I Will Never Have an "After" Picture...

Options
That's what I think every time I drool over the Success Stories thread. I mean, I see people of all shapes and sizes who have lost MASSIVE amounts of weight, and I feel SO detached from it. I see where they all write, "If I can do it...anyone can do it!" I do not count myself in that "anyone" category. I am 33 years old (well, I will be in a month), 5' 3", and fluctuating between 175 and 180. At my heaviest, I was 255 with Type 2 diabetes...and I was only 25 years old. In about a year, I had lost close to 90 pounds, and I was officially NOT diabetic anymore. My time spent in the "160's" didn't even last a year. I slowly gained back up to 210...which shocked me! I swore I'd never see that "2" in front of my weight ever again. Now...I've lost 30 pounds in the 6 months that I've been on MFP. I keep "upping" my goal weight. When I first started, and I was all gung ho on getting fit and healthy, I set my goal weight at 135 which is still not the lowest in the range of my "healthy" weight. Now...I just want to see the 160's again.

I have some sort of mental block. I try to imagine myself at a healthy weight all the time. In my brain, I try to see myself being fit and healthy. (I've never wanted to be "skinny"...I've always wanted to look "athletic"!) I ran in high school every day. I was a cheerleader. I played sports. I never had an emotional eating issue. From the time I was around 19...I have always been 160 or higher.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a smart chick. I know LOGICALLY that I could get down to a healthy weight for my height. However, something just BLOCKS me from actually getting there. I know, logically, that I need to make this a lifestyle change...not just something temporary. I know, logically, what I need to do to lose the weight. I know, logically, that I haven't been logging my food or exercise since reaching 30 pounds lost...and that I need to start back up again. My MFP buddies have seen me post at LEAST five times in the past few months something like, "I know I haven't been around much lately...but I'm getting back to it!!" Yeah, no...I don't "get back to it". As an adult, I've never seen the scale say anything less than 160-something. As an adult, I've never fit into anything smaller than a size 10...and that was only for about two weeks. So, the only "mental picture" I have to go off of is a picture of me from high school...and let's face it...I'm not 16 anymore. My body will never be 16 years old again. But I KNOW it can be the best it's been as an adult.

So...here's where I need help. I KNOW all the logical stuff. But how do I reconcile the logic with everything else? I know it takes more than willpower. I know I need to just "get up and do it". But I feel like my "get up and do it" has "gotten up and GONE"!!! So, how do I keep going? How do I convince myself that my "after picture" is possible and achievable? How do I keep pushing myself when I'm NOT motivated?? I really would like to hear from people that have gone through this before. I don't know if this is the right forum to post this on...but I could really use some good advice! Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Because you don't want it bad enough thats why ..

If you really wanted it you would go out and take whats rightfully yours to have in the first place....

Wait whats that ? You say you do want it ? Then you need to pull yourself up by your boot straps and step your *kitten* out into the sun light and start moving..

IN order to be successful you need to change your mind because before your body will change, the mind has to go first.. I think you need to spend a little mirror time with your self.. Look your self right in the eyes and tell yourself, "I can do this, I want this, I am a champion because champions win and I am a winner."

You are still in your old mindset the, mind set that wants to stay home where its comfortable and safe.. Well you have to get uncomfortable if you want to see change .. because when you are uncomfortable is when the real results happen..

You need to not look at the big picture.. You need to take this one day at a time... For what is each day? Its nothing but a series of conflicts between the right way and the easy way....

Ten thousand streams fan out like a delta before you offering you the path of least resistance on daily basis but winners head up stream.. The easy way will always be there ready to wash you away .. You are being washed away right now.... How does that feel ?

Each step you take comes with the decision to take another and you NEED to decide to take that next step because once you begin there is no turning back... Turning back rewards you with nothing but shame.. And winners don't do shame.. They Win.. You want to win right ?

