Boob weight

Options
Just thought I would share this rather strange discussion I had with my Dr.

I have just had major abdominal surgery due to an ongoing medical condition. I went for my check up and was discussing my diet and weight loss. I will have to be on a very low fat diet from now on which should help with the weight so yaaay :D

However, when I asked about my ideal weight as per the BMI I was told to disregard it. According to the BMI chart as a medium framed 5 foot 4 inch woman I should be aiming to weigh about 140lbs, which I am nearly at now. My Dr proceeded to inform me that I should not aim to lose any more weight as I am not taking the weight of my boobs into account!!

Even when I am at my smallest (size 10 back in the day) my boobs are always at least a 34FF. As I get bigger they obviously balloon but they never reduce past the 34FF mark. My Dr said if I went under 140lbs in the aim to get the lowest end of the traditional BMI range I would actually be classed as nearing underweight!

I'm wondering if this is something everyone has to take into account? Or do most people lose their boobs when they lose weight? Not sure how to proceed. I'm reluctant to ignore my Doctors' advice as he is a professional after all.....but I still feel too fat.

Would it be more sensible to just try and increase activity level and focus on fitness rather than weight loss? I'm a little stuck at the moment as i'm full of stitches so I cannot go swimming and can do anything more strenuous than a little waddle across the room at snails pace lol

Any suggestions people?? :)

Replies

• arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I can't say I've ever really thought about that for women, but it sounds like a pretty awesome problem to have from a guy's perspective! :-P
  • Luvmesumkenny
    Luvmesumkenny Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Every Person loses weight differently. First place I lost was of course in my boobs and I'm naturally small chested. I don't think you have to worry about losing boob weight especially if at your lowest weight you still were a FF. If you are not happy with the weight your at then keep on losing. Whatever makes you Happy.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I had a breast reduction and didn't notice a difference on the scale, personally. I went from a DD to a small C. I thought I'd lose at least 5lbs lol.
  • sypop
    sypop Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    very intresting and something i have never thought about right now im a cup size N but like you my boobs dont get much smaller even after weight loss i think my smallest was a DDD....in high school lol.....intrested to see other responses....
  • DrunkenFaeGirl
    Options
    26 pounds lost and my chest hasn't gone down at all so I'd say that it's a valid consideration to make.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Actually when i lose weight my cup size goes up as my band size goes down which means my actual boobs themselves don't change much.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    It's a funny thought, isn't it? I actually stepped on the scale one day and had my boyfriend lift "the girls" away from me to try to guess how much they weighed. Um...close to 15-20 pounds total. Eek! Us big-chested girls do have to take that into account when measuring our body fat/BMI.

Does your Dr. have a tool to measure body fat/BMI? My PT measured mine the other day and it gave me a better idea as to where I truly was in my efforts.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    focus on fitness and not weight loss
    weight is just a number
    in your case the scale is not a good representation of what's going on
  • juliadijk
    juliadijk Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    At my heaviest, I had a cup H, I lost 25 kgs and went to an E. After that, I got a breast reduction and went to a small C cup. I only lost 350 grams on each side during reduction. My surgeon told me it was mostly fat tissue.
  • bootsiejayne
    bootsiejayne Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I asked my dr what weight I should be "shooting for". He told me that my "Ideal" weight for my build and height was 140, but "considering" and he gestured towards my girls, that 160 would be a better fit for me. He said, "Most women don't have this (gesturing) to consider, and the BMI chart certainly doesn't take it into consideration. If you can get to 160 you'll be exactly where you need to be." I knew big boobs shouldn't count against me.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should be working at lowering your body fat% instead so that the weight itself doesn't matter so much.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    The doctor had no reason to even mention your boobs. Sounds like a creep. Many doctors are, more than you would believe oh the stories I could tell you....

If you have to see him again - make sure there's a nurse in the room.
  • rachempoo
    rachempoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Too funny. I was having a conversation about this yesterday. I think it's totally justifiable that boobs make a difference in BMI. If you're someone with large or dense breasts it seems logical to assume that your BMI would be affected by them. I've always wondered what mine weigh...
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I'm a guy, and I could stand to lose a little boob weight.
  • Chriss89
    Chriss89 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses :)

Glad it isn't just my Dr giving this advice lol

I haven't actually had my body fat checked to be honest, just worked with the scales. Can you get body fat checkers to use at home that actually give accurate results?
  • sypop
    sypop Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It's a funny thought, isn't it? I actually stepped on the scale one day and had my boyfriend lift "the girls" away from me to try to guess how much they weighed. Um...close to 15-20 pounds total. Eek! Us big-chested girls do have to take that into account when measuring our body fat/BMI.

Does your Dr. have a tool to measure body fat/BMI? My PT measured mine the other day and it gave me a better idea as to where I truly was in my efforts.

LOL i had my husband do this for me too...mine where just over 20lbs :)
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I had a breast reduction and didn't notice a difference on the scale, personally. I went from a DD to a small C. I thought I'd lose at least 5lbs lol.
    I did that too going from GG to E losing 2 lbs on One side and 1 on the other as I was very lopsided. This showed at 3 lbs on the scale. I was told this was not fat but breast tissue however...
    Then I began my weight loss as I could be more active going down through DD to D and one band size. My total weight loss is 23 pounds since. So it may be if you lose more you will reduce the boob weight too.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I agree with Hildy, what an inappropriate comment.

As far as losing, if you would be happy, ignore him and proceed. I doubt they weigh that much that it really matters. And frankly, even if they are 10 lbs total, which they probably aren't, so what? I'm 5'2" and around 100lbs with a small frame, and I'm not underweight by my doctor. If you factor in 5lbs per inch and extra for the other, that's still around 120. So if you want to lose 5lbs, or even a little more, I cannot see where that makes you underweight.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Or do most people lose their boobs when they lose weight?

I would say so. Well.... if you see a skinny girl with very large boobs - I think the chances are they're silicone. If you look at the beyond skinny girls ie catwalk models - they have no boobs. Just nipples.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I am also concerned that an MD mentioned your boobs when you asked about weight loss. However, it would be totally appropriate if he'd mentioned frame and height. I once had a nurse practitioner make a comment about my boob size and I complained to the medical facility and told them to never give me an appointment with her again.

Listen to you own body, and get yourself a new doctor. This one sounds a bit quacky.