do eggs and sausage for breakfast ( I will beat the eggs before leaving home). We also take oatmeal or other hot cereal for chilly mornings. For lunches, we will have sandwiches and fruit. Dinners vary from pizza mountain pies, to steaks or burgers, or even foil dinners. I make them before camping - a cut up potato, some carrots, chopped onion, and a couple ounces of ground meat. I will throw salt & pepper over the whole thing, and throw in a little butter (1-2 tablespoons). Seal it in foil, then all you have to do is throw it on the coals of the fire.
  • rocky503
    Options

Agree with Rocky! It takes no effort at all to be uncomfortable camping and very little effort to be comfortable.
    A little prior planning will turn a nice camping trip to memorable camping trip.

And I have made my own solar shower.

I spent 21 years in the army infantry and I know how to 'rough' it. This is so much better. And everyone enjoys a well planned event.

Gosh, no doubt you know how make it in the real wild. My last camping trip included a Marine vet who spent time in the "Field" and he loved happy hour with snacks, a relaxing fire side dinner and good coffee to wake to. Camping recreationally it about enjoyment not survival.
  • wassergottin
    wassergottin Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm into backpacking, so I like my stuff lightweight. Freeze dried foods are fabulous, oatmeal, and then soups. I use a JetBoil Flash to cook.