You will always have that voice, that devil in side of you telling you this is stupid, this is uncomfortable, this is a waste of time.. That devil is you .. Thats the old you going to war with the new you breaking free... You need to Drown out that voice with the sound of your heart beat, you need to burn away that self doubt with the fire lit beneath you!!! Because those who want it bad, are the ones who go out and take it... Those are the winners.. Which are you going to be ?

How bad do you want it ?
  • ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Can you start running again? Do nothing else and just start running. You'd be amazed at the things you will learn about yourself and your body.

Go to this guy's blog: http://angryjogger.com/10-subtle-ways-that-running-will-change-your-life-dramatically-for-the-better.html

Read #2 carefully: You will learn that self-doubt is only a temporary mental barrier.
  • garrisonwife
    garrisonwife Posts: 129 Member
    Options

If you really wanted it you would go out and take whats rightfully yours to have in the first place....

Wait whats that ? You say you do want it ? Then you need to pull yourself up by your boot straps and step your *kitten* out into the sun light and start moving..

IN order to be successful you need to change your mind because before your body will change, the mind has to go first.. I think you need to spend a little mirror time with your self.. Look your self right in the eyes and tell yourself, "I can do this, I want this, I am a champion because champions win and I am a winner."

You are still in your old mindset the, mind set that wants to stay home where its comfortable and safe.. Well you have to get uncomfortable if you want to see change .. because when you are uncomfortable is when the real results happen..

You need to not look at the big picture.. You need to take this one day at a time... For what is each day? Its nothing but a series of conflicts between the right way and the easy way....

Ten thousand streams fan out like a delta before you offering you the path of least resistance on daily basis but winners head up stream.. The easy way will always be there ready to wash you away .. You are being washed away right now.... How does that feel ?

Each step you take comes with the decision to take another and you NEED to decide to take that next step because once you begin there is no turning back... Turning back rewards you with nothing but shame.. And winners don't do shame.. They Win.. You want to win right ?

You will always have that voice, that devil in side of you telling you this is stupid, this is uncomfortable, this is a waste of time.. That devil is you .. Thats the old you going to war with the new you breaking free... You need to Drown out that voice with the sound of your heart beat, you need to burn away that self doubt with the fire lit beneath you!!! Because those who want it bad, are the ones who go out and take it... Those are the winners.. Which are you going to be ?

How bad do you want it ?

This. This is what I need to hear/read...every single day. Seriously. I may just print this out and tape it to every surface of my house. I need more "slap in the face" instead of "holding my hand". Thanks, man. Really!
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm the same hun. I have 0 clue what a non overweight body would look on me. I was over 180 by the time I was 13. I cannot imagine myself at 140 or with my target body fat %. I take it 5 lbs at a time to keep myself motivated. I focus on fitness goals. You can do it MB!
  • garrisonwife
    Options
    Can you start running again? Do nothing else and just start running. You'd be amazed at the things you will learn about yourself and your body.

Go to this guy's blog: http://angryjogger.com/10-subtle-ways-that-running-will-change-your-life-dramatically-for-the-better.html

Read #2 carefully: You will learn that self-doubt is only a temporary mental barrier.

Actually, no...I cannot run anymore, though I really wish I could. I have a rare bone disease (long, LONG story) but basically, my bones are dying...and I've had my left hip replaced already (when I was 27) and I will be getting my right hip, both knees and both shoulders replaced as well. It's painful and I have SOME mobility issues. HOWEVER...just because I can't actually RUN...doesn't mean I can't do ANYTHING. I can do the elliptical just fine most days. I belong to a gym with a pool, etc. I just need to kick my own rear a little more, I guess! I will check out that link, though. Thank you!! :-)
  • garrisonwife
    Options
    I'm the same hun. I have 0 clue what a non overweight body would look on me. I was over 180 by the time I was 13. I cannot imagine myself at 140 or with my target body fat %. I take it 5 lbs at a time to keep myself motivated. I focus on fitness goals. You can do it MB!

