What do you think of the BMI?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I don't know of any that would take build into account so people with a narrow & broad frame are perhaps unfairly treated equally by general BMI type formulae

Isn't that why there is a range?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    It told me I'm too short.
    Have you by chance ever been to Mordor with a lad named Sam?
    I have. My axe approves of this response.
  • MickeyBoo
    MickeyBoo Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    In a country where 2/3rds of the population are overweight or obese, (thus establishing the norm) it doesn't surprise me that people who see themselves as at a normal weight would view a tool that paints a more objective picture with skepticism.

I think it is a good tool in general. Consider that it accounts for variations in things like frame size and other individual differences by offering a wide range for a healthy weight.

^this.

It excludes people who have a large overall muscle mass and also some ethnic groups. I generally like it as a guide, I managed to lose weight down to the very top range of a healthy BMI for me years ago and I thought that was just about right for my build.
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options

That's right. I'm not overweight; I'm undertall. :laugh:

Seriously, it's a general guide.
    Unless you're a professional athlete, I'd say it's a pretty good guide to follow.

Just for kicks, I looked up the BMI of a local football player who is a similar height and weight to me, and the calculator said he's obese.
    This dude runs a 4.39 40 yard dash, can bench 18 reps of 225 lbs, and has a 36" vertical and looks like this:
    MJD32.jpg
    I don't think he's obese.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    It puts my son at overweight but he is solid muscle. It is a tool and not an absolute. I just use it as a guide like weight and measurements.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I think it's stupid. According to it I am just barely healthy/slightly overweight, but I am thinner than I was when I was younger and weighed less.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    It has me at overweight.BAH.:angry:
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options

That's right. I'm not overweight; I'm undertall. :laugh:

Seriously, it's a general guide.
    Unless you're a professional athlete, I'd say it's a pretty good guide to follow.

Just for kicks, I looked up the BMI of a local football player who is a similar height and weight to me, and the calculator said he's obese.
    This dude runs a 4.39 40 yard dash, can bench 18 reps of 225 lbs, and has a 36" vertical and looks like this:
    MJD32.jpg
    I don't think he's obese.
    Dat jaw though.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I think it is a good general guideline and is at least a starting point. Personally, I feel it *is* accurate for me.

It is not accurate, for example, for my daughter. Her BMI puts her in the high end of the normal range. However, she has very little body fat and a lot of muscle (gymnastics and competitive cheerleading). She looks much tinier than the BMI scale would make it seem, compared to her peers. Her doctor usually checks it and then looks at her and says "yep, still a gymnast." LOL
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    BMI is a generic measurement used to screw people over. Just wait people under the affordable care act (Obamacare); your health care premiums will be increased due to body Mass Index. That's right its coming. Now for what I think; according to BMI I am Obese; becasue I am 5'8" and weigh 205. However, I am what I would call ultra fit for a 40 something. I spent 3 hours and 36 minutes exercising yesterday. All high intensity. Obese people don't do that. But becasue the department of Health and Human Services released a new regulation tied to Obamacare we will all be punished based on BMI..
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I treat it with a great deal of skepticism. We live in a time of plenty where it is far more reasonable to expect to achieve an optimal physique and health, and it's a tool designed in a time where food was a far more precious resource, and you did what you could to get by.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Adrian-Peterson.jpg

His BMI is - 28.6

He only ran for 2,097 yards last year. What a fat *kitten*
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    Every time I step on the scale now I'll think "Ugh, thanks, Obama!"
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    Adrian-Peterson.jpg

His BMI is - 28.6

He only ran for 2,097 yards last year. What a fat *kitten*
    He's like those people you see going around Walmart in electronic shopping carts. Fatty fatty fat cakes!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I'm using it as my guideline. I think it's an accurate range of healthy weight for most people. Yes, there are exceptions who are so muscular that BMI says they're overweight when they're actually fit, but that's never going to be me. Or most of you.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't even think it 's a good guideline...

I am 5ft 7inches and 169 lbs...size 9...puts me at over weight now, prior to the 35lb loss I was "obese"...Really?? I don't think so...definately overweight but not obese.

I am in the same size clothing as I was when I was 15...but I weighed less then...

It doesn't take into account muscle mass, bone density/size etc.

My "healthy" weight range according to it is 121-140...at my smallest I was 158lbs (in the military and hard everywhere) I am currently aiming for bf% which to me is a better indicator of health as opposed to BMI
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I'm using it as my guideline. I think it's an accurate range of healthy weight for most people. Yes, there are exceptions who are so muscular that BMI says they're overweight when they're actually fit, but that's never going to be me. Or most of you.

Really??? perhaps that statement should read those of you who are not lifting weight....it already has me at overweight in a size 9 and appx 25% BF (which is too high for my liking but that is coming down)
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    No, I reject the edit of my statement. I wear a size 8 now. I'm still overweight. What I hear a lot of people saying is, "But BMI says I'm fat...and I look good!" It's not an attractiveness scale.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Outdated practice
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    No, I reject the edit of my statement. I wear a size 8 now. I'm still overweight. What I hear a lot of people saying is, "But BMI says I'm fat...and I look good!" It's not an attractiveness scale.

How does sizing run in Sweden?