Squat Rack Bar Padding

Options

Replies

• Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    Im pale and bony and cant avoid the bruises but i still don't use a pad. It throws off my form and makes the squats feel out of control. I would rather look like an abuse victim then have bad form... If the bruises get bad enough i switch to front squats for a while...
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Im pale and bony and cant avoid the bruises but i still don't use a pad. It throws off my form and makes the squats feel out of control. I would rather look like an abuse victim then have bad form... If the bruises get bad enough i switch to front squats for a while...
    There's your answer right there, OP.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    It under no circumstances should be sitting on that vertebra.

you're doing it wrong if it is.

Using the sissy pad isn't recommended. Although I worked with a woman who complained constantly about the bar- even though from all intents/apperances- the bar appeared to be in the right spot.

It should be below that vertebra.

Google high bar and low bar- and then figure out what works for you- super low bar didn't work for me... it has to sit a little higher- but it isnt' truly "HIGH" bar. So- find what works for you- but I definitely wouldn't use the pad.

For one- you can't feel the bar.

For two- it's just weak. Part of lifting is the hardness that is born from callouses and heavy weights. Deal with it. They aren't barbie weights- learn how to do it and toughen up.

Listen I hear you 100%, but this girl is talking about physical bruising/discoloration, not discomfort or that the weight is too heavy... I've read your posts and I know you're all about toughness, which I like, but being a bonehead diminishes that.

You're a strong woman, and a tough one at that. Careful you're not pressuring other women on this site to endure getting hurt, just so they don't *appear* weak. Men make that mistake all the time, and I say the same to them.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Listen I hear you 100%, but this girl is talking about physical bruising/discoloration, not discomfort or that the weight is too heavy... I've read your posts and I know you're all about toughness, which I like, but being a bonehead diminishes that.

You're a strong woman, and a tough one at that. Careful you're not pressuring other women on this site to endure getting hurt, just so they don't *appear* weak. Men make that mistake all the time, and I say the same to them.
    So? Bruising is not an injury, it doesn't hurt, it's just a bruise. If I let bruising stop me from lifting Atlas stones, I'd never be successful at lifting the stones when I go to Iceland. I find icing after lifting helps somewhat, but if you know you bruise easily, what's the BFD about a little bruising?
  • FrnkLft
    Options

So? Bruising is not an injury, it doesn't hurt, it's just a bruise. If I let bruising stop me from lifting Atlas stones, I'd never be successful at lifting the stones when I go to Iceland. I find icing after lifting helps somewhat, but if you know you bruise easily, what's the BFD about a little bruising?

Holy crap, go buy a cookie. Who cares? It bothers her.

There are women who shave their heads and don't care, why don't you just shave your ****ing head then?

I think it's great that squats, and heavy squats, are a fundamental part of her program. She's taking this seriously and just needs to learn about form and bar placement. I don't think she needs to be told to buck up, you're just trying to impose your own stupid **** on her.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    It's already all been said, but just to pile on: don't use the pad, the bar shouldn't be on that knob of bone it should be on the "shelf" of your traps/rear delts (this is the "high bar" position that JoRocka mentioned)
    To create the shelf try these things to get a feel for the position:
    1. thumb-over-bar grip to keep your wrists neutral
    2. hands closer to head (forearms perpendicular to ground)
    3. elbows tucked in a bit and pointed behind you a bit

do 1-3 with an empty bar and you should be able to feel where your shelf is

here I made this pic real quick.......
    aKISymh.jpg

Thanks, I need to see that :wink:
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    What are people's thoughts on the Bar Pads for squating? I get serious bruising when not using a pad, but I've also heard that a pad hurts form. Anyone have any suggestions for me? Squat is a critical exercise in my routine but I cannot continue to squat without padding as the brusing on my neck is getting a deep purple from the pressure on my upper spine.

Pad, or no Pad?

Definitely no pad. Try maybe a thin hand or face towel (draped over, not wrapped around the bar) and see if that helps. The pads to throw-off form.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    do not ever use pads. it changes the center of gravity and the lift itself. impossible to have great form with pads. it might not cause any problems but it will never be ideal.

suck it up for a few weeks and the pain subsides. bruising also usually goes away after a month of proper squatting. if not, use a towel.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    It under no circumstances should be sitting on that vertebra.

you're doing it wrong if it is.

Using the sissy pad isn't recommended. Although I worked with a woman who complained constantly about the bar- even though from all intents/apperances- the bar appeared to be in the right spot.

It should be below that vertebra.

Google high bar and low bar- and then figure out what works for you- super low bar didn't work for me... it has to sit a little higher- but it isnt' truly "HIGH" bar. So- find what works for you- but I definitely wouldn't use the pad.

For one- you can't feel the bar.

