Things People Say When You've Lost Weight

Options
It really bugs me when I am at work or with friends and I get comments like "You're wasting away!" and "You don't need to lose anymore weight, you look good". I know they are trying to be supportive, but it really irritates me. I am only half way to my goal, I am still considered obese, and telling me to stop is the opposite of being helpful.

*rantover*

Anyone else get stupid comments from people trying to "help"?

Replies

• Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    It really bugs me when I am at work or with friends and I get comments like "You're wasting away!" and "You don't need to lose anymore weight, you look good". I know they are trying to be supportive, but it really irritates me. I am only half way to my goal, I am still considered obese, and telling me to stop is the opposite of being helpful.

*rantover*

Anyone else get stupid comments from people trying to "help"?

Just remember people don't like change. They see you changing...in a positive light and they are in the same spot-whatever that is. Humans are jealous by nature. Be flattered. Its all how you look at. When they say "you're wasting away!" ..say "aw-thank you! Smile" ...You will get a different reaction and even probably feel differently towards that comment.

:)
  • ButterflyDame
    ButterflyDame Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have to agree, usually, but not always they come from people who probably should be doing the same thing
  • phred_52
    phred_52 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Just be goofy like me and say "thanks, i welcome any and all compliments" and smile. I'm not a sensitive person really. Though I do understand what you're saying. People will be people.
  • pinkncrazee
    pinkncrazee Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The first time I dropped a serious amount of weight, most people would give compliments. But the ones that stuck with me were the ones who asked if I had been sick! I guess they were just used to me being heavy through out my teen years. It effected me then, think I'm outta that stage though!
  • goldied01
    goldied01 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do know what you mean. I get WHAT DID YOU DO HAVE GASTRIC BYPASS?! or WHAT PILL DID YOU TAKE? How Rude!!!!!! But, there are the others that ask what I did. I'm happy to tell them, but, what worked for me, might not work for others. So, I give them my two cents and hope it helps.
    Congratulations on your weight loss. You look Fantastic!!!
  • jipis
    jipis Posts: 11
    Options
    WHAT PILL DID YOU TAKE?

The reply to this is simple! "The pill called getoffmylazyassandworkforit!" :D
  • ppotoch
    ppotoch Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    WHAT PILL DID YOU TAKE?

I wish there was a "Like" button like on Facebook! :)

I'm most irritated by people who tell me that I don't need to lose any more weight. Really? What exactly are your qualifications to make that determination for me? My doctor, my trainer, and the BMI charts beg to differ...
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Ive gotten this exact thing. "You still want to lose HOW much?"

Keep on keeping on. You know whats best for you!
  • goalaska
    Options
    [/quote]

Just remember people don't like change. They see you changing...in a positive light and they are in the same spot-whatever that is. Humans are jealous by nature...
    [/quote]

Totally agree with this. After my first round of weight loss from 159lbs to 128lbs (21 pounds) an obese aunt of mine would hint to everyone that I had an eating disorder. Said aunt is now doing a liquid shake program to shift the pounds. So I guess people who have a problem with your weight loss success are insecure and need to address that rather than projecting their issues onto people who are making a real effort to better themselves.

Now that I'm doing MFP for the next 20 pounds, my whole family is freaking out that I'm going to die of starvation haha gotta love Europeans :)
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    WHAT PILL DID YOU TAKE?

I wish there was a "Like" button like on Facebook! :)

Agree! and love this!!

But seriously, I also completely understand what you're saying!! I keep hearing that now, and I'm just losing the last bit and toning...i also get a lot of, do you even eat anymore?? I'd like to tell them, ummmm..yeah, like wayyy more than most people!

There's nothing wrong with wanting to be a better and fit you!! Keep up your hard work and don't let the jealousy stop you!!
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    "Did you lose, like, a ton of weight?"

