Replacing Tortilla Chips

Options
One of the things my wife and I do is have a snack every evening of Yellow Corn Tortilla chips and salsa. While it fits well into my calories for the day, its killing my macros at 57 carbs and only 6 protein. In a perfect world that would be flip flopped.

Can you recommend something that might work well with salsa that has some protein but not a ton of carbs? I have ~400 cals to play with here.

TIA

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Crunchy veggies, but that's not really protein. Perhaps make your own chips by pan dying or baking up some lower carb tortillas. String cheese or cheese cubes could work, too.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Kale chips? Not really high in protein, but lower in carbs.
  • kelseymaccombs
    kelseymaccombs Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you have some small boneless-skinless chicken breast tenders (bake them) and then cover in salsa. I know it's not the perfect easy "snack," but it's a healthy and delicious option with some good protein. Add some slices of avocado if you have room in your cals/macros!
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Dip veggies, add cheese. Low cal, protein added. It's a win. :flowerforyou:
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I love to make my own breakfast burritos. I know it's not quite the same, but eggs are good protein and you still get the salsa on them.... and you can put whatever you want in them. I put lots of veggies in with the eggs.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options

THIS
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I say just eat the chips and stay under calories. . Nothing replaces corn chips.....especially not kale.
    Truth.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    La Tortilla Factory makes tortillas that are pretty low carb! (10g carb, 7g fiber for the small size) I like to cut them into chunks and crisp them up in a skillet on the stove.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    La Tortilla Factory makes tortillas that are pretty low carb! (10g carb, 7g fiber for the small size) I like to cut them into chunks and crisp them up in a skillet on the stove.
    I was going to suggest those as well. 10 g carb, 5 g protein. Throw in some chicken seasoned with cumin and you'll meet your macro lol.

http://www.latortillafactory.com/products-3.aspx
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options

i thought you already had more than enough protein?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Hit your protein macro earlier in the day, then enjoy your tortilla chips.
  • chelseybennett1
    chelseybennett1 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Pork rinds
  • HotDocToBe
    Options
    Mama Lupe's Low Carb tortillas are only 7g of carbs, 4g fiber, 0g sugar, and 5 protein. They are 7" tortillas.

35789389.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    One of the things my wife and I do is have a snack every evening of Yellow Corn Tortilla chips and salsa. While it fits well into my calories for the day, its killing my macros at 57 carbs and only 6 protein. In a perfect world that would be flip flopped.

Can you recommend something that might work well with salsa that has some protein but not a ton of carbs? I have ~400 cals to play with here.

TIA

Ditch the salsa and go for queso fundido or refried beans, that'll get you some extra protein
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options

Ditch the salsa and go for queso fundido or refried beans, that'll get you some extra protein

AMEN :drinker:
  • crystal2point0
    crystal2point0 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I would say just stick with the corn chips but stay in your calories. Search around, read the back of each bag to find the ones with the lowest calories and then only eat the serving amount that stays under. Win win! stay under cals and still enjoy the taste of the foods you like. Moderation.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I've never really looked at the carbs, but have you tried the Green Giant veggie 'tortilla' chips? If you look in the chip aisle, you'll see tons of new diff types of tortilla chips, including sweet potato, veggie, and they even have different flavors, like ranch.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Here is the solution. Walmart in the deli has "JOSEPHS FLAX AND OAT BRAN LAVASH" wraps that for the entire sheet is 100 cals. I cut them up into bite size squares lightly spray them with olive oil and put a little seasoning on them and then toast them under the broiler on both sides until crunchy. I use these with guac or hummus and even take them to the theater for my "snack". I have replaced most bread products with this one item and MFP also has it in their inventory for you as well. You will love them. They also come in tortilla rounds as well. AND the best part is that I used them in a lasagna and NO ONE knew the difference but they consumed FARRRRRR fewer calories.