Thanks, my ROCKSTAR!! I just feel SO STUCK. Like, every night, I talk myself into getting all ramped up to get my behind up and go to the gym...and then...I don't. I've always been the kind of person who goes after what I want until I have it...but when it comes to getting healthy...it's like my brain just won't go there. I don't know what my problem is. I'm thinking of re-evaluating why I'm doing this, writing it all down and plastering it all over the place to keep myself in that mindset. Or just print off what the first dude posted...cause really, I needed that. Ha. Thanks, my dearest Aubie fan! I love you!!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    You over came diabetes and yet you don't see yourself as a success story? Girl, I was 28 when I diagnosed with diabetes, over came and gained weight back and went up and down, finally got my head on straight and here I sit 132 lbs lighter, 2 lbs below my goal weight, but with new goals ahead.

Stop looking at how far you have to go and look and see what you have already done.

My mother who is in her 50's has lost over 100 lbs, she did that in a year. How is she doing it? She learned that will power is a muscle and it has to be flexed and worked out to grow. She learned the difference between commitment and interest. She learned that she didn't put it on over night and it won't come off over night. She wanted it as bad as she wanted to breathe, that's how she's successful, that's how all of us are successful, when you want it so bad that nothing else can stand in your way, you go and get it.

Excuses don't get us anywhere, dreaming is good but reaching for them dreams is when they become a reality.

You can be a success story, negativity won't get you there. You must have a positive attitude, you must believe in yourself and you don't that is vivid. If you think you can or you think you can't you're right, it's all in your mind.
  • garrisonwife
    Options
    You over came diabetes and yet you don't see yourself as a success story? Girl, I was 28 when I diagnosed with diabetes, over came and gained weight back and went up and down, finally got my head on straight and here I sit 132 lbs lighter, 2 lbs below my goal weight, but with new goals ahead.

Stop looking at how far you have to go and look and see what you have already done.

My mother who is in her 50's has lost over 100 lbs, she did that in a year. How is she doing it? She learned that will power is a muscle and it has to be flexed and worked out to grow. She learned the difference between commitment and interest. She learned that she didn't put it on over night and it won't come off over night. She wanted it as bad as she wanted to breathe, that's how she's successful, that's how all of us are successful, when you want it so bad that nothing else can stand in your way, you go and get it.

Excuses don't get us anywhere, dreaming is good but reaching for them dreams is when they become a reality.

You can be a success story, negativity won't get you there. You must have a positive attitude, you must believe in yourself and you don't that is vivid. If you think you can or you think you can't you're right, it's all in your mind.

Thank you so much for this! I am the WORST at letting negative self talk get the best of me. I know I need to ignore it or replace it or just get up and kick *kitten* every day. I just have a hard time figuring out HOW to stop the negative thought cycle. You're right...I don't believe in myself. I don't want to make excuses anymore. I guess I need to figure out how to get back in this every single day without letting that doubt creep in all the time.
  • love2bthin
    love2bthin Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this topic....I needed to read and hear this today. You have opened my eyes and I thank you for this. No more excuses:smile: I can do this!!!!!!!
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    just go to it....just go do whatever it is you can and please consider only having people on your friends list who work out most days and have successes to share. They will motivate you more the the ones who are in your same mindset and need YOUR encouragement...right now you need OUR encouragement so take some time out; reassess your friends list, and go get movin' honey....I KNOW YOU CAN. Go be a rock star girl :drinker:
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    You know that goalpost you set yourself? Move it.

Move it back. Move it forward. It doesn't matter.

Just set it somewhere and keep sight of it and run toward it or crawl toward it as long as you're moving TOWARD it.

I think you might benefit from setting yourself smaller goals. If the task of reaching your 'goal weight' seems to be too daunting, try setting yourself a goal of losing 5lbs. You'll do it. You know you will. And then you pick up that goalpost and you move it again, maybe 10 this time, just to see if you can do it. And you will. You know you will.

tumblr_mm2p16JiZo1qdsopio1_500.gif
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Instead of focusing on the big picture, break your goals down to smaller ones and celebrate them when you reach them.
  • robsonv
    robsonv Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Instead of focusing on the big picture, break your goals down to smaller ones and celebrate them when you reach them.

