Replacing Tortilla Chips

Options
2»

Replies

• inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    this may not be popular, but Ditch the chips! There are a ton of different options. Once you get over not having them regularly, it will be a treat to have them once in a while. And you may find after a while that you don't like them so much any more. With salsa there is nothing better though.
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I say just eat the chips and stay under calories. . Nothing replaces corn chips.....especially not kale.

He doesn't want the chips. The whole point of the post is that he doesn't want the chips. He wants something with more protein. Your post is not helpful in the least.

OP- Maybe cook some plain chicken in the crock pot? A bag of chicken breasts in the crock pot once a week, then you guys could pile some salsa on a chicken breast for a snack. Way more filling than the chips, and def good on the protein!

Unless you wanna keep the crunchiness of the chips- then pry go with a few of the other suggestions on here, you've got some good ones!
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'll mix salsa with cottage cheese or Greek yogurt when I want to add protein ti my chips and salsa. It's usually not spicy enough so I add lots of hot sauce too.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I like to mix smashed beans and salsa for a quick and easy bean dip. It will add protein, but also more carbs. Shredded chicken is good mixed in with the beans and salsa. Never tried just the chicken and salsa, though. Not sure if I'd like that texture.

ETA: You could also cut and toast Flat Out brand wraps in the oven for chips. 9 g of protein, 16 g carbs, 9 g fiber per 100 calorie wrap.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    on3oq.jpg
  • hollyyoung71
    hollyyoung71 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Beanitos... made with Beans instead of corn.. so good and great amount of protein and fiber.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Kale chips are very brittle and could not stand up to dipping, in my experience. They taste good, but they are just a whole different thing. The raw veggies sound good, but not sure they are going to fit the "snack food feel." But maybe you're better than me. :)

I haven't yet tried the roasted cauliflower that has been going around - I'll probably do that tonight if I don't work too late. I wonder if that would be good? Minimal protein in it as written, but you could add a little cheese at the end of the roasting time if you wanted..? I'm going to add nutritional yeast to mine, I think...B-12, baby!

What about adding the protein source to the salsa? Maybe some flax seed meal? I love the nutty texture of that, too, but there's only not quite 2g protein for a tablespoon. Maybe mix in a couple of tablespoons of greek yogurt - roughly 11 or 12 g of protein there and it would be really similar to sour cream.

Baked slices of zucchini? We made these and really liked them. They are not like grab 'n' go chips, but a tray can be oven-ready in 5 minutes or so. Even if you bread them with Panko for the extra crunch, it's only 15 carbs per 1/4 cup of breading. Season them how you like, slice them thin and let them get crispy. .

Heck, you could even blow through a couple of cups of pork rinds if you wanted to for 350 calories, almost 40 g protein and no carbs at all. I don't know if you'd be super thrilled with the 20 g of fat, though. :) On the same page, oven-baked cheese crisps are a really popular "low-carb" thing, but pretty high in fat and sodium, so they would add up fast too (the actual amount would vary depending on the cheese you used).

We roasted chickpeas in the oven, too. They were super crisp and salty and snack-ish. I actually didn't even add oil. My daughter and I even seasoned ours differently from one another (I like things spicy) and they were both really good. The only thing is, they end up tiny! lol Not very dippable and if I was going to do it again, I'd make more at a time. Did I mention they end up tiny?

I wonder how the homemade chips from the low-carb tortillas would do on a pizza stone? They sound good.

I haven't tried it, but people microwave pepperoni slices between paper towels until they crisp. Turkey pepperoni is only 70 calories for 17 slices and I really like it for general purposes.

Here are some homemade crackers:
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cheddar-Crackers/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=cheese crackers&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Home Page

And homemade Cheez Its, just because they are sort of lovely. I have no idea how many carbs, but the recipe can be made with whole-grain flour:
    http://www.cookingalamel.com/2012/04/homemade-cheez-its.html

I hope you find something you like. Of course, I wouldn't give up entirely on your tortilla chips unless you really want to. :)
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Here is the solution. Walmart in the deli has "JOSEPHS FLAX AND OAT BRAN LAVASH" wraps that for the entire sheet is 100 cals. I cut them up into bite size squares lightly spray them with olive oil and put a little seasoning on them and then toast them under the broiler on both sides until crunchy. I use these with guac or hummus and even take them to the theater for my "snack". I have replaced most bread products with this one item and MFP also has it in their inventory for you as well. You will love them. They also come in tortilla rounds as well. AND the best part is that I used them in a lasagna and NO ONE knew the difference but they consumed FARRRRRR fewer calories.

Num. I would totally try this. But then, I'll try anything once. :wink:
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I used to microwave spicy capicolla ham until it's crisp and shrinks up into almost a little bowl, then add a bit of Laughing Cow cheese. Could dip in salsa for extra spicy kick. Not sure what the calories would be on that, though.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I love yellow tortilla chips also. I know what you mean about killing your macros. If I know I'm going to have a pretty calorie dense protein unsuperfood I will make a point to have either sole or other fish. It's really high in protein and super low calorie wise. I think I eat about 250g for 50g protein in about 230 calories. You could easily add more as needed lol. Some things you just can't get better options for, I would say nachos is one of them.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Not sure anything could replace tortilla chips but I quite like the Special K crisp cracker thingies. I don't really like spicy things but they do a chilli version that would probably go quite well with salsa
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I bake up zucchini, slice it about 1/4" thick, sprinkle with chili, cumin and garlic powder and bake for 15 minutes at 400. Flip the zucchini, sprinkle with shredded cheese and spoon some salsa on each piece and bake for another 5-10 to melt the cheese. It's not chips and salsa like you're used to but it's an easy way to sneak in more veggies and you can still eat then with your fingers.
  • samammay
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. Most sound great. The salsa is a requirement. That bowl between us on the couch is the foundation of our marriage and if I tried to change that she would divorce me.

I kid of course. She'd stab me first and then divorce me.

I'm going to give the Beanitos a try and a few of the homemade chips suggested. I'm in it for the salsa. The chips are just filler to keep me from getting hungry at 3am.
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    My friend ALWAYS put out salsa with petite carrots and.... nobody can stop eating them!

I love, love, love tostido chips so I get it!
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Black Bean Chips
  • GymPoet
    GymPoet Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Baked cheese chips have zero carbs. I've never tried them but here is a link: http://www.food.com/recipe/parmesan-chips-45756
  • DarrenM11
    DarrenM11 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I say just eat the chips and stay under calories. . Nothing replaces corn chips.....especially not kale.

I concur! I just eat salsa with warm corn tortillas... I try to skip the chip!
  • bubbliemae
    Options
    You can make chips out of cheese, I like parm the best, but you can use any cheese, finely shredded. I put parchment paper on a cookie sheet, make little piles of the shredded cheese, what ever size you want your chips to be, then bake at 350, until browned and crisp. I make quite a few at a time and keep them in air tight container. Watch them closely in the oven because there is a fine line between crisp enough and burnt. I just love these cheese chips. Hope you will too.