Ever been described as "stocky"? How about "chubby"?

Options
I'm 33, short (5'2") and very overweight (207). If you're in a similar boat and have a good sense of humor, you should friend me.

Oh, and please share your favorite stories of how others told you how fluffy you were. My favorite?

1. When my (thin) boss told me that a customer identified me by saying, "I talked to the chubby one."
2. An ex-boyfriend's grandmother actually called me chubby.
3. At a festival where a booth was handing out free tee shirts, the (skinny) girl apologized and said she didn't have any shirts that would fit me - the biggest they had left were mediums. I felt my face fry at that one...
4. I now block the flow of water in the bathtub. I know this technically isn't anyone telling me I'm fat (unless you anthropomorphize the tub), but it hurt, dammit.

Replies

• Bekah_Davis
    Bekah_Davis Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My 4 year old always asks me, when she sees me working out, "Mom, are you trying to lose your chub chubs"? And my nephews refer to me as the chubby Aunt! I'm 5'1 and started this journey at 238 and am now sitting at 183 slowly working my way down to 140! Friend me : )
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    lol i'm 5 1 and 163, used to be 217. I never got that said abt me, to where I heard anyway. But i used to work at torrid and I was being used as a point in reference to other chubby girlfriends that werent around. Their bfs would ask me for help bc i was abt their gfs size. :blushing: although according to one guy my rack was much nicer than his gfs. lol that needed to stop.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    1st time I remember ( I was very overweight ) in 3rd grade. One of the boys in my class said" your'e not fat, you are pleasing Plump"
    2nd one was my dear ex. You know I like having a good corn fed cow! ( I weighed 130 at the time) :drinker:
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    27, 5'0, started out at 205.

I've been called everything in the book, from just straight fat to "well developed" to any number of things. They all suck, but only as much as you let them.

Next time someone feels the need to be ... impolite... just remind yourself that you can fix your body but they can't fix their personality.
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I had a boyfriend once when I was a teenager, his parents invited me to stay for dinner one evening, apparently his mother thought I didn't eat enough at the meal....she said I looked like I had a "healthy appetite".....I honestly think the poor boy was more embarrassed than I was!
  • becky6m
    becky6m Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've been described as "fluffy" at one point in my life. :/
  • init2fitit
    init2fitit Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My mother called me her little butterball turkey.
    And the next day I had created an account for MFP.
    I had been putting it off before that moment.
  • jcmrax5
    jcmrax5 Posts: 133
    Options
    other then my ***** sister calling me fat because shes a low life and just wants something to try to cut me down with, i cant recall anyone else ever really calling me fat. but i know i am. ive just tried to embrace it and act like it doesnt bother me. im 5'9 and about 250. friend me! :)
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    PuKUdFY.jpg
  • Loasaur
    Loasaur Posts: 125
    Options
    I'm not short, (about 5'6" and 175lbs) but I have been called a great many things! My siblings as well as my father have called me "Thunder Thighs" on more than one occasion. In high school, there was this group of boys that would taunt me about my favourite black sweatshirt (I used to wear it all the time) and would say that maybe if I went jogging in my sweatshirt, I would sweat a lot of my fat out...I've had friends that I hadn't seen in years ask me if I was pregnant...Terrible!
  • Janice2Shakira
    Options
    Lolz. Chubby, stocky, fluffy, all-woman, thick-thick, I've heard a lot of those.

Got told once I should dress as one of the M&Ms for Halloween.
  • Crweb29
    Crweb29 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yeah, stocky, chubby, fat, chunky, tubby, husky and also called a "teddy bear" by my college GF's mother, kinda like that one though. :happy:

49709468.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • norrishbex
    norrishbex Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    5'3' and my heaviest was 80kgs. I got stocky, solid, well built, cuddly, the list goes on. My favorite though, is that I am "built for comfort, not for speed" which is kinda true, as much as I enjoy running I can't run out of sight in a week. :tongue:
  • uvonne610
    uvonne610 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You know how people say "well she has a pretty face"
    My manager told another coworker of mine "she's pretty but she would be prettier if she lost 20 pounds"
    WTF kind of comment is that! He to some is a good looking guy and for some reason feels he can make those comments, Well I got him sent to sexual harassment classes!
  • cope3am
    cope3am Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ive heard it all since ive been big my entire life. Very rarely in a way to be mean though. Im way too laid back of a person to care anyway and most of the time i find it funny.
  • Triciad811
    Triciad811 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" and at my heaviest was 200. I have worked my way down to 178 and am still working. I have heard it all and in all contexts. Some thinking they are helping by being brutally and painfully honest and others by just being mean. I figured out a long time ago that I can only control what I do and what I say and how I feel. Now I can look back and laugh as well as look forward and laugh. Life is too short and precious to let someone else's ignorance weigh me down.

I think the one that makes me laugh the most now is when I was talking with a friend (in my early days of wanting to lose weight and get healthy) about getting in shape and she told me I was in shape...round is a shape.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    When I first started to put on a bit of weight in my 20s, my mum looked at me one day and said "Yes, you are getting a bit broad in the beam".

ETA better than the time a bloke asked me at work if I was pregnant :angry:
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm not short, but I was called festively plump (it made me laugh) and burleque (by a customer I was serving....it made me embarressed and I think she was coming onto me lol).
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I have always hated being overweight, and have been unhappy with my body shape for a long time.

However all my friends make jokes about my weight, as do I. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I would hate to be the person that everyone is careful with, I can't bear people like that.

If a total stranger makes a comment, it depends how it's intended as to how I react. If it's a joke, and it's funny, then I laugh.

If someone is being condescending or plainly rude, then I tend to just ignore them.

I really do feel like life is too short to be bothered by stupid stuff like this. There are so many threads started on these forums where people are outraged by comments people have made, and I've never understood it, I have way more serious stuff to worry about.
  • cavery23
    cavery23 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I put a picture on facebook and a weird aunt comented 'you've gone from chunk to hunk'

Didn't know whether to laugh or cry....