This!
    On this journey EVERY pound lost is a success, and for that matter even every pound NOT GAINED is a success!
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options

How bad do you want it ?

This was awesome....THANK YOU!!

OP...thanks for posting! I sometimes feel the same way. Fortunately--I'm in that mode now where I've motivated and sticking to plan, but I know all too well the feeling of never going to get there! We just have to want it bad enough.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Do you think there might be some other underlying emotions, there? Are you self-sabotaging because you're actually AFRAID of getting to that "after picture?" I ask because this was my mindset in the past. I was able to use my weight as a way to keep people away from me - to avoid romantic relationships and just focus on work and my children. Or I would tell myself I can't afford to buy new clothes, so why lose weight?

For me, my husband is a huge help! He's never known me thin, God bless him, and he married me anyway! He helps because he's never driven (he's from NY), and he walks all over the place. Usually when he comes home from work at night he'll walk to the corner store to pick up a drink or snack or whatever. He always asks me to come along. Some walking is better than none, and it doesn't really feel like exercise because we're walking and talking and "going somewhere."

If you're not willing to make yourself go to a gym (I'm certainly not!), look for progams you can start that are short - there are Tony Horton videos that are only 15 minutes. There are kettle bell videos that are 20 minutes. Some physicality is better than none at all. THen when you build up a tolerance (and a taste) for it, you can increase it or move onto something else.

Do you like to dance? Maybe you and your significant other go out dancing once a week - or walk together, or ride bikes together, or whatever.
  • barefootprints
    barefootprints Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My wife had the same type of problme untill she downloaded some motovational apps on her ipod and started listening to one each night after we kiss goodnight. Now she is nearly at her goal weight and can pass by thoes temtations that use to knock her off her diet.
    Most of the apps are free, try some. Good luck, your much to young to give up.
  • sibeski
    Options

How bad do you want it ?

Great reply! In fact, I just emailed it to myself for the days I need an extra kick. Thanks!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Try setting non-weight specific goals for yourself. Physical achievements that will force you to train and accomplish things. This is why I like running races - they give me a definite timeline and a place to show up and see what I'm made of. I know you said you don't run anymore, but that doesn't mean you couldn't do a bike race or some other type of event. Or take a new fitness class, etc.

It can give you the athletic validation you want and also maybe shed some weight on the way without keeping your mind focused on the number on a scale.

ETA: Also, while you may not be *exactly* as you were in high school, you can still get pretty close. I'm within 5 lbs of my high school weight now, even though I have no desire to actually be that weight again as an adult. Things are possible, you only need to imagine it is.
  • browntracy72
    browntracy72 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, I am going to be 41 in a week and when I was 36 I gained 45 pounds and I don’t know what happened. Thinking a nervous breakdown (adrenal fatigue) so since then I have worked out, ate healthy and got plenty of rest. I was able to lose 20 pounds so now at 5'5" 178 I am still struggling to get that last 25 pounds off. I have went to the doctors had blood work and all is healthy. My heart rate is perfect I am athletic and healthy.
    Will I ever see an after photo? NO I really feel I am stuck. I have talked to a nutritionist and the results are all is good. I eat clean organic and yes I get enough calories. I have tried so many different things in the past several years. Carb cycling, protein shakes… I currently am trying to lower my calories for a week and burn as many calories as I can for the week.
    I also am trying an appetite suppressant to see if this will also help. So I guess you can say you are not alone when it comes to getting the weight off. I have also logged my foods for years, tried several types of workouts and I lift weights. I am asking if anyone has anything they can add to see if there is anything that I have not tried, too please add.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options

How bad do you want it ?
    What this amazing guy just said!
    And you can have the body of a 16 year old if you have not had kiddos yet to stretch your hips - and even if you have - you can come awfully close. Quit telling yourself you can't - you can!