People who request "motivated" friend.

Options
124»

Replies

• 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I do not have time to read everyone's diary every day but if a friend is struggling and asking questions I will take the time and look at their diary for a few weeks and provide my thoughts. I try to always give praise for exercise, remember a 10 minute walk to some folks on here is like running a marathon. I like reading through the news feed often but again I try to limit my time or I will be on here all day.

That being said I do get frustrated sometimes when I constantly comment on a friend's status/progress and get nothing in return. But that's okay at the same time. In the end this is my journey.

Finally, I have made some wonderful and outstanding friends on here too.
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of curious what it is people consider "motivational."
    What do you expect your friends to do, exactly?
    **RML*...for me motivation means to encourage a person's efforts to stay on track, and when they fall off to keep sending notes depending on your "developed relationship".
    I have someone on my FL who used to go through every one of her friends' walls and comment on everything. She got super burned out by doing that. And even though it affected her real-world life, she actually felt terribly guilty when she decided to cut back on her time here. That shouldn't happen.
    Like I said, I like intelligence and a sense of humor. I only cut people who say very offensive things and that's only happened maybe twice.
    I've removed people for being offensive. Fortunately, like you, not often. I keep my FL small, and active...but I have also kept good friends from the beginning who became *inactive*, hoping one day they will revitalize...and if they don't after a while, I send a note saying I need to remove them for more active friends, I have also sent my personal email for them to keep in touch. I have enjoyed my time here on MFP. It *is* good social interaction, keeps me accountable to myself, and it *is* a VERY serious matter to my own health and fitness :) I see it is for a LOT of people, and of course, good luck to us all :):drinker:
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I agree.

I delete people because they never comment on anything I do. I delete those same people that are attention *kitten*. They will post post post things about themselves, but never offer an encouraging word to you or others. I would comment away and say wtg, congrats, and of course try to have a conversation, however they are too caught up in themselves to respond. If I'm ignored, they will be deleted....I'm needy like that. lol
  • Krista916
    Options
    I'm kind of curious what it is people consider "motivational."

What do you expect your friends to do, exactly?

Quite frankly, I'm not the one requesting motivational friends. All I'm trying to say is that if someone else is asking for friend who are supportive and helpful, just please be clear that you have no intention on doing the same for anyone who reponds to your request.

Example, I am a runner so it is always nice to have other friends who are runners. So when I post a comment in my feed that says "Race day" I would like to think that one of the runner friends I have acquired (thru their request) just simply say "good luck."

I'm not looking for anyone to pull me out of bed or fix my meals for me or tell me what I need to do, or tell me how awesome I'm doing. I'm just simply saying that if OTHERS are going to beg for friendship then at least be friendly in return.

Trust me, I also have a life and MFP is a very, very small part of it. I may not always have time to comment on every little thing that people are doing, but again I'm not the one who was requesting motivated friends.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I would be a highly motivated friend.

I would not be a highly motivational friend.

People who request "motivated" friends may be asking the wrong question ...

Although accurate, this differentiation is perhaps lost to many.

To be fair, I'm only going by the number of posts dealing with "loosing" weight, however.
  • TeresaMarie46
    TeresaMarie46 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Oh definitely has my share. Apparently they feel that the "motivating" isn't a 2 way lane. Once I see that they are not supportive in return, I wait about 2 weeks just to give them the benefit of doubt. Most cases nothing changed......delete.
  • DeathOn2Legs
    Options
    I don't expect my friends to motivate me because I know that I'm not motivational myself. Once again, give and take just in a different way.:smile:
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Your speaking my language right now...