Ever been described as "stocky"? How about "chubby"?

Options

Replies

• thegabbleduck
    thegabbleduck Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think the worst one I ever had was a woman who came up to me in the street and said
    "you dress really well for someone as fat as you are"

she genuinely thought it was a compliment...
  • sola24
    sola24 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    At 5ft and at 130-135lbs I have always been called chubby by everyone i know.. its like.. awww.. you are chubby and cute.. dont lose weight.. you look better this way..
  • a_crotty
    a_crotty Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    5'1 and 173 now...I've been obese now for 19 years and most call me STOCKY....cannot stand it! Or Brick *kitten* House....really folks, really?
  • sola24
    sola24 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah.. one more incident.. after I started dating my current bf.. he slipped up one day and confessed when he first started getting attracted to me and was thinking about asking me out.. his 'friends' thought why the hell is he mad about me as I am fat and he was lean and muscular as he used to do karate and weight training in his college days..

I felt sooo bad... after knowing how those apparent friends thought about me behind my back
  • NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    A male friend of mine said(not trying to be mean just had a bad way with words) said "you have a pretty face..if you could keep your face and have her(some hot chick) body you'd be a 10"

My brothers and parents used to call me ms. piggy, and said the same thing...lose weight and you'd get more options with men

All this just made me hate my family since i was a size 14 at that time. I got bigger, fluffier and then a guy I had talked to online wanted to meet. I told him the picture may not capture how big I was...he was a slender 6'1 or 6'2"...he said "no you're ripe" LOL
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I used to get called "Fatty Patty" in school however that was many years ago. After I graduated it was mainly 'big' or 'solid' or 'built like a brick shi*house" or usually "you don't want to *uck with her". Seems my natural resting facial expression leads most people to believe that insulting me would be a very bad idea (they'd be right too)

The only person who has ever called me 'fat' was my 5yr old step-son and he's a kid so it's allowed. I think it was shortly after that when I started MFP.
  • buckystars
    buckystars Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    At my father's funeral, a cousin that we don't see often came up to my sister to give us condolences. She reminded him of her name and he replied, "Oh, yeah, you're the thin sister."

My niece (who was 6 at the time) also once asked why I was so chubby. Offhand comments like those really burn. :(
  • ViktoryaC
    ViktoryaC Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    This is all still kinda new to me, as I was always thin until about a year and a half ago, but as I've gained, I've been called chubby, pudgy, and plump. And since most of the new pounds are on my waist, pregnancy questions abound. There are some people at work who say I look better with "some meat on me" and that I'm now "curvy". 56 pounds later, these aren't curves, they're mountains! :laugh:
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    Never called fat....always called "thick" I think it's the same thing.
  • SpiritedAway84
    Options
    Ha! I am having flashbacks of Despicable me.

I am 5'5 and at one point in high school weighed about 185.....I was once described as "voluptuous" by a guy my friend was dating. I don't think he meant it in a Merriam Webster kinda way. He just didn't want to call me fat, lol!
  • vaultgirlsam
    vaultgirlsam Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use to poke fun at myself when people discussed my weight.

"I'm a little teapot. Short, and stout!"
  • stryla
    stryla Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Im 5'2 and 202 lbs. I got asked if i was preggers because I was looking "puffy".
  • dubble13
    dubble13 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I put a picture on facebook and a weird aunt comented 'you've gone from chunk to hunk'

Didn't know whether to laugh or cry....

Haha
  • dubble13
    dubble13 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My grandma is fond of commenting on my "thunder thighs"
  • ambermpage
    ambermpage Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    In college I had to wear a vest at the store I was working at. I hated it and would only button the top two buttons so I could have some movement. One of the older woman who I was ringing out asked me when my baby was due! I looked at her with a look of shock and said "I'm not pregnant." I have never seen a woman of her age turn that shade of red before! You would think that as a woman she would know better than to EVER ask another woman that question!
  • holliesangel
    holliesangel Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    When we gave my great grandmother her copies of my senior pictures, she said that I'd be very pretty if I wasn't carrying so much weight. I was 5'1" and only like 135ish at the time. Then again that women has only said one nice thing to me in my life.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    My grandma used to tell me I'd be a pretty girl with all the boys after me if I was less chubby. She called me chubby constantly.

Or the girls in school, who were not the slimmest girls, would call me fat... gotta love those times.
  • jxxnx
    Options
    I've not been told that straight to my face, but someone at work recommended to me that I shouldn't wear my hair short (jaw-length) because of my size, another one greeted me by saying, "Hey, I could teach you to choose healthier foods for you to lose weight"...
  • SkinnyWannabeGal
    SkinnyWannabeGal Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and when I met my ex's grandpa for the first time, I was about 115 lbs. He took one glance at me and exclaimed, "Oh my gosh, you're HUUUGE!" I didn't feel huge at the time, so that really stung.

My ex also used to call me a "fat tub of lard." But I can laugh at it now because he was classified as obese and I never was. How ironic.

This guy who used to like me once told me, "you're chubby, but it's ok. I can deal with it because it's cute on you." I did not like him after that comment.

And when I was 9 months pregnant, an old woman walked up to me, slapped me on the arm and scolded me for having a disgusting beer belly at such a young age. She went on and on about how if I'm going to drink beer, I should have the decency to exercise it off. And I was never a drinker. Lol she was so rude, but it made me giggle because she seemed to be deeply troubled and hurt by my pregnant belly. My friend gasped and told her I'm 9 months pregnant. She turned red and walked off quickly. That was funny.

During this same pregnancy, a man asked me, "are u chubby or just plain fat??" I said, "both. And I'm also pregnant." He responded with, "doesn't matter, you look disgusting either way." And he high fived his buddy next to him and they both laughed at me.

I tell you, there are quite a few people out there who have no problem telling others what they think of their weight!
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Skinnywannabe: how horrible are people :(. Its hard enough waddling around when your 9 months pregnant, trying not to pee on yourself every time you bend over, but to be attacked for your appearance? So shameful.