For two- it's just weak. Part of lifting is the hardness that is born from callouses and heavy weights. Deal with it. They aren't barbie weights- learn how to do it and toughen up.

I was thinking this...sounds dangerous to have weighted bar on your vertebra...

I never squat with pad and I do not have any pain/bruising...
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Pads are for *******
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

Holy crap, go buy a cookie. Who cares? It bothers her.

There are women who shave their heads and don't care, why don't you just shave your ****ing head then?

I think it's great that squats, and heavy squats, are a fundamental part of her program. She's taking this seriously and just needs to learn about form and bar placement. I don't think she needs to be told to buck up, you're just trying to impose your own stupid **** on her.
    I would just like to point out that OP is a guy. Not that it makes a difference. I think just try the lower placement with lower weight and see how it goes.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I'm not saying OP needs to hurt him/herself- or anyone for that matter. I bruise all the time- and I hurt things- but I"m not injured. I feel like there is a big difference between being truly injured- or doing something that will injury yourself- verses just dealing with mild discomfort that comes from lifting weights. And in this case I think the bar placement needs to be evaluated.

I would never recommend someone pushing a form issue that was going to hurt themselves. Injury = bad. hurting does not always = bad.

We've all seen thousands of people who lift- HEAVY weights (just google image powerlifting- all those pictures- no pads- no fluff- no gloves)

Dead lift or pull ups or row or any heavy lift- my hands are shredded - my callouses are pinched- they rip- they just plain hurt- But you don't lift heavy weights without some sort of wear and tear- and it's not injury wear and tear- it's just the kind of stuff that comes from lifting heavy weights.

Flame away- but I guess it has more to do with mental toughness and just dealing with it rather than coming up with ways to make it "easier" or less uncomfortable. Lifting weights- and working out- it's not about being fluffy- it's not about being soft. To me it's about pushing yourself- breaking through a new level- and that doesn't come from the land of back pads and little fingerless batting gloves.

can you work out with all the "creature comforts"? gloves and pads and things- yes sure... but it tells me something about what kind of lifter you are.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    Options
    You don't need callouses to lift heavy. I lift some respectable weight for my class, and I have only minimal callouses. Besides, you wouldn't get them from squats anyway. Your grip can be loose and relaxed.

As far as form, when you pull your shoulders back, you might be able to see the pocket between your rear delt and upper traps to rest it for a high bar squat. This position is generally an inch or so lower than where you are resting the bar. It will place more pressure on the area right above your rear delts and take it off your neck. You don't want pressure on your neck while doing squats.

Using the pad for squats is personal preference. Personally, it interferes with my form and I find it uncomfortable. It slips around and it changes the placement of the bar with respect to hand grip, where your elbows are, and so on.

Try the new bar placement just above your rear delts before you try the pad.
  • FrnkLft
    Options

I'm not saying OP needs to hurt him/herself- or anyone for that matter. I bruise all the time- and I hurt things- but I"m not injured. I feel like there is a big difference between being truly injured- or doing something that will injury yourself- verses just dealing with mild discomfort that comes from lifting weights. And in this case I think the bar placement needs to be evaluated.

I would never recommend someone pushing a form issue that was going to hurt themselves. Injury = bad. hurting does not always = bad.

We've all seen thousands of people who lift- HEAVY weights (just google image powerlifting- all those pictures- no pads- no fluff- no gloves)

Dead lift or pull ups or row or any heavy lift- my hands are shredded - my callouses are pinched- they rip- they just plain hurt- But you don't lift heavy weights without some sort of wear and tear- and it's not injury wear and tear- it's just the kind of stuff that comes from lifting heavy weights.

Flame away- but I guess it has more to do with mental toughness and just dealing with it rather than coming up with ways to make it "easier" or less uncomfortable. Lifting weights- and working out- it's not about being fluffy- it's not about being soft. To me it's about pushing yourself- breaking through a new level- and that doesn't come from the land of back pads and little fingerless batting gloves.

can you work out with all the "creature comforts"? gloves and pads and things- yes sure... but it tells me something about what kind of lifter you are.

Well I agree with you about lifting, but you're putting too much importance on making the process tough for it's own sake. I've been lifting for about 11 months now, and I'm using 5/3/1 as the basis for my entire routine. My goal is to get stronger and grow both physically and mentally through the process.

Rofl calluses... I love calluses, but when they started getting pinched under the bar and affecting my lifts, I bought gloves. Because my goal isn't to prove anything by how much pain I can take, it's to maintain my focus, take care of my body, and power through to the next level. I also bought straps so that my AMRAP lifts wouldn't suffer from a given day's weak grip, and to protect my bicep on heavy deads (bicep injuries due to switch grips are the most common injury from doing this) and I'm actually seeing a doctor this afternoon about my elbow.

