Plain Greek Yogurt

Options
I realize it's best to buy plain yogurt rather than the flavored varieties. However, I have tried it in the past and was not able to make it so I could stand to eat it. Do you have any tricks?

Replies

• rusty1257
    rusty1257 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Mix with fresh or frozen berries. You could add some nuts for crunch. Another idea is to mix in unsweetened apple sauce.
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I freeze bananas, then when the banana has defrosted mash it up and mix it into the yogurt. It mixes in so much better and just tastes like banana yogurt. Then you can add any extras you want too.
  • klight1236
    klight1236 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I eat plain, vanilla , and strawberry flavored but when I do eat the plain I usually put some fruit in it or dab some honey in it. What really helped me is to eat less sugar in my diet. For some reason ever since I stopped eating a ton of sugar the plain has been tasting better.
  • JayMri
    JayMri Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I eat flavored mostly but when I do eat plain I add a bit of stevia and fresh fruit to is. Also added granola and vanilla protein powder from time to time.
  • ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Try severall different plain greeks as well, they have different 'sour' flavors. I cannot stand the chobani plain (although other people only eat that kind), but find that I do like the store brand plain. I like to add homemade granola, frozen berries that I allow to thaw, or my favorite is some coconut, slivered almonds and chocolate chips. I need something slightly sweet but it still is MUCH less sugar than store bought flavored.
  • kelseymaccombs
    kelseymaccombs Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Try severall different plain greeks as well, they have different 'sour' flavors. I cannot stand the chobani plain (although other people only eat that kind), but find that I do like the store brand plain. I like to add homemade granola, frozen berries that I allow to thaw, or my favorite is some coconut, slivered almonds and chocolate chips. I need something slightly sweet but it still is MUCH less sugar than store bought flavored.

Cocnut, slivered almonds & chocolate chips... now that sounds AMAZING.
  • suzyfj8
    suzyfj8 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Add fruit (dried or fresh), nuts and if you want to indulge some honey!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I love the Fage plain greek yogurt with a roasted sweet potato. SO good!

Otherwise I'll stir in a bit of fruit preserves or eat it with fresh fruit, granola. Other times I sort of treat it more like sour cream and dip veggies in it, but I'm weird like that.
  • myurav
    myurav Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    First off, I usually go for the 2% because it tastes sooo much better than 0%. I also add honey or strawberries or half a packet of splenda to make it sweeter :)
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I mix fruit or honey into it. Today I have it mixed with blue berries and blackberries. I also dip strawberries or apples in it. You can add granola too. Or use it as a base to make veggie dip instead of mayo.

Or make it chocolate with cocoa powder or syrup or chocolate chips or protein powder a little milk and some honey in a blender. If you freeze it isn't sorta like frozen yogurt.

I don't like the flavored kinds. I even bought a new brand that was out to try it because you never know and they are way to sweet. I'm gonna have to eat them though. Cant' throw away food.

Maybe you just don't like the brand? have you tried others? I usually only eat Chobani, but will get greek god if I have to. I've tried some others and don't really like them.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I have never even considered using plain no fat greek yogurt as a "sweet" snack. I use it for savory - usually in place of sour cream. Mix it with hot sauce and spices for a tasty dip/spread too. Also mix it with feta cheese, oregano and lemon juice to top chicken burgers.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    add cinnamon. or just buy flavored greek yogurt, nothing wrong with that.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I mix in vanilla protein powder and then whatever fixings I feel like that day - fruit & granola, cranberries and walnuts, etc.
  • davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it, don't eat it. It's a fad food really... If you want protein, make a protein shake (yum)
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Yes, different brands. I hate chobani and oikos. My favorite is greek gods. Most of the time mine goes in my morning smoothie of frozen fruit, spinach, chia seeds, and coconut water. But I have made sauces for fish and crackers with it.
  • jacklis
    jacklis Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Frozen raspberries do the trick for me. They have a wonderful sweet/tart flavour that cuts through the sