Not into weight lifting. Is it really necessary at all?

Options
I used to lift (lightly) in my 20's. I went around with a man who was really into it, and he taught me how. But I don't think I ever really liked it that much.

As I get older, I've heard it's very important for a woman to do it to maintain muscle. But frankly, I like it even less now. I prefer pilates, yoga, or whatever.

But here is my question that I keep coming back to for those that think it's necessary and the best form of exercise for maintaining muscle. And that it has to be weights, as opposed to using your own body for the exercise, like you do for the most part in pilates (non reformer) and yoga. How do you explain people that don't lift, but are very muscular?

The first example that immediately comes to mind is a ballerina and her legs. They don't lift weights, other than using their body's weight to carry them. My understanding is they do cross train with pilates, yoga, etc., but no weight training. Yet, they are as muscular as can be in their legs.

So, is it really necessary?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    First, there is a difference between being really really lean (like the ballerina), and being muscular.

Second, the health benefits of lifting go far beyond just muscles. Strength for daily life, bone density, etc...

Third, strength training is a fairly broad term. Yes, in most cases weights are the most effective form, but there are a lot of good body weight exercises that can be done. I've done some yoga in my day, but I'm certainly no expert. IME, yoga is great for targeting supporting/stabilizing muscles, but doesn't do much to really strengthen the major muscle groups.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Few things are truly necessary.

Is strength training beneficial, yes of course. Do you have to lift weights in order to strength train, no, not at all. I haven't been in a gym in over 7 years. Most would consider me fairly muscular. I train hard using body weight exercises. Did I enjoy lifting weights back in the day, yes I loved it. But now I enjoy this body weight thing and seeing how far it can take me. There are things I can do now that I couldn't when I was "stronger" and lifted weights.

If you like yoga and pilates, stick with those. I'd also suggest incorporating other body weight strength training as that will only enhance your yoga & pilates practice.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    First, there is a difference between being really really lean (like the ballerina), and being muscular.

Second, the health benefits of lifting go far beyond just muscles. Strength for daily life, bone density, etc...

Third, strength training is a fairly broad term. Yes, in most cases weights are the most effective form, but there are a lot of good body weight exercises that can be done. I've done some yoga in my day, but I'm certainly no expert. IME, yoga is great for targeting supporting/stabilizing muscles, but doesn't do much to really strengthen the major muscle groups.

I disagree that ballerinas (professional) are really lean, as opposed to really muscular. They are both in my opinion. Their legs are very muscular.

As far as the benefits, yes I agree. I'm just trying to decide if these benefits need to be obtained from traditional weight lifting, or can be obtained from other exercise...which will also build muscle.

Other examples I think of are ice skaters, swimmers, gymnasts.
  • Mslmesq
    Options
    Few things are truly necessary.

Is strength training beneficial, yes of course. Do you have to lift weights in order to strength train, no, not at all. I haven't been in a gym in over 7 years. Most would consider me fairly muscular. I train hard using body weight exercises. Did I enjoy lifting weights back in the day, yes I loved it. But now I enjoy this body weight thing and seeing how far it can take me. There are things I can do now that I couldn't when I was "stronger" and lifted weights.

If you like yoga and pilates, stick with those. I'd also suggest incorporating other body weight strength training as that will only enhance your yoga & pilates practice.

Thanks. You do look great by the way. Thumbs up. :-)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

You don't think they lift? I know for a fact swimmers do, and I bet dollars to donuts the others do as well.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    I know lots of people who do pilates and yoga and look very fit and lean. But the other day one of them tried to give her 5 year old (who maybe weighed about 40lbs) a piggy back ride and she struggled to get up off the ground. Mind you she was about 5'9 in height so I don't think it should have been hard.
    It's gonna be a matter of preference to each individual. Some can be body strong, but if they don't weigh much, then doing things like lifting a suit case, full laundry basket or even groceries may be challenging. I'd like to think that if I had to move a couch by myself, I could do it.
    So again not necessary, but it does have it's advantages in the real world.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Yes its necessary for over all body composition

You will have a higher LEAN BODY MASS therefore you will need MORE calories daily

Besides you will look better . A bit of muscle on any frame looks good
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    It's probably going to be a heck of lot easier to just lift some weights than, say, train for the hours and hours a day it takes a ballerine to develop those legs through dance alone.

