Not into weight lifting. Is it really necessary at all?

Options

Replies

• mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    My legs are very muscular - mostly from Zumba and cardio. But I do also do the "toning" sections which include planks, push-ups etc and some exercises with hand weights. In fact I've just ordered some bigger weights because I've been using the ones I had for 6 months and they are small (and a bit rubbish - wrist/ankle ones that are really uncomfortable :ohwell: )

I'm really not into lifting stuff - I would just find it boring - but I'll do a Davina body pump with weights, or a Rosemary Conley session for abs etc.

As others have said, its finding what works for you and what you're prepared to do - no point signing up for something you won't keep to.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    It's not as if OP is saying, "can I just do cardio?", or "do I really need muscles?". She is doing work-outs that do focus on muscles. Body weight training is an effective way to improve muscle health and build muscle. She isn't asking how to be the next strong woman championship body builder. To maintain a balanced healthy lifestyle all that is required is some kind of strength training- this can be met with yoga and pilates. I would add other body weight exercises, too (squats, lunges, wall-sits, push-ups, planks, tricep dips, what have you).

That helps. Thank you. I do already incorporate most of those things.

I should add I don't just do mat pilates. I have a personal trainer and we use both the reformer machines and gyrotonic. They both have weights on them, as opposed to just the floor work. It's just not traditional weight lifting.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I would maybe try a more body-weight based program. Dancers have awesome legs cause we do lots of plies (think body-weight sumo squats), going up on our toes, jumping, holding awkward positions, etc.

The point is, no matter what you do, it's going to take hard work. Ballerinas (and dancers in general) work really hard and professionals dance for 8+ hours a day.
  • Mslmesq
    Options
    I would maybe try a more body-weight based program. Dancers have awesome legs cause we do lots of plies (think body-weight sumo squats), going up on our toes, jumping, holding awkward positions, etc.

The point is, no matter what you do, it's going to take hard work. Ballerinas (and dancers in general) work really hard and professionals dance for 8+ hours a day.

yup. And they eat and smoke the other 16.:wink:

No, i hear you though. And thank you.

Thank you all for your comments though. They are giving me pause to think! I appreciate it!
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    It's not as if OP is saying, "can I just do cardio?", or "do I really need muscles?". She is doing work-outs that do focus on muscles. Body weight training is an effective way to improve muscle health and build muscle. She isn't asking how to be the next strong woman championship body builder. To maintain a balanced healthy lifestyle all that is required is some kind of strength training- this can be met with yoga and pilates. I would add other body weight exercises, too (squats, lunges, wall-sits, push-ups, planks, tricep dips, what have you).

I should add I don't just do mat pilates. I have a personal trainer and we use both the reformer machines and gyrotonic. They both have weights on them, as opposed to just the floor work. It's just not traditional weight lifting.
    resistance training is not limited to "weight lifting"

Yoga is a form of resistance training
  • Mslmesq
    Options

resistance training is not limited to "weight lifting"

Yoga is a form of resistance training

Thank you. :smile:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It's not necessary, but there are a lot of benefits, especially as you age. You reach your peak strength by age 25.

Muscle mass naturally diminishes with age. If you are not working to preserve the lean body mass, you will increase the percentage of fat.

Strength training increases bone density and reduces the risk of osteoporosis.

As you gain muscle, your body begins to burn calories more efficiently.

As you get stronger, you won't fatigue as easily. Building muscle also contributes to better balance, and enhances performance in other sports.

Strength training can reduce the signs and symptoms of many chronic conditions, including back pain, arthritis, obesity, heart disease and diabetes.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I'm married to a swimmer. I can guarantee you that they lift A LOT. Ever watched what the olympic swimmers do to cross train? It has a lot of heavy heavy weight lifting involved. Also, I know that gymnasts lift. Skaters - I think it depends on what level you are competing at but at an olympic level I could pretty much bet that they are lifting as well.

