Quitting Sugar

Options

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I know that glucose can also be metabolized from carbohydrates, and about the various types of sugars present in fruits. I was trying to speak on more simplistic terms, because the OP was seemingly confused about sugar as a whole. So, I didn't see the point in going into the specifics of such things, if the OP was already a bit confused as a whole. :)

If you simplify it to the point of wrongness you do nobody any favours.

"So by limiting your sugar intake as a whole, you are basically limiting your brain's primary source of energy, which is required for even the most basic of functions" is actually incorrect, not simplified. 0/10.
  • thesevolatiletimes
    Options
    I know that glucose can also be metabolized from carbohydrates, and about the various types of sugars present in fruits. I was trying to speak on more simplistic terms, because the OP was seemingly confused about sugar as a whole. So, I didn't see the point in going into the specifics of such things, if the OP was already a bit confused as a whole. :)

"So by limiting your sugar intake as a whole, you are basically limiting your brain's primary source of energy, which is required for even the most basic of functions" is actually incorrect, not simplified. 0/10.

My science and cognitive psychology professors taught me otherwise, in my recent courses. I was taught that glucose was the primary source of energy for the cells within the brain, specifically when it comes to the neurotransmitter acetylcholine responsible for memory, learning, and muscular/nervous system function.

I'm always open to learning new information, since I believe the current educational system merely teaches students what to think, and not how to think. So, I enjoy hearing about/learning about alternative perspectives, theories, changes in theories, etc. How is it incorrect then? Do you have any valid articles/research I could read on such topics? Is there new information, or another perspective on the subject that I'm not yet aware of? Thank you in advance, if you have such. :)
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

My science and cognitive psychology professors taught me otherwise, in my recent courses. I was taught that glucose was the primary source of energy for the cells within the brain, specifically when it comes to the neurotransmitter acetylcholine responsible for memory, learning, and muscular/nervous system function.

I'm always open to learning new information, since I believe the current educational system merely teaches students what to think, and not how to think. So, I enjoy hearing about/learning about alternative perspectives, theories, changes in theories, etc. How is it incorrect then? Do you have any valid articles/research I could read on such topics? Is there new information, or another perspective on the subject that I'm not yet aware of? Thank you in advance, if you have such. :)

your professor is correct. the brain utilizes glucose
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm so impressed with how many doctors, nutritionists, and scientists are on this website. I thought I was addressing everyday dieters for their personal experience.

To those that have shared their personal experience, thank you.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I'm so impressed with how many doctors, nutritionists, and scientists are on this website. I thought I was addressing everyday dieters for their personal experience.

Don't be passive aggressive, it won't end well. You don't have to be a doctor or a scientist to be informed about sugar and it's effects on the body. I would be grateful that people are informed and sharing their opinion and you're not talking to 'everyday dieters' who just follow whatever trend seems loosely backed by dr Oz...
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Because only doctors and scientists take the time to be informed about sugar/nutrition/health. The rest of us are just ignorant dieters, right?

:huh:
  • Sandigesha
    Sandigesha Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Winners-never-quit-quitters-never-win.jpeg

Yeah, those people who stopped smoking totally lost their lifes!
  • jrose1982
    Options

Because only doctors and scientists take the time to be informed about sugar/nutrition/health. The rest of us are just ignorant dieters, right?

:huh:

Because people seem to assume I didn't bother to inform myself before I planned my dietary efforts, or that they're own knowledge is more complete (applied to their own lives, I'm sure it is). I know what I'm doing, I just want to know how my experience compares to others that have tried the same thing. And more than half the responses are people that seem to have never even tried it, and are just here to tell me I'm doing it wrong. Plus all these technical debates are really distracting in this forum.

Being able to understand this stuff within the context of your own health condition is good enough for most, and probably all that most people do. Applying it to the lives of others is another effort altogether. All the comments with "you're supposed to do this" and "you need that" tone are just regurgitations of the stuff somebody read (or heard from a friend) and I suspect most of it has the traces of the mutations similar to those found in the telephone game.

I do appreciate when people post links to information. But most of these responses contain nothing that I couldn't have found (with sources cited) in a google search.
  • jrose1982
    Options
    I'm trying to quit eating sugar. I don't include fruit in this, but I am limiting my fruit intake to 1 serving per day.
    The sugar withdrawals are intense! Headaches, fatique, hypoglycemic blood sugar levels, even shaking at times.

Have you been able to completely quit sugar? Did you feel withdrawal symptoms? How did you deal with them? How long did it take for the effects to stop?

didn't read this thread but just responding to the first question:

It took about a week, and I had some intense headaches too. A little green or black tea seemed to help.

I tend to remove sugar from my or my kids diet when we are fighting a cold because sugar can compete with vitamin C in our bodies and it can slow down our immune system. The nice thing about nature is that many natural sources of sugar (fruit) have vitamin C to offset this issue, but things like cookies and cake don't. :)

Thanks for your response. I hadn't thought about caffeinated teas, because I usually drink herbal. But that makes sense.
    Thanks!
  • Charliejl82
    Options
    Deary me! There is a lot of misinformed posts on here. Sugar - all sugar is 'natural' ie occurs in nature. How refined that sugar is by us humans affects the amount of other nutrients you will gain from that food. Fructose for example (fruit sugar) is the same calorie for calorie as sucrose but it tastes sweeter so you need less to get a sugar hit. Also you gain a lot of other nutrients from fruit than say a chocolate bar.

