When to Stop?

2»

Replies

• MissNova
    MissNova Posts: 563 Member
    This first time I did this (8 years ago before kids), the charts said I should aim for 140. I am 5'7" but I didn't know any better. I thought getting to my driver's license number of 150 would be great. When I hit 165, I seriously plateaued and bounced around 160-165. When I couldn't go any lower, I stopped. Now that I'm at 210, I would LOVE 165!! I'm still not sure that will be my ending number though. I could live the rest of my life eating and exercising the way I am now so "stopping" is not really in my head. Eventually my body will stop losing though.

Another point is that I just now (yesterday) gave away my skinny clothes from that prior weight loss. After 2 kids, I don't think my body will fit those clothes the same. Besides, I was in my 20s and probably wouldn't wear those styles again.

I guess for everyone it is different to feel comfortable. I will just have to see how I feel when I get closer.
  • MissNova
    Mostly, I don't care about the number on the scale. I know what I want to feel and look like. Since I gained weight, I'm not as bouncy or energetic as I used to be and I miss that. My hips and knees hurt from carrying my weight around and I don't like that. And although I'm wearing size 8's, I do not like the way they look on me (lumpy). So, I'm focusing more on reshaping my figure and getting healthy than I am on weight loss, although I am also eating at a deficit to lose some fat (I'm at 27% right now).

Weird...I weigh 167 pounds and wear a size 8, and 5 years ago I weighed 145 and wore a size 8. So, the pounds are not as important as the tape measure, to me.

Hmm that is interesting! I guess I will try measuring myself as well to keep track of it! Thanx.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    You'll know when you get there if you're where you are supposed to be. It will feel right to you. Don't even plan a number at this point, just make the changes you need to make and start doing it.

It's like with running. At first you don't even use your watch because you have no clue how fast you should be running anyway. So why time it? Same with weight loss. Being healthy and feeling good is what it's all about. Where that number is for you can't be told right now. Give it time.
  • MissNova
    You'll know when you get there if you're where you are supposed to be. It will feel right to you. Don't even plan a number at this point, just make the changes you need to make and start doing it.

It's like with running. At first you don't even use your watch because you have no clue how fast you should be running anyway. So why time it? Same with weight loss. Being healthy and feeling good is what it's all about. Where that number is for you can't be told right now. Give it time.

Thank you SO much! That really made very much sense. I added a number on where I thought I wanted to be but like everyone says, you will know when you need to stop when it feels right.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Good morning MFP!!!

Just curious I have in my mind of a number that I would like to see on the scale. The thing is this was the number I was ten years ago and I do not know if I would like to be that number just yet. How do you know when to stop your weight loss journey? How did you come up with a number on when to stop?

I am just curious as how everyone else is doing it. I do not want to fall short of my goal because I like another weight better! Please help! Gracias :flowerforyou:

I would be happy on 140lbs, however, when I go on holiday, I invariably gain 2lb, therefore I am aiming for 138lbs so I have a leeway of 2lbs. Anyway at 138lbs, I will be able to fit into size 10s (UK) and look nice in dresses - it is also below the 10 stone mark and is a milestone.

I will go onto maintenance once I reach 138lbs.
  • MissNova
    Good morning MFP!!!

Just curious I have in my mind of a number that I would like to see on the scale. The thing is this was the number I was ten years ago and I do not know if I would like to be that number just yet. How do you know when to stop your weight loss journey? How did you come up with a number on when to stop?

I am just curious as how everyone else is doing it. I do not want to fall short of my goal because I like another weight better! Please help! Gracias :flowerforyou:

I would be happy on 140lbs, however, when I go on holiday, I invariably gain 2lb, therefore I am aiming for 138lbs so I have a leeway of 2lbs. Anyway at 138lbs, I will be able to fit into size 10s (UK) and look nice in dresses - it is also below the 10 stone mark and is a milestone.

I will go onto maintenance once I reach 138lbs.

That is great. I just want to be the weight I was at high school but be toned. Thanks, good luck.
This discussion has been closed.