Using your body weight as resistance is basically the same as weight lifting up to a given point. Just depends on the exercises that you do and when you hit that plateau.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I am worried about losing muscle mass as I age though, thus my thinking about all of this.

Then I recommend that you consider lifting weights.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Every single professional dancer I know lifts weights, ESPECIALLY the women.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    As a practical matter, I believe it is by far MORE necessary for women to do strength training than it is for me, as we age. Bone health and all that.

It's probably easier to get in 10-15 minutes of weightlifting 4-5 days a week, say, before or after your other stuff than to try to fit in longer weightlifting-only workouts. If you did compound lifts, like deadlifts, squats, and an upper body pull and push you could just do one of those at each workout and it'd be better than nothing. Think of it like rehab or medicine. Nobody likes to take time to do a warm-up, pre-hab work, or cool-down, but it needs to be done anyway. It's just housekeeping.

That coupled with power yoga, bodyweight exercises and your reformer Pilates sounds like it'd be pretty good.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    It's not necessary, but there are a lot of benefits, especially as you age. You reach your peak strength by age 25.
    You may have meant peak opportunity for strength. My husband and I are pushing 40, and continue to get stronger every year.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Why not do both? Three days a week I do a half hour of strength training, then I do 47 minutes of pilates. Two days a week I do an hour of pilates. I'm not a big fan of strength training, but I find it's helped me greatly.

It's really your choice. Do what you like.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You may have meant peak opportunity for strength. My husband and I are pushing 40, and continue to get stronger every year.

Yes. I'm 50 and stronger than ever before. Wish I had started lifting sooner.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Resistance training of some kind is essential IMHO...weight training happens to be the most efficient way to train your muscles in the least amount of time. You can do body resistance training too, but it takes a lot more time and eventually will require some imaginative thinking to keep challenging your muscles.

Every sport I've ever played...Track and Field, Football, Soccer, Swim Team, Diving, Wrestling, Basket ball, golf, and tennis all required some form of weight training...obviously I lifted a lot more and differently playing football than I did with the swim team...but nevertheless, weight training was an important aspect of my training...so I'm not sure where all of this, "well these athletes don't weight train and those athletes don't weight train" is coming from
  • vanillarama
    vanillarama Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    No, you do not have to lift barbells, dumbbells, or use RT machines if you do not want to.

There is absolutely no reason why you need to lift *A* weight to strength train.

You do have to lift weight, but it can be your own, or you can use bands for RT. I'm not sure why some people in this thread are telling you that you can not maintain muscle/bone density unless you literally lift some external weight.

Is a squat, or a press-up not strength training? A lunge? a pull-up? Aren't they some of the best?
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Can do a lot of strength training without weights. But weights are in many ways easier, especially if you're starting out weak. Setting up a workout structure and progressive training is pretty simple.

Bodyweight can be really great, but also can be just f'ing around and avoiding weak points.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Once you get over 30 some kind of progressive resistance training becomes more and more important.

Btw, if you're really pushing yourself to do harder and harder asanas, then yoga's a form of strength training. Some of the stuff the advanced guys do requires a huge amount of strength. Your average practioner is not doing it like this though.....
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    It's definitely not necessary. But it is helpful, and good for you. Here's the thing: If feeling like having to lift weights is going to deter you from working out because you dread it that much, don't do it. But if it's a minor annoyance to spend a little time on it every week, you might just want to do it since it's great for lean muscle mass and looking good.

Spot on. The thing is, especially for women, it becomes more important as we age, because for example, we lose significant bone density as we creep up to menopause. Weight lifting increases bone density, therefore minimizing the effects of aging on our bodies.

Plus I love knowing that I can deadlift my husband if I needed to (not sure why I would, but still.) I love feeling strong and capable, and lifting helps me feel that way, even though my body still has a good bit of fat to lose.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Yes. I'm 50 and stronger than ever before. Wish I had started lifting sooner.

I think it's more like mid to late thirties.

Can't see a mere 20 something being at the peak of their powers....

....recovery tails off though, but you learn to be smarter about training to still make strides and not put yourself into the ground!