August Biking Challenge!!!

Options
Recently I have got into biking. Its easy on the body and great for your health!
I am still "new" (meaning not since childhood) at it.
Today I ask anyone who wants to join me in getting some powerhouse legs to try your hardest to make a month goal of
40 MILES. May sound like a lot but on a bike you would be suprised how short a mile feels.
Come join me it will be fun!
Remember 31 days 40 miles. Bring it on August!

Aug 1st ::: 5.48 miles
Total ::: 5.48miles
Goal ::: 40 miles

Replies

• kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Sounds good.....I can do this! :bigsmile:
  • maridm06
    maridm06 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    august 4th
    total miles:::8.04
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Clicked on this thread and dismissed it, I don't bike that often. Then I went to Mapmyrun and realized I'm almost half way, and it's only the 4th.

I have a Specialized Hardrock Mt Bike that I've had for 8 years. I dropped about $100 this spring on new tires, tubes, and other stuff making it ridable again.

I hadn't been riding that often. However, all of my kids have bikes now. And I bought my wife an old Schwinn from a co-worker for $20 yesterday. It just needs new tires and tubes. The drive train is in excellent shape. So, hopefully I'll be riding a little more.

8/1 : 16.5 dirt miles
    8/3 : 2.4 road miles
    Total : 18.9
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Count me in!

Aug 2: 15 miles
    Aug 3: 15 miles
    Aug 4: 15 miles (after work today)

I am shooting for 100 miles per week. I am recovering from a concussion, so 15 miles per day is plenty for me in this heat.

The course: Rolling farmlands in eastern PA, paved, no traffic.

The bike: Cannondale Synapse road bike.
  • twojurfin
    twojurfin Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am SO in. I love to ride my bike but I am also just a novice biker. I just have a cheap Lady Schwinn Mt Bike. I ride it through the town on sidewalks. I can usually clear 10-12 miles a day on it. But I need some advice. I took a break from biking to do the 30 day shred. I hate the shred. It gives me bad mojo. But even with the bad mojo I know I am getting a good workout and excellent toning. I don't know enough about biking.... what is the difference between all the different kinds of bikes? What kinds if different things can I do to get "better" workouts? Like I said, I just ride through town, stoplights and everything. My town is not very bicycle friendly so I stick to the sidewalks. Should I quit doing the shred everyday and just do the shred every other day and bike everyday. Or should I shred everyday and bike every other day? What do you guys think?
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    twojurfin,
    Nothing wrong with the bike you have, it serves its purpose. I would invest in a good cyclecomputer to show your speed and distances, some even tell your calories burned. If you hate the shred, my opinion only here, stop doing it. If it isnt fun you wont do it anyways, if it is fun you cant wait to do it and you put more effort into it. But ask yourself what your reasons you hate it are first. If its working that makes it kinda difficult to throw out the window! Bike as often as you want , its good exercise and fun.
  • iplayoutside19
    Options
    I am SO in. I love to ride my bike but I am also just a novice biker. I just have a cheap Lady Schwinn Mt Bike. I ride it through the town on sidewalks. I can usually clear 10-12 miles a day on it. But I need some advice. I took a break from biking to do the 30 day shred. I hate the shred. It gives me bad mojo. But even with the bad mojo I know I am getting a good workout and excellent toning. I don't know enough about biking.... what is the difference between all the different kinds of bikes? What kinds if different things can I do to get "better" workouts? Like I said, I just ride through town, stoplights and everything. My town is not very bicycle friendly so I stick to the sidewalks. Should I quit doing the shred everyday and just do the shred every other day and bike everyday. Or should I shred everyday and bike every other day? What do you guys think?

What are you trying to accomplish with your work outs? That would go a long way in determining what is "better" for you.

Way I look at it, you hate the shred, and love biking. So quit doing what you hate, and do what you love.

As far as bike stuff. I used to Mt Bike 4-5 times a week before I had kids, responsibilities, and a trip to the ER wasn't a big deal. For what you are doing with your bike, your bike is fine.
  • xarra
    xarra Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I cycle to work and back every day - about 2 miles. So in a month I probably do the 40 miles anyway!
  • twojurfin
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I have lost 50 lbs so far with just the bike. I LOVE my bike but I started to do the shred so that I could tone muscles and avoid skin flaps (the not attractive part of loosing so much weight!) Is biking simply considered cardio or will it tone too? Obviously, my legs are strong and toned- but what about upper body?
  • JennCh
    JennCh Posts: 63
    Options
    [
    Way I look at it, you hate the shred, and love biking. So quit doing what you hate, and do what you love.

