Squat Rack Bar Padding

Options
What are people's thoughts on the Bar Pads for squating? I get serious bruising when not using a pad, but I've also heard that a pad hurts form. Anyone have any suggestions for me? Squat is a critical exercise in my routine but I cannot continue to squat without padding as the brusing on my neck is getting a deep purple from the pressure on my upper spine.

Pad, or no Pad?

Replies

• Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Hmm, sounds like you may not be getting it set right on your back. I would say avoid the pad and work on the placement so you don't end up hurting yourself.

It's a bit of a concern if you are bruised on your neck, like you say. Is it really that high?

What I usually do is squeeze my traps back (part of the form is getting your shoulders back and chest out) so they stick out a little bit, providing some cushion for the bar. And I will usually have contact with the bar most of the way across my shoulders so it is distributed a little better.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Hmm, sounds like you may not be getting it set right on your back. I would say avoid the pad and work on the placement so you don't end up hurting yourself.

It's a bit of a concern if you are bruised on your neck, like you say. Is it really that high?

What I usually do is squeeze my traps back (part of the form is getting your shoulders back and chest out) so they stick out a little bit, providing some cushion for the bar. And I will usually have contact with the bar most of the way across my shoulders so it is distributed a little better.
    This is exactly what I was thinking.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options

My thoughts too
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options

Its hard to explain without actually showing you where it sits on my back...but its kind of like the base of the neck...right where the highest vertebrae is that protroudes out the most. The bar pushes against that vertebrae and causes the bruising. If I was to squeeze my traps back and tried to set the bar there, I dont think I'd be able to keep the bar stable for the full 6-8 reps. Perhaps my traps aren't big enough but I doubt that is the case as I think I've got stronger/bigger back muscles than alot of people I see squat my size.

The only other explanation is that I'm using too much weight for my squats and perhaps if I lowered the amout of weight, I could maintain the bar on my traps. However if I lowered the weight, I would be able to do many more reps and not challenge myself as much as I would like to.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

Its hard to explain without actually showing you where it sits on my back...but its kind of like the base of the neck...right where the highest vertebrae is that protroudes out the most. The bar pushes against that vertebrae and causes the bruising. If I was to squeeze my traps back and tried to set the bar there, I dont think I'd be able to keep the bar stable for the full 6-8 reps. Perhaps my traps aren't big enough but I doubt that is the case as I think I've got stronger/bigger back muscles than alot of people I see squat my size.

The only other explanation is that I'm using too much weight for my squats and perhaps if I lowered the amout of weight, I could maintain the bar on my traps. However if I lowered the weight, I would be able to do many more reps and not challenge myself as much as I would like to.
    Try it lower on your back with lower weight to see how you do at first. I think you will probably surprise yourself. That sounds too high in my humble opinion.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It under no circumstances should be sitting on that vertebra.

you're doing it wrong if it is.

Using the sissy pad isn't recommended. Although I worked with a woman who complained constantly about the bar- even though from all intents/apperances- the bar appeared to be in the right spot.

It should be below that vertebra.

Google high bar and low bar- and then figure out what works for you- super low bar didn't work for me... it has to sit a little higher- but it isnt' truly "HIGH" bar. So- find what works for you- but I definitely wouldn't use the pad.

For one- you can't feel the bar.

For two- it's just weak. Part of lifting is the hardness that is born from callouses and heavy weights. Deal with it. They aren't barbie weights- learn how to do it and toughen up.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    I have to use the padding. The bar is in the right spot but it still hurts. I've never had any issue with the padding and feeling as though I was unstable or the bar was going to topple over on me because I couldn't "feel" it.

ETA: But I guess that just means I'm a sissy. I also wear lifting gloves because I don't like callouses on my hands
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I concur with the above comments. Basically, don't put the bar on your neck. Repeat. Don't put the bar on your neck. Putting a pad between your neck and the bar isn't the answer. It should be lower. If you have trouble with it there, try one or more of the following: shrug inward to flex your posterior deltoids & back muscles, pull inward on the bar to assist with the shrug. If you find the bar wanting to roll downwards, don't worry, do one or more of the following: squeeze the bar with your hands to keep the bar from rolling, wear a t-shirt instead of a tank top, put chalk where the bar should be resting to help keep it from sliding.
  • freebirdfitness
    Options
    The bar should not hurt you. But I am 100% sure you should not make accommodations to keep the bar in an improper spot. It should never sit there and don't make adjustments to keep it there. Put the bar lower and you will not need a pad.

How much are you lifting?

But please move the bar, you don't want to wreck your back.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I have all kinds of problems with my neck and upper back and have already had to do rehab twice this summer because of spasms that didn't go away and despite my daily rehab exercises/stretches.

So I don't squat. :noway: I know, it's crazy, but there it is. :ohwell: I can still pick up a 150 lb. Atlas stone and just hit 205 for my deadlift PR. I've been doing more Bulgarian split squats holding a kettlebell, with one foot on a box and the other on a bench, and it's been PLENTY challenging for my legs right now.

