What do you think of the BMI?

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    No, I reject the edit of my statement. I wear a size 8 now. I'm still overweight. What I hear a lot of people saying is, "But BMI says I'm fat...and I look good!" It's not an attractiveness scale.

Never said it was an "attractiveness scale" what I said was a lot of us lift weights and that will put us in the overweight category based on BMI, which is a measurment of groups not individuals it is meant to be used as a simple means of classifying sedentary (physically inactive) populations, with an average body composition not active individuals.

You may fall into it's "guidelines" but I definately don't and there are a number of people here who don't either so there are a number of exceptions in this thread as well as on this site...saying "most of you" is a blanket statement that is quite probably false.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    No, I reject the edit of my statement. I wear a size 8 now. I'm still overweight. What I hear a lot of people saying is, "But BMI says I'm fat...and I look good!" It's not an attractiveness scale.

Never said it was an "attractiveness scale" what I said was a lot of us lift weights and that will put us in the overweight category based on BMI, which is a measurment of groups not individuals it is meant to be used as a simple means of classifying sedentary (physically inactive) populations, with an average body composition not active individuals.

You may fall into it's "guidelines" but I definately don't and there are a number of people here who don't either so there are a number of exceptions in this thread as well as on this site...saying "most of you" is a blanket statement that is quite probably false.

QFT! :smile:
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options

How come blanket statements never feel warm and cozy like an actual blanket?!
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I think for most people it is a good guide, but I really think bf% is a better guage of whether or not you're at a healthy weight.
  • KaylaCCarroll
    KaylaCCarroll Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I personally do not think it is accurate because I am African American 5'0 and weigh 187. And it says for me to be a healthy BMI my weight would be 94-124 pounds. There is no way I will every be that size and still look healthy. And I currently wear a size 12 in juniors.
  • Deadlay
    Deadlay Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My BMI is 31 but at my last annual physical my doctor told me he knew it was inaccurate because of my build. I am more inclined to use the WYB scale.

The WYB scale (would you bang?) is much more accurate.

"Hey, good work at the gym, I'd totally bang you."
  • SezxyStef
    Options

How come blanket statements never feel warm and cozy like an actual blanket?!

cause they are full of holes...apparently crocheted not knit.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you're using it for. Having a BMI in the "healthy" range doesn't necessarily mean you are healthy, and being in the "overweight" range doesn't necessarily mean you are unhealthy. But I don't think it's outrageous to use the chart as a rough guide for choosing a weight goal. It is not so far off base as to not be useful in that regard for most people. It's not what I prefer to use, but I've been at this for a long time. I'm close to goal, and I have a better idea of what I will look like when I reach my goal, so I don't really need to use a standardized scale that says "You'll be at a healthy weight when you're between X and Y."
  • highervibes
    Options
    My BMI is 31 but at my last annual physical my doctor told me he knew it was inaccurate because of my build. I am more inclined to use the WYB scale.

The WYB scale (would you bang?) is much more accurate.

"Hey, good work at the gym, I'd totally bang you."

lol yeah, totally!
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many people on this site who state that the BMI calculator doesn't apply to them are indeed professional body builders or olympic athletes.
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    BMI is a generic measurement used to screw people over. Just wait people under the affordable care act (Obamacare); your health care premiums will be increased due to body Mass Index. That's right its coming. Now for what I think; according to BMI I am Obese; becasue I am 5'8" and weigh 205. However, I am what I would call ultra fit for a 40 something. I spent 3 hours and 36 minutes exercising yesterday. All high intensity. Obese people don't do that. But becasue the department of Health and Human Services released a new regulation tied to Obamacare we will all be punished based on BMI..

I work out like that and I am obese. (albeit barely, at this point) I rode 50 miles in one sitting a couple of months ago when I weighed about 30 pounds more than I do now, and I regularly go on several hour bike rides at a 14+ mph pace.

I am 6'2" and my goal is to weigh less than you do now. Maybe somewhere between 180 and 190. This is as someone who has a large frame size.

Most people would probably look at me now and say that I am overweight, but not obese. I think that is because our views have been shaped by how normal it is to be overweight today rather than by what is truly a healthy weight.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many people on this site who state that the BMI calculator doesn't apply to them are indeed professional body builders or olympic athletes.

Here are some olympic athletes for you....

original.jpg

No one said you had to be a professional body builder or olympic athlete. Regular people doing regular weight training can build enough muscle to render the BMI scale useless for themselves.

FYI: "Thin" is not everyone's goal. Some people (myself included) aim for a stronger body.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    BMI is a generic measurement used to screw people over. Just wait people under the affordable care act (Obamacare); your health care premiums will be increased due to body Mass Index. That's right its coming. Now for what I think; according to BMI I am Obese; becasue I am 5'8" and weigh 205. However, I am what I would call ultra fit for a 40 something. I spent 3 hours and 36 minutes exercising yesterday. All high intensity. Obese people don't do that. But becasue the department of Health and Human Services released a new regulation tied to Obamacare we will all be punished based on BMI..

My husband's company already uses it as part of their formula, to see if you'll get an annual HSA contribution. That along with blood work numbers (cholesterol etc). My husband's blood work isn't great and unless he decides to do something about it, we'll lose his part of the contribution next year. A lot of companies are going to this kind of insurance (HSAs with requirements to get contributions).
  • Deadlay
    Deadlay Posts: 135 Member
    Options

No one said you had to be a professional body builder or olympic athlete. Regular people doing regular weight training can build enough muscle to render the BMI scale useless for themselves.

FYI: "Thin" is not everyone's goal. Some people (myself included) aim for a stronger body.

Thank you
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Thank you

+2

I personally don't care what my weight is...I want a healthy BF% and to be able to do pull ups/chin ups again and bench more then my husband and/or son.
  • highervibes
    Options

exactly. It's not going to be 100% accurate but I think it's reasonable to say that the average person could certainly use it as a guideline.
  • SpleenlessGal
    SpleenlessGal Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Nice guideline, just don't follow it 100%.
  • bunn_ee
    bunn_ee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    In a country where 2/3rds of the population are overweight or obese, (thus establishing the norm) it doesn't surprise me that people who see themselves as at a normal weight would view a tool that paints a more objective picture with skepticism.

I think it is a good tool in general. Consider that it accounts for variations in things like frame size and other individual differences by offering a wide range for a healthy weight.

YES!!
    BMI provides a healthy weight range which is just that...a RANGE. usually when i hear people complaining about the BMI not being accurate it's b/c they are chunky monkeys.

generally speaking when you see someone who is average "fit" level (eg: not a body builder, pro athlete, or human anomaly) they would fall within their height and weight for a healthy weight.
  • waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    BMI is so flawed it's not even funny. There are lots of things it doesn't take in account like body types. I have no real use for it.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options

original.jpg

I never said thin was everybody's goal. Where did you see me say that?

In my own experience, eating healthy got me to a BMI of 18.5. I definitely didn't starve myself to get here, and I strength train regularly. Of course, I am only basing this on my own experience, but I don't think I'm that much of a special snowflake. I think a lot of people short change themselves when setting goal weights of a BMI of 26 or higher because they only think that's as low as they can go.

I do agree that BF% is more important than BMI, but chances are, if you get yourself to an acceptable body fat/muscle percentage, you will most likely be in the middle of your BMI. Most likely - not 100%, of course.