Juicers... worth it?

Hi,

Im thinking about getting a juicer, but I have a question about all the pulp that gets left behind, isnt this a vital part of the fruit and veg? Would I be better off sticking to my hand blender and having a bulkier drink?

Replies

• My opinion is that it's only a good idea if you have, say, a garden and use compost :) Then you could place the pulp in your compost bin and not waste it! Otherwise, I think the pulp left behind has vital nutrients that would be worth consuming. So unless you have a compost bin or some great use for the leftover pulp, I'd say invest in a good blender instead ^_^
  • You'd be better off just eating the fruit.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    You lose nutrients by juicing... Just an FYI
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Gut check - does it feel right to you to remove some of the nutrients and all of the fiber and just drink all of the sugars and some of the nutrients?

No?

Just eat the fruit. If you don't feel like chewing(?), blend your whole fruit into a smoothie.
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    mine is big, bulky hard to clean and loud. And most of the fruit is thrown away. waste of money.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    I love my juicer, but admittedly it isn't for everyone. The point of juicing is to get quick, easy to absorb nutrients into your body. As long as you do not fast, you will most likely continue to eat fruits and veggies and get plenty of fiber.

Depending on what I juice, I often save the pulp and add it into meals I'm making. Turkey burgers with hidden veggies and fiber are awesome! Sometimes compost is the easiest though.
  • CydSteele
    CydSteele Posts: 11 Member
    Hi,
    Just playing the other side. We have a juicer and use it everyday. We make 2-3 litres of mostly vegetable juice a day. Sometimes I add the juice I've made into a smoothie.

I keep the vegetable pulp and make the most incredible crackers. (I add in seeds, nuts and spices) They are awesome. I also throw pulp into sauces, chilli, and muffins etc.

We've lost weight, but my biggest change with juicing has been a complete end to headaches IBS issues and PMS.
    For our family, it has been a fabulous purchase, freeing us from processed food and drinks that had become staples.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    I love juicing for a jump start to weight loss or when I hit a plateau. It's motivating for me to see the scale actually go down. Yes, it is easy to gain the weight back quickly, and I know this from experience, but it also comes off quickly which is satisfying to me. There are plenty of people against it, but that is their own choice.
    And, one thing I love, is that you can make fresh orange and grapefruit juice! Fresh orange juice tastes like an orange Julius without all the added sugar.
    Check out this website if you are looking to lose weight with juicing: http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/

And also, I compost the waste to put in my garden. After the snow melts in the spring, I just dump it on the garden and till it in. I have yet to reuse the waste in anything, mostly because I'm to lazy to separate carrot waste from lemon waste. I don't want lemony meatloaf!
  • carolineire
    carolineire Posts: 65 Member
    Thanks all. I just ended up blending everything, and while it was a teeny bit lumpy, I can live with that ;)