In terms of calories fruit is quite high so you should include it in your target. Cutting out more refined sugars is good but purely for the reason that you don't gain much else from the food your eating other than sugar.

I have cut out all refined sugar and fruit ( the fruit for a medical bowel condition). It was so hard bit I'm ok now, but I occasionally crave it. Good thing is I only need a tiny amount of sugar to fulfil that craving as it tastes soooo sweet now!

Hope that is some sensible info and just to ensure your confidence in this I have a biomed degree, and a post grad diploma, and I teach about health lol. DONE.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I gave up refined sugar on 10th June. I was fine after five days of withdrawal symptoms.

I do eat I portion of fruit a day. It works well for me and my all or nothing approach to sugar has really helped with my food choices... Now I have been able to occasionally eat something sugary but I'm not hooked on it.

Sugar is apparently eight times more addictive than cocaine!

As a former cocaine addict, I call complete BS on that. Jesus, where do people get this crap.
  • Charliejl82
    Options
    I gave up refined sugar on 10th June. I was fine after five days of withdrawal symptoms.

I do eat I portion of fruit a day. It works well for me and my all or nothing approach to sugar has really helped with my food choices... Now I have been able to occasionally eat something sugary but I'm not hooked on it.

Sugar is apparently eight times more addictive than cocaine!

As a former cocaine addict, I call complete BS on that. Jesus, where do people get this crap.

I think people get confused between psychologically addicted and physically addicted.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Worse, I think peope like to justify a lack of self control by calling it an addiction.
  • Lichent
    Lichent Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If the sugar is from FRESH fruit then it comes with vitamins, roughage and fiber, good to keep the old pooper workin.
    If the the sugar is table sugar then it is empty calories
    If it is high frutcose then it is downright mcnasty

Watch what your are getting the sugar from my bubby is an exsmoker and knows how stuff gets manipulated , remember those big chiefs for ciqarette companies testifying nicotine wasn't additive but they were manipuating the nicotine to keep people hooked well I read this today

The big players in the U.S. food industry have certainly acted like the tobacco pushers as they have deployed an incredible array of scientific and marketing research designed to get people to eat more, often at the obvious expense of their health. In his book, "Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us," journalist Michael Moss offers a damning portrait of food companies that have entire research wings dedicated to creating the ideal "bliss point" so that brain receptors crave a food without ever triggering a sense of being satiated. More often than not, adding sweetness has been the easiest way to fool the brain, resulting in products like Yoplait yogurt, which tries to project a healthy image but, as Moss notes, has twice as much real sugar per serving as Lucky Charms cereal - the poster child for an unhealthy breakfast when I was growing up. - See more at: http://mcalesternews.com/features/x1253343348/How-America-is-exporting-its-obesity-epidemic#sthash.Eg71H0w3.dpuf
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    If the sugar is from FRESH fruit then it comes with vitamins, roughage and fiber, good to keep the old pooper workin.
    If the the sugar is table sugar then it is empty calories
    If it is high frutcose then it is downright mcnasty

Watch what your are getting the sugar from my bubby is an exsmoker and knows how stuff gets manipulated , remember those big chiefs for ciqarette companies testifying nicotine wasn't additive but they were manipuating the nicotine to keep people hooked well I read this today

The big players in the U.S. food industry have certainly acted like the tobacco pushers as they have deployed an incredible array of scientific and marketing research designed to get people to eat more, often at the obvious expense of their health. In his book, "Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us," journalist Michael Moss offers a damning portrait of food companies that have entire research wings dedicated to creating the ideal "bliss point" so that brain receptors crave a food without ever triggering a sense of being satiated. More often than not, adding sweetness has been the easiest way to fool the brain, resulting in products like Yoplait yogurt, which tries to project a healthy image but, as Moss notes, has twice as much real sugar per serving as Lucky Charms cereal - the poster child for an unhealthy breakfast when I was growing up. - See more at: http://mcalesternews.com/features/x1253343348/How-America-is-exporting-its-obesity-epidemic#sthash.Eg71H0w3.dpuf
    please stop
  • AprilMLowe
    AprilMLowe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Just eat sugar in moderation! Your body is withdrawing for a reason because it needs some amount of sugar in fruits and vegetables. I went over to splenda for my tea and other snacks that I eat. I hope this helps for you!
  • tea4rose
    tea4rose Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    ......I get where you are coming from. Fruit like anything in excess can react badly in your body. On days where I have more than one fruit a day for a consistent period of time, my belly bloats very painfully. Yes science and society can tell you that, you should eat x amount of fruit and veg and why in ***** would someone limit fruit and its nutrients. Only you know the way a certain food reacts with you and your body. For me, having one serving of fruit in the mornings with breakfast has done wonders for weight loss. I find by eating less fruit, my craving for sweets is also lowered. This is just what works for me. I too am going back to a limit on my fruit.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options

He may be referring to the fact that the liver can make glucose from scratch and that the brain can also use ketones for energy when a person is in ketosis.

I agree that it is incorrect to imply that people need to eat "sugar" in order for their brain to function.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

Missed this until someone necromanced this thread, but since I asked the question that rustled some jimmies, please allow me to introduce myself. I'm Dr. Vpteryshyn, and unless you have a medical condition, there is no reason to cut out sugar. If it makes you feel better psychologically to restrict, well then have at it, but it is not inherently dangerous.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Herbal tea stops a heart attack within 30 seconds. You’ll see how to make it at home for pennies. http://CancerSurvivals.com

also, DAFUQ?