Unless that's your thing and then go for it.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I know lots of people who do pilates and yoga and look very fit and lean. But the other day one of them tried to give her 5 year old (who maybe weighed about 40lbs) a piggy back ride and she struggled to get up off the ground. Mind you she was about 5'9 in height so I don't think it should have been hard.
    It's gonna be a matter of preference to each individual. Some can be body strong, but if they don't weigh much, then doing things like lifting a suit case, full laundry basket or even groceries may be challenging. I'd like to think that if I had to move a couch by myself, I could do it.
    So again not necessary, but it does have it's advantages in the real world.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I think a good business idea would be a female only moving company where the girl move your stuff dressed in bikinis. Also their truck is pink. They could move your couch for you.
  • Mslmesq
    Options

You don't think they lift? I know for a fact swimmers do, and I bet dollars to donuts the others do as well.

Swimmers, I don't know. Probably depends. I used to ice skate. Back then, no they didn't. Ballet was encouraged to supplement. No one ever used to weight lift. Now, I don't know. But they had the same muscles back then.

Also, my husband doesn't lift but has really muscular legs from years of playing soccer. That is muscle memory cause he does nothing now. But they are still rock hard. Go figure. :-/
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Swimmers, I don't know. Probably depends. I used to ice skate. Back then, no they didn't. Ballet was encouraged to supplement. No one ever used to weight lift. Now, I don't know. But they had the same muscles back then.

Also, my husband doesn't lift but has really muscular legs from years of playing soccer. That is muscle memory cause he does nothing now. But they are still rock hard. Go figure. :-/

I know for a fact, skaters do now....at least if they're serious about it, same thing with soccer players.....
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    For me it is necessary ! at 48 I feel stronger than ever before in life! I feel lean and comfortable in my skin, I eat a ton of food since weights allow my body to burn faster with muscle.(love food) Yup for me it is a must;-) I love how I feel from lifting!

You gotta do what works for you.;-)

edited to add, using your own bodyweights is effective too.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    It's definitely not necessary. But it is helpful, and good for you. Here's the thing: If feeling like having to lift weights is going to deter you from working out because you dread it that much, don't do it. But if it's a minor annoyance to spend a little time on it every week, you might just want to do it since it's great for lean muscle mass and looking good.

And on a personal note, I'm not really into lifting either, but since I started doing even minor lifting a few months ago, I noticed a huuuuge difference. It seems worth an extra hour a week to me. I do it while I watch tv because I use free weights at home. =D
  • Mslmesq
    Options
    Yes its necessary for over all body composition

You will have a higher LEAN BODY MASS therefore you will need MORE calories daily

Besides you will look better . A bit of muscle on any frame looks good

I agree with this. I guess the question is how to get it.

I also do believe there is some muscle memory cause I've experienced it too.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

I'm thinking that your definition of muscular and others here may be quite different. E. G. Every soccer player I've seen has chicken legs
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    What is really necessary? I love lifting, but finding something you love that you will do consistently is much more important in the long run.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    I want lean muscle mass and to be strong and healthy. So for me, yes.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Back in the day distance runners didn't lift or do abs either.........strength training in general and weight lifting in particular offers so many benefits that all you really need to decide is whether or not the benefits outweigh your disinterest in weight lifting. You don't need to spend hours at it to derive a significant benefit and, like some vegetables, you may surprise yourself by growing to enjoy it (or at least the results)

I'm not sure what the rate of muscle loss is for women but for men over 40 it's alarming (about 1% per year and the rate accelerates after 60) and there is a growing body of solid evidence that many of the problems associated with aging can be mitigated through exercise (both cardio and strength)
  • Mslmesq
    Options

I'm thinking that your definition of muscular and others here may be quite different. E. G. Every soccer player I've seen has chicken legs

Well he's not a body builder, but they are definitely muscular. Probably not too different in my opinion then others. I dated someone who was a body builder and very big, so I understand the difference. He's still got muscular legs and a bike rider's but. But if he didn't get it from soccer, then idk.

Tennis, same thing though, imo. Look at the forearms.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals.

Do you want to be lose fat and muscle and be weak?

Do you want to lose fat and maintain muscle?

Do you want to lose fat and then build muscle?

I want to lose fat and maintain muscle, so lifting is for me.