Things People Say When You've Lost Weight

Options
1171819202123»

Replies

• teeduran
    teeduran Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    bless you sweetie get better and it's all about you forget others...
  • RuchikaPal
    RuchikaPal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Thanks for creating this wonderful thread....loved every damn post of all you lovely and inspiring people.... Someday hopefully ill also get yo share my experience on this thread.... Love you awesome people.... :flowerforyou:
  • crazyqueencarla
    crazyqueencarla Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I had something like this for the first time this past Friday. My husband (who has also been lost about 30lbs and is now super fit) and I were at a family dinner with his family. Pretty much everyone in his family is a bit bigger and had SO many questions and odd remarks for us.
    I didn't mind the questions, I know most of them are trying or have tried to lose weight at one point or another... and I have no problem sharing what's helped me. But the odd remarks were just strange.
    For instance, pretty much everything I ate was looked at and asked whether or not it fit in my 'diet'... I had a small bowl of ice cream because it fit in my calories and everyone was remarking about how it must be a cheat day and I'm indulging myself. They seemed pretty flabbergasted when I said I eat whatever I want so long as I have the calories.
    I dunno, it was strange to say the very least....
  • incantarix
    Options
    This older lady at work told me not to lose much more so I didn't "get that insect look".

Uh...ok...

Hah this made me laugh! I am intrigued to know what "that insect look" is, and why she fears it! Has X-files episode written all over it!
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I can see from the comments here, and do understand that some people enjoy others noticing all the weight loss effort and saying something complimentary. I get why, it is hard work and most of us are feeling better for it. But I think commenting on weight loss is a sticky situation to manage gracefully for most people. Not everyone wants to talk about it. I'd prefer people didn't comment. I guess in my perfect world they wouldn't notice how I look, better or worse. If I'm going to be in a situation where I'm the center of attention I'd rather it be for my character than my appearance. If we're friends lets talk about common interests, hopes and dreams, laugh about old times....but I don't really want to account for my health and fitness choices good or bad and don't feel qualified to coach others. If we're colleagues lets talk about a project, or tell me you appreciate me looking you in the eye and being honest, or sharing a clever idea, or tell me you are grateful if I've been kind....but I don't really want to talk about my weight if I'm heavier or if I'm thinner. If we're family you get more latitude, but ultimately I'm a grown up who makes my own decisions and choices about my health and fitness for me and me alone. I understand and appreciate the concern of my family but I'm not seeking their approval. Some people might not say anything because of folks like me who don't like questions that leave little social room for ignoring (like "have you lost weight?" or "are you ok?") or maybe they've tried to be encouraging at some point and said "you look great, tell me how you're losing all that weight" and learned that newly thinner person is now a chemo patient. If a friend, family member, or even colleague came to me to talk about their weight....like "my doctor says I need to lose weight and I wonder if you'd be willing to field some questions?" I'd be willing to help, but honestly then we'd be talking about their weight, not mine! I've gotten lots of well intentioned comments similar to those described here. I've gotten a few of those back handed jabs ("wow, you look so much better"). No thanks, don't really want any of it. I guess the one that I thought was best came from a colleague I have a long friendly relationship with who as we passed in the hall one day simply smiled and said "you're smokin'!" and never broke stride. No lingering for an awkward discussion just a fly by compliment that encompassed all of me not just the weight loss. That's what I guess I'd recommend because it gives the acknowledgement some would like in a way those who might be more shy about it could also manage. However, if the two are of opposite gender it might not be a good idea at all!
  • johnnyhatesjazz
    johnnyhatesjazz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    They were just jealous. ::laugh:
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    People don't say anything. I only lost enough to get into my weight class (8lbs) and I'm tall.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!