I'm no less serious a lifter just because I choose to protect my hands (although like I said, I love calluses) and joints, and continue lifting properly as a result. I'm in the gym lifting heavier weight, 4 days a week hitting everything twice, with better form than half of the guys there who are twice my size. If you called me a ***** for wearing gloves, I'd call you an idiot for not knowing any better.
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options
    I'm sure all the responses have said this but I'll just reiterate.

If you're bruising yourself then you're putting the bar in the wrong place. Put it across your traps, below that big bone right at the base on your neck. It should NOT be resting on the TOPS of the shoulders or on that bone at the base of your neck.
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options
    do not ever use pads. it changes the center of gravity and the lift itself. impossible to have great form with pads. it might not cause any problems but it will never be ideal.

suck it up for a few weeks and the pain subsides. bruising also usually goes away after a month of proper squatting. if not, use a towel.

worst post I've seen this week. Head, meet desk.....
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    I would just like to point out that OP is a guy. Not that it makes a difference. I think just try the lower placement with lower weight and see how it goes.

HAHA! Damn, that's funny. Um, sorry brah lol? The odds were 1:5 against your favor in that photo.

Fix your form.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Well I agree with you about lifting, but you're putting too much importance on making the process tough for it's own sake. I've been lifting for about 11 months now, and I'm using 5/3/1 as the basis for my entire routine. My goal is to get stronger and grow both physically and mentally through the process.

Rofl calluses... I love calluses, but when they started getting pinched under the bar and affecting my lifts, I bought gloves. Because my goal isn't to prove anything by how much pain I can take, it's to maintain my focus, take care of my body, and power through to the next level. I also bought straps so that my AMRAP lifts wouldn't suffer from a given day's weak grip, and to protect my bicep on heavy deads (bicep injuries due to switch grips are the most common injury from doing this) and I'm actually seeing a doctor this afternoon about my elbow.

I'm no less serious a lifter just because I choose to protect my hands (although like I said, I love calluses) and joints, and continue lifting properly as a result. I'm in the gym lifting heavier weight, 4 days a week hitting everything twice, with better form than half of the guys there who are twice my size. If you called me a ***** for wearing gloves, I'd call you an idiot for not knowing any better.

shrug

I didn't emphasis either one- I said one. then two. Everyone else blew it up. they need to go eat a snickers bar. :D

If there was any emphasis in either direction to my two initial points it would actually be on bar placement- (one typically being more important than two in the systematic way of thinking). I also didn't call any body anything requiring astriks for wearing gloves- I just said it told me what kind of lifter you are.

I've been lifting for years- pinched callous haven't stopped me from lifting at all- I wouldn't say they truly affect my lifting- I do what I can- and I guess it really bothers me when people just give up because something hurts- let it hurt- it's okay- push through. Just because my hands are a little uncomfortable doesn't mean your'e done. gloves and the pad don't protect your joints... and hand wraps for lifting are not at all in the same category as gloves and a sissy bar.

Good for you for seeing the doctor- elbow injuries are the worst- I have two and they will never go away. makes me a sad panda. :(

But we agree- bar placement. go forth and fix. :D
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Sometimes picture are more helpful and I stole these ones from the internet. :happy:

High bar.
    HighBar.jpg

Sounds like this is the one you are using. With this bar position your spine almost needs to be vertical to allow the weight of the bar to pushing down through the top of your trap and not into your neck.

Middle
    MidBar.jpg

This is what most people use. It is most comfortable because it spreads the contact with the bar out over more muscle. Using this position will cause you to lean a little more forward.

Low bar
    LowBar.jpg

Im sure this has a place and a purpose but I never found a way to make it comfortable.

As you can see the difference in location is only about and inch for each position but can make a huge difference in how the weight is lifted and how it feels. Keep your elbows up and back to help create the "shelf". Some people imagine pinching or holding something between their shoulder blades.

I understand what some people are saying about sucking it up a little. Its like riding a bike for the first time in a long time. Your *kitten* is just going to hurt for a while but if you stick with it you will get used to it.

This should not be confused with real pain or injury though. Bruising across your neck is a sign something is just not right. Move the bar or stand up straighter and see how that works.
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Bruising is an injury. You are causing trauma to yourself which breaks blood vessels causing discoloration. It's internal bleeding, granted on a small scale, but it's still an injury.

Anyway, I don't see a willingness to tolerate excessive bruising as an indicator of strength or toughness, but to each her own. I've got a massive bruise on my backside from backing into a closet door yesterday, (which does hurt like a mofo) not in a big hurry to add voluntary bruises to the unintentional ones. Squatting makes me stronger. Having bruises makes me.... bruised. I'm used to compensating for the pad since I've almost always used one, it doesn't get in the way.

I understand putting up with bruising when you are lifting a stone, but we totally have the technology to avoid it when doing squats, it's no big deal.