Really do not want to track

Options

Replies

• blackNBUK
    blackNBUK Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I hate tracking because there is too many inacurate entries in the database they need to fix this problem. I don't log but I use the database as a nutrition guide if I'm not sure if something is good for me or not. It seems to work for me
    Actually, YOU need to fix it. When you see that the info is wrong, click the appropriate button indicating that the info is correct/wrong/you don't know. If it's incorrect, it prompts YOU to correct it. Use the food label to correct the label. Problem solved. Orrr, you can create a new/correct food entry.

Unfortunately correcting an entry doesn't seem to be an option in the phone and tablet apps. At least I haven't been able to spot it yet. It would be great if MFP could add it to the apps because I don't think I've ever used the web-site to log any food.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    But I'm simply not willing to be that obsessive about food for the rest of my life.

I track, I'm not obsessed. I know that happens to some but not all. I eat what I want I work hard I lose weight. It's about moderation not deprivation. There are no bad foods just bad eating habits.

what is more obsessive, eating so much food that you become obese, or tracking calories so that you maintain a fit and healthy lifestyle????
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I hate tracking because there is too many inacurate entries in the database they need to fix this problem. I don't log but I use the database as a nutrition guide if I'm not sure if something is good for me or not. It seems to work for me
    Actually, YOU need to fix it. When you see that the info is wrong, click the appropriate button indicating that the info is correct/wrong/you don't know. If it's incorrect, it prompts YOU to correct it. Use the food label to correct the label. Problem solved. Orrr, you can create a new/correct food entry.

Unfortunately correcting an entry doesn't seem to be an option in the phone and tablet apps. At least I haven't been able to spot it yet. It would be great if MFP could add it to the apps because I don't think I've ever used the web-site to log any food.

I can, you may need an update.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Your choices are to be aware and responsible about what you eat and work towards your goal weight.

Or.

Just stay fat.

I realize this is blunt, but that is what it comes down to. It is very difficult to eyeball and estimate your calories, which is why tracking accurately is so important. You have to decide if the moderate inconvenience of weighing, tracking, and being honest is worth being healthy or if you would rather continue as you have.

I hope that you make the right choice.
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Tracking may seem like a pain, but it helps.
    Being honest is essential, whether just to yourself (private diary) or to all of us (nice if you need advice about where you're going wrong)

What's worse: Sucking it up and journalling that you fell off the wagon, feeling that bit o shame, but remembering it next time, because it's right there for you to see? OR, not bothering, and continuing with your bad habits that brought you here in the first place?

The beauty of this website, in my opinion, is the acountability that comes with taking careful note of what you put in your face, via the tracking. It's one thing to eat a cookie and then forget it happened, it's another thing entirely to eat a cookie, and then LOG it, and see how far it's thrown you off for the day.

Do you want to make a lifestyle change, or no?
  • catelinn
    Options
    We all have to do things we don't want, lol, just do it buster !!!!!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    But I'm simply not willing to be that obsessive about food for the rest of my life.

I don't see it as the rest of my life. Once I lost most the weight and had been tracking "obsessively" for a while, I got use to how to eat, how to portion, etc. I have days I don't log/track and just eat how I now know I should and it's all good.... Now, after tracking for long enough to relearn how to eat and get exercise.

My goal is to be able to track less and less and still maintain.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I don't wanna track either so I'm posting I don't want to track calories on a calorie tracking website. u mad?
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are just not ready to do this yet. You've got get your head in the right place before you take on this effort. It takes hard work and determination, and logging food is actually one of the easier parts. But it is critical to success. I don't like logging in either, but I would still be fat if I didn't.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Too bad. Do it. And you don't have to make your diary public.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    You can set it so you're the only one who can see your food diary. It would be a little weird if you were the only one looking at it and you were still embarassed - since you're the one eating the stuff! But I kinda know what you mean; you can read a list and see all the "bad" things you've been eating and feel some "shame" about making those not-so-great choices...

It DOES help; just get over that embarassment hurdle - it's all for your betterment! You may be eating things that are really high in sugar or fat or whatever and not even realize it. Journaling is just a way to really put it right in front of you face, literally in black and white.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Watch some episodes of the British TV program "Secret Eaters" on youtube.
  • dridings74
    dridings74 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Tracking everything I put in my mouth is a pain BUT it makes me thinks twice about shoving those cookies or chocolate cake in my mouth. The choice is yours but like everyone else I recommend you do it.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    well the laziness I can't help you with but as far as not wanting to track out of embarrassment that's easy. Keep your diary private and only you can see it. It will help you identify what your food issues/problems/challenges are and keep everyone else out. This is for you not for anyone else so do what works for you and don't worry about the others. We all do this our own way and if you log, and eventually feel you want help with food choices etc., you can open your diary
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Knowledge is power... If you are embarrassed by what you are eating keep your diary private.
    But be scrupulous about tracking everything.
    For me it turned out once I saw what I was eating it made it easier to scale back in places that weren't that important to me. Made it much easier than I expected. And I wasn't living in a state of constant deprivation.

I think of it sort of like getting from place to place on a map. If I'm in Dallas and want to go to California. It's 1,400 miles west, but If I think I'm in New York and go west for 1,400 miles I'll end up somewhere in Nebraska.

Track for a couple of weeks. Before you take any steps, because then you'll see where you are really at.
    People made chide you for keeping your diary private. But I personally, found it helpful... Lots of folks out there with lots of different eating strategies. I didn't really want them all chiming in on my diet. Too may opinions for me to process. No carb, No fat, No sodium, Paleo, Atkins...
  • thedarkwombat
    thedarkwombat Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Its easy for me know. It took a week to get used to it. Now I panic if I don't.
    I tell everyone that I track.

If you are too embarrassed to track in front of people then you are still in denial.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    For me it turned out once I saw what I was eating it made it easier to scale back in places that weren't that important to me. Made it much easier than I expected. And I wasn't living in a state of constant deprivation.

Me too! I'm amazed how it's been so much less difficult than I imagined to reduce my calories - not to say it's *easy* but as people keep saying, knowledge is power!
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    There is nothing embarrassing about tracking your food. Even when you aren't trying to lose weight, it is always awesome to have a better understanding of the food we eat.
  • dubble13
    dubble13 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Um, it might encourage you to eat properly if you're aware your food choices are embarrassing.
    I don't get the whining on here. I understand lots of people need support and some encouragement, but declaring you just don't want to do something seems pointless. Are we supposed to convince you otherwise?
    If you can't do something as simplistic as jot down your calories, I think you're not ready or willing to lose the weight.

Yeeeep
  • jmp1958
    jmp1958 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    We need to be held accountable for what we eat - tracking is the only way!
This discussion has been closed.