I'd recommend working with a squatting coach (which is why I'm not squatting right now and am doing other stuff; my trainer's job is to know when I'm ready to try squatting again). He or she can help you get the right positioning and "shelf" created for the bar. Or just give you other exercises to do in place of squats. It's kinda stupid to do an exercise that causes you an actual injury just because "everyone else" says you have to do it.
  • Tilran
    Options

For two- it's just weak. Part of lifting is the hardness that is born from callouses and heavy weights. Deal with it. They aren't barbie weights- learn how to do it and toughen up.

I honestly dont care if its considered weak...and I care less about building up callouses. That simply dumb to say that to be strong you need callouses.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I have all kinds of problems with my neck and upper back and have already had to do rehab twice this summer because of spasms that didn't go away and despite my daily rehab exercises/stretches.

So I don't squat. :noway: I know, it's crazy, but there it is. :ohwell: I can still pick up a 150 lb. Atlas stone and just hit 205 for my deadlift PR. I've been doing more Bulgarian split squats holding a kettlebell, with one foot on a box and the other on a bench, and it's been PLENTY challenging for my legs right now.

I'd recommend working with a squatting coach (which is why I'm not squatting right now and am doing other stuff; my trainer's job is to know when I'm ready to try squatting again). He or she can help you get the right positioning and "shelf" created for the bar. Or just give you other exercises to do in place of squats. It's kinda stupid to do an exercise that causes you an actual injury just because "everyone else" says you have to do it

While all the other answers are correct, this one is the BEST one....
  • Tilran
    Options
    I'd recommend working with a squatting coach (which is why I'm not squatting right now and am doing other stuff; my trainer's job is to know when I'm ready to try squatting again). He or she can help you get the right positioning and "shelf" created for the bar. Or just give you other exercises to do in place of squats. It's kinda stupid to do an exercise that causes you an actual injury just because "everyone else" says you have to do it.

I may ask a trainer to show me tips on helping me get better form to avoid pain on the neck. I'll see what happens from there.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Its hard to explain without actually showing you where it sits on my back...but its kind of like the base of the neck...right where the highest vertebrae is that protroudes out the most. The bar pushes against that vertebrae and causes the bruising.

That bar is sitting too high, even for a high bar squat...lower it down a little...it shouldn't be resting right on top of your shoulders and neck..it should be down a bit even for a high bar squat and down a bit more if you want to do low bar squats.
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what callouses have to do with strength, unless you mean strengthening your epidermis? Not a big concern for me. I use the pad. When I don't, I get a bar shaped bruise across my back no matter where I place it. It doesn't have anything to do with it sitting on my vertebrae or not being strong, I just bruise easily.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    It's already all been said, but just to pile on: don't use the pad, the bar shouldn't be on that knob of bone it should be on the "shelf" of your traps/rear delts (this is the "high bar" position that JoRocka mentioned)
    To create the shelf try these things to get a feel for the position:
    1. thumb-over-bar grip to keep your wrists neutral
    2. hands closer to head (forearms perpendicular to ground)
    3. elbows tucked in a bit and pointed behind you a bit

do 1-3 with an empty bar and you should be able to feel where your shelf is

here I made this pic real quick.......
    aKISymh.jpg
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    It's already all been said, but just to pile on: don't use the pad, the bar shouldn't be on that knob of bone it should be on the "shelf" of your traps/rear delts (this is the "high bar" position that JoRocka mentioned)
    To create the shelf try these things to get a feel for the position:
    1. thumb-over-bar grip to keep your wrists neutral
    2. hands closer to head (forearms perpendicular to ground)
    3. elbows tucked in a bit and pointed behind you a bit

do 1-3 with an empty bar and you should be able to feel where your shelf is

here I made this pic real quick.......
    aKISymh.jpg

And that is still uncomfortable for me which is why I (and I'm sure some others) use the pad.

I don't consider myself to be "weak" or "wussy" since right now I can squat 270#'s (which sure, it's not a lot to some but it is to me) but it's still uncomfortable. If something is uncomfortable and hurts -- and it's not the exercise that's hurting -- then I'm not going to do it.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what callouses have to do with strength, unless you mean strengthening your epidermis? Not a big concern for me. I use the pad. When I don't, I get a bar shaped bruise across my back no matter where I place it. It doesn't have anything to do with it sitting on my vertebrae or not being strong, I just bruise easily.
    True story.
    <--- Some of us just bruise easily.
    Some of us don't let that stop us.
    Bruises =/= pain or injury.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yeah you're totally putting it in the wrong place. If it does happen to be a bruising thing though once you do start setting the bar properly, then you might consider using the kind of pad I linked below:

http://www.amazon.com/Advance-Fitness-Inc-4662-Manta/dp/B0017DGBY8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1379606172&sr=8-2&keywords=manta+barbell+pad

They have them at my gym, and while I don't have a need for them, they are pretty comfortable and fit much better than the foam. I didn't realize they were so expensive, but I can tell you from experiance it's a good piece of equipment and it'll keep you squating. Consider buying it, throw it in your gym bag, and I don't see how this kind of pad could hurt your form at all.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,228 Member
    Options
    Before going to a pad, I will concur with most of the posters here, based on your description, you have the bar too high. I know if feels weird at first having it in the correct spot, but it makes a big difference.