I completely agree. I finally gave myself permission the other day to say enough with running--I absolutely hate every single second of running--and onward with the biking. I love being on the bike. My longest ride was two days ago, with 32 miles, and I can't tell you how wonderful it felt every single second I was pedaling. It was heaven. I've now signed up for two tours in September and am looking at two more in October. The excitement I feel from biking is what exercising should be about.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm a very keen recreational cyclist. There are things you can do to increase your fitness through biking, other than just cruising. For instance, a friend of mine said you need to really push yourself at least once every ride. So - pick a hill or a particular clear stretch and really get the heart thumping. Interval training is also great, like going as fast as you can between power-poles. I agree that a cycle-computer really increases the enjoyment of a ride, comparing speeds/distances/time of rides helps keep motivation and interest up.

On the topic of toning. Cycling will help the butt and the legs but not much else. I now go to the gym to get an upper body workout because you just can't get that on the bike. I also have to spend a bit of time stretching because if you do too much of one activity, without stretching, you are going to have probs.

BTW I don't really like the gym, but I go to an old ladies' one that only takes 1/2 hr, so I guess I can put up with it for that amount of time, and I'm definitely stronger!

GG
  • Kanakake
    Kanakake Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    so I have a bike that my husband bought me for mothers day and i have only used it once. I want to use it more but everytime I make a plan to go riding when my husband gets home from work I start to feel guilty about leaving him with our 2 children when i know he is tired from a hard days work. i have a trailor for the kids but my youngest is too young to ride in it at the moment. Anyways, I am still going to try and do this challenge. We shall see
  • twojurfin
    Options
    Kanake- I am just like you! My husband comes home from work and I always feel bad for leaving him with the kids I end up going later after the kids are in bed. I find that the ride gives my a great mental boost and it has actually helped my husband and my relationship. I feel better after the ride- thanks to those heavenly endorphins- and so my whole family benefits.
    Well- I am off for my night ride and I am skipping the shred for tonight!
  • ironweber717
    Options
    Embrace cycling! It's a great form of exercise. You will see an increase in muscle tone in your legs and butt. You should also see an increase in core strength and cardio ability. I ride between 100 to 180 miles a week. I didn't start out that way. When I started about a year ago I could just do 10 miles that was basically flat. I worked to improve the time it took to complete it then started to add miles. You should always push yourself to new goals. I've lost all my weight from cycling and good nutrition. Saturday I'm going to complete my first 120 mile ride.
  • singfree
    Options
    ironman, great post. You are right on the money, cycling is great for cardio and core conditioning. It's not just for the legs. When I am challenged on hills, the entire body goes into action. It is so much more interesting and enjoyable than working out in a gym.

Weather permitting, another 15 miles this evening, for a total of 60 miles since Monday.

Enjoy the ride!
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I am still grounded from my bike since my surgery but if your doing this next month I am in. 3 more weeks until I can ride. I can't wait.
  • iplayoutside19
    Options
    Went riding tonight. 8.4 miles, half dirt, half pavement. Brings the total to 27.3 for the month.

As I was suiting up I thought of something. Cycling is supposed to have an element of freedom to it. But I was getting ready to ride to night I put on: HRM, Camelback, helmet, and gloves...all for a 40 minute bike ride.

So, it begs the question. Do you guys just get on and ride? Or do you gear up like I do?
  • davidh53
    davidh53 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've been doing some casual biking with my teenage kids. You're challenge makes me want to start keeping a record to see just how many miles I'm covering. I should be able to find an Android phone app to help. Thanks for the challenge.
  • jclguru
    jclguru Posts: 123
    Options
    Went riding tonight. 8.4 miles, half dirt, half pavement. Brings the total to 27.3 for the month.

As I was suiting up I thought of something. Cycling is supposed to have an element of freedom to it. But I was getting ready to ride to night I put on: HRM, Camelback, helmet, and gloves...all for a 40 minute bike ride.

So, it begs the question. Do you guys just get on and ride? Or do you gear up like I do?

Depends on the mileage. If its only 40 minutes, there's no need for a camelback. I'd say just one water
    bottle should be all you need. When I ride anything over 2 hours, I always bring one water bottle and
    another bottle with Gatorade.

Helmet...always.

HRM...that's always with me since I also use it as my main watch now. Of course, there are
    time when I actually forget to turn it on :) I don't let it bother me though, cause its not like I'm
    not burning anything if I do forget :)

Gloves...again, depends on the mileage. Anything less than hour, I don't see a need. Anything
    over and I'll wear them.

Doug
  • singfree
    Options
    60 miles done since Monday, going for 100 miles through Sunday.

I always wear a helmet & eyewear, and padded bike shorts.

I hydrate before the ride and take one 24 ounce bottle for the 15 miles. It's mostly sunny and hot on the road, so water or Gatorade is best for me. I am recovering from a severe concussion, so one hour in the sun is plenty for me.