Things People Say When You've Lost Weight

Options

Replies

• ParamoreAddict
    ParamoreAddict Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    It really bugs me when I am at work or with friends and I get comments like "You're wasting away!" and "You don't need to lose anymore weight, you look good". I know they are trying to be supportive, but it really irritates me. I am only half way to my goal, I am still considered obese, and telling me to stop is the opposite of being helpful.

*rantover*

Anyone else get stupid comments from people trying to "help"?

I hate when you lose weight and then everybody says you look so good! So I didn't look good before? Thanks a lot! lol
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    I think the only comment that's really bothered me (aside from the guy who picked up my B-complex/multi-mineral/amino acid supplement when I dropped it, and implied that I was doping or something) came from an older woman who put her hand on my arm and said, "We're going to have to make you stop losing weight -- you're getting too skinny!" I hadn't actually lost any weight in the previous 3-4 months, but either way, that just struck me as presumptuous. She probably meant it as a sincere compliment, though. I didn't take issue with her.
  • tarayatesgosse
    Options
    I'm most irritated by people who tell me that I don't need to lose any more weight. Really? What exactly are your qualifications to make that determination for me? My doctor, my trainer, and the BMI charts beg to differ...
    [/quote]

Yes this one bugs me too.. You are right.
  • tarayatesgosse
    Options
    some years ago I went from 185-142 and I still had more to go and I was insulted like I couldn't believe. I had returned to work after a hiatus (when I lost the weight) and I got called "Olyve oyl", skinny, I was told I needed "rice and beans", a family member looked me up and down and said I look like a cancer patient. Another told me I wasn't the type to lose weight because I have a long face lol... wow. I am 5'4" I was 142, size 10, sometimes 8 jeans.

I was NOT skinny, I understand I lost weight and these people weren't used to seeing me at that weight, that being said, it hurt me quite a bit. I couldn't just shake it off I was insulted. This time I know better.

I have struggled this past year with my weight really bad, however, I am back on track. I am going to lose and I am going to keep it off and ignore EVERYONE ELSE!

I totally feel you on that. 142 at size 10 does not look like a cancer patient. It looks HEALTHY! And if you are comfortable with how you look people need to stay out of it.
  • tarayatesgosse
    Options
    There are several of these things that bug me but I don;t like the idea of what people are not saying.....I really worry that people think I have been taking diet pills or something. People seem to look at me skeptical when they ask "So you just walked and counted calories?" YES! SERIOUSLY! ALLLLLLL that crap we have heard our whole life about WALKING and portion control is freaking true! My best friend sounds nervous all the time when we talk about my weight and that is the only one that ever concerns me. Everyone else can just bugger off. A friend recently posted a thing about how to find your body frame type (small medium large) and it told me I was small framed. I don;t think that is correct but if it is then everyone REALLY needs to be off my back because I am still 15lbs higher then my lowest healthy BMI.
  • tarayatesgosse
    Options
    :drinker:
  • keeptehpeace
    keeptehpeace Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    In general I dislike people pointing out my weightloss.. it's inevitable with my parents who I see once every three months, but my boyfriend is constantly commenting on it, saying how tiny I look (I'm 5'3 130lbs, was 143 before) and how I need to eat more "or I'll get grumpy" (??? it's as if we don't regularly eat pizza and chinese food together :huh: ). my pole dancing instructor said that my butt was "looking great" which made me laugh considering it's pretty much down to her that I've fallen back in love with squats and stretching.
  • PheonixRizing
    PheonixRizing Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My grandfather used to say "You're wasting away" to jab at how fat i was... *rolls eyes*
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Just yesterday I had two family members tell me that I might be going to the gym too much. This is as they were sitting down to eat their Baconators from Wendy's and instead of watchnig them eat I went to the gym to get in some cardio. Nice.
  • debbieslastdiet
    Options
    I've just started ( today :) ) and already I have been faced with ' what do you want to lose weight for you look fine to me' - I need to lose realistically 3 stone and with that weight loss I would still be technically overweight! I think that maybe people are just being kind to me or am I deluded?

Deb
  • cbumbalough
    cbumbalough Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Oh, you're face is getting so slim. Always hated that one!
  • debbieslastdiet
    Options
    Ha, I get a lot of ' but you're big boned ' um...is that a compliment?? and no, I have size 5 feet and I used to be a size 8/10. I'm just fat honey x
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Them: "You are getting too skinny! What are you doing?"
    Me: "Heroin. Have a good day."
  • cursiny
    cursiny Posts: 907 Member
    Options

LOVE IT
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I dropped from UK size 16 to size 14. When my family were asking about it and I said I was aiming for size 12 by summer but hopefully 10, my sister said 'There's no way you'll get to a (UK) size 10, you're not built small enough. It's not possible.' Her reasoning was that she wears 12 and is slim. Excuse me? You're also taller than me. I'm 5'4, there's no reason I can't get to a size 10.

My mum once told me I'll never be "skinny" as i'm not built like that. I'm not a size 8/10 UK.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options

I wish there was a like button!
  • britXbijou
    Options

probably one of the most ignorant and rudest things ive read on here. how is this funny or likable? it shows a lack of manners and awareness, it would not be funny to joke about losing weight by being anorexic/bulimic/cancerous why is addiction acceptable? especially heroin.
  • bashfulbirdie
    bashfulbirdie Posts: 4 Member
    Options

...i also get a lot of, do you even eat anymore?? I'd like to tell them, ummmm..yeah, like wayyy more than most people!

I know! I find it funny that I eat 5 meals a day and still lose weight! It's awesome!
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I don't like to talk about my weightloss to anyone, other than here on the internet. I feel like it makes me less in control, and like I'm now I'm going to be disappointing someone else if I backslide. I'm doing this for me, not for anyone else, and I get to decide how I feel about my progress and my setbacks. I also don't like the inevitable suggestion offering (ex. Have you tried Atkins, Southbeach, Shakeology, etc.....uh, no, and I don't plan too..), or how people feel like they then need to justify why what I'm doing wont work for them.

My close friends and family know that I'm watching what I eat, and that I've started going to the gym, but that's it. I live by myself, so it's easy to not go into detail about why I'm weighing my food, or scanning barcodes, haha!
  • vixx1405
    vixx1405 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    New tape worm?

Haha I love this next time some one asks how ive lost weight looking for a quick fix im going to tell them I got some new worms as the old ones stopped pulling their weight
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!