August Biking Challenge!!!

Options

Replies

• twojurfin
    twojurfin Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Another 6.5 miles tonight for 36.5 for the month!
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I only was able to do 60 miles last week because of the rain. That give me a total of 160 for the month.

MapMyRide is a great website for tracking and mapping your riding. It can also give you an estimate of how many cals you burned. It is fairly accurate compared with my HRM.
  • emalay
    emalay Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Ladies please don't feel guilty for leaving your family for a little while to do some exercise and take some much needed time for yourself. I know you will come back feeling clearer and ready to parent even more than before you left. I love my solitary bike ride times for this reason and my family is alway super understanding. In fact my kids even told me that they were proud of me for how long I have been biking lately!! Sometimes I will come home and my 7 year old son will be waiting for me with his bike and I'll keep going on with him for even longer!!
  • fudJy23
    fudJy23 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    17 miles tonight and it burned enough calories to let me eat dinner. Yay!

I'm finding that I have spent way too much time staring at the radar map on weather.com this year. There seems to be a constant threat of thunderstorms.
  • singfree
    Options
    Thunderstorms can be an almost daily problem during the summer. I checked the radar after work and there was a bid thunderstorm nearby, but it passed just to the south, missing us by just a mile or two.

I did 15 miles yesterday for a total of 175 for the month. That's about 2 lbs of fat burned off in just 2 weeks. I'll take it!
  • kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    8-08-10 2.60 miles
    8-11-10 7.04 miles
    8-12-10 1.57 miles
    8-17-10 2.32 miles

13.53 total for the month so far :grumble: I just haven't had the time that I normally do to get my riding in! Wanted to go more today, but what I did do was in the rain! :angry: Its either ungodly hot out or now raining! :mad: Oh well...I still have a few weeks to get it done!
  • singfree
    Options
    15 miles yesterday, for a total of 190 for the month. All this riding is really leaning out my body--finally!
  • twojurfin
    Options
    Got another 7 miles in. My month total is at 43.5 miles for the month.
  • singfree
    Options
    15 miles testerday, 205 for the month!
  • tmcowan
    tmcowan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Just saw this post and was glad to seet it. I'm part of a running challenge group but cross train on the bike and can't include my miles there. My bike miles for August so far are 108.4 miles.:smile:
  • singfree
    Options
    15 more last evening for a total of 220 for the month.
  • kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    8-08-10 2.60 miles
    8-11-10 7.04 miles
    8-12-10 1.57 miles
    8-17-10 2.32 miles
    8-21-10 3.49 miles

Total so far: 17.02 miles
  • RMX82
    RMX82 Posts: 172
    Options
    I'm new to biking and am thinking of a mileage goal to start out with. I think the 40 is too low for me. Well actually I know it is too low for me, since I'm already at 30.74 since this past Monday. So I average about 6 miles a day.
  • tmcowan
    Options
    Got in a quick 9.43 miles tonight which brings my monthly total to 117.83 m iles.
  • twojurfin
    Options
    Just 5 miles tonight. So- 48.5 miles for the month.
  • singfree
    Options
    15 miles yesterday for a total of 235 for the month.
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I missed this thread!

I'm glad I found another thread on cycling!

I also wanted to say Congrats to twojurfin!!
    Just found out that I am pregnant!!!

Wonderful news!

I really enjoy cycling, I'm an avid cyclist, or was but I took about a 15 year break :noway:

I'm happy to say I'm back at it again!

I live in Tokyo Japan and my wife and I run her family's liquor shop, I do the neighbourhood deliveries with my old Cannondale MTB and a trailer I built. I get some miles in each day with this, but I also go for longer rides when I can.

fukuyama_delivery.jpg
    My bike and trailer set up with some bottles of sake ready for a delivery.

I had the goal of hitting 500Km this month, but I'm not going to get there, the month got away from me :bigsmile:

On the topic of fitness, total fitness from cycling is decent, but to build upper body muscle I think it would be best to hit the gym, you don't need much, 30 minutes should do it.

I ride in Tokyo traffic everywhere, very hard to escape this metropolis, so water is not a problem for me, I can just about find a vending machine on every street corner.

You guys and gals who can ride out of the city, in the countryside, I envy you, I'm constantly fighting cagers, and traffic lights :grumble:

Still, it beats the heck out of the train!:bigsmile:

Glad I found you all here.

Cheers! :drinker:
  • tmcowan
    Options
    28.7 miles in this morning bringing my monthly total to 146.53 miles.
  • singfree
    Options
    It rained hard today, but I got a break this afternoon. Did another 15 miles for a total of 250.
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I added another 7km today doing deliveries, pulling my trailer, a couple of times it was really FULL of stuff too, close to 150 lbs.