Lol. She meant well though, and honestly I thought it was funny. Besides, I DID lose, like, a ton of weight :)
  • jniels1975
    jniels1975 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    People always stay stupid things. I was at my goal weight and some skinny snot told me to keep working because the last 10 pounds are the hardest. I was so offended, I guess I wasn't thin enough for her. BTW she was not all that.
  • GatorLex82
    Options
    That happened to me the last time I lost a decent amount of weight. I lost 30 lbs but was still pretty far above my goal (healthy) weight and a friend kept asking me if I was sick and saying "what do you weigh? like 100 lbs?!!" HELL NO, if I was that skinny I wouldn't have had to lose 30 lbs!! It was ridiculous because it was just a comparison with how I looked before the weight loss. Turned out I really was sick so who knows if the illness (cancer) helped/caused the weight loss or just coincidence, but why can't people just say "you look great!!"?? No comparison needed. I mean, does anyone think that saying you look sickly or wasted away is a compliment??
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Yeah people just don't think! I would rather hear annoying comments like these, though, than comments about what I eat specifically like people who preach Paleo to me.

I get a lot of "you're wasting away" and for me that's got a very negative connotation...definitely doesn't seem like a compliment and I know they probably just mean I've lost weight but I tend to imagine that I look all drawn and unhealthy when people say that!

I've also got a few "Where is the REST OF YOU!?" and I think that's just sorta weird and rude to say to someone.

(edited to add that while I'm down 38 lb from March, I have lost around 80 lb in the past 4-5 years)
  • I am about half way through my weight loss goal so far and am already getting the "you're wasting away" crap from people (and the usual feeling of shoulders and elbows from mum trying to find some "bones" (way to go before that happens yet!) The worst is some of the girls at work who have been talking about losing weight for ages but undo everything good by going on a pie and chips binge at the weekend and they can't seem to help looking me up and down whenever I have to talk to them about something....and not with a smile on their faces either! I think the comments here about people not liking change, being jealous etc are all valid and you just have to do what's right for you. It can be very hurtful sometimes (one which really got me was "you'd better not throw away your big clothes because you might need them again"....i.e. "this is just a phase you're going through"), but you have to develop a sort of bloody-minded attitude to it all and keep up that regular exercise and stick to your food diary. If people ask how you do it, give them the basics but don't go into too much detail as you'll either find people challenging something which clearly works for you or saying "yeah I'll do that" but then completely ignoring half the advice and telling you a couple of weeks later that (surprise surprise) it didn't work for them......keep going everyone and don't be put off by negative nellies!
  • glenelliott5872
    glenelliott5872 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I suggest that most comments should be taken as compliments and if they are not then a thick skin may still be required
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people say things about me being "skinny." Um, I'm still "obese" according to the BMI scale and am still 30+ pounds from a "healthy" weight for my height. I'm definitely not skinny. Have I lost a lot of weight? Do I look a lot better than I did before? Am I healthier and happier now? All yes, but I'm not skinny by any stretch of the imagination.

I usually just respond with thanks, but I still have a long way to go. I don't want anyone to think that I'm perceiving myself as "done." I won't be "done" ever. This is just how I live now.
  • imeldita15
    imeldita15 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with Glenelliot. Take these as compliments. I get some comments too, but they are not killing me. There are worse things to get annoyed over. Get over it.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options

Just remember people don't like change. They see you changing...in a positive light and they are in the same spot-whatever that is. Humans are jealous by nature...
    [/quote]

Totally agree with this. After my first round of weight loss from 159lbs to 128lbs (21 pounds) an obese aunt of mine would hint to everyone that I had an eating disorder. Said aunt is now doing a liquid shake program to shift the pounds. So I guess people who have a problem with your weight loss success are insecure and need to address that rather than projecting their issues onto people who are making a real effort to better themselves.

Now that I'm doing MFP for the next 20 pounds, my whole family is freaking out that I'm going to die of starvation haha gotta love Europeans :)
    [/quote]

:) Im glad you agree. Isnt it funny the same ones that ask you questions negatively or talk bad are the ones that "secretly" try to then lose weight and want you to be happy for them? LOL..people are funny creatures!
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with the above - it's a strange phenomenon! I think it can come from not only a place of jealousy, but also friends and family worry that if you change so dramatically on the outside, you won't be the same person on the inside.

I remember when I was a kid my mum lost a tonne of weight. Everyone was complimenting her and congratulating her...but I hated it, I felt like she wasn't the same mum I had known my whole life! She looked different, dressed differently and had a new air of confidence which meant she acted a little differently too. I was only 9 or so, so didn't really "get it", but it makes me see where that kind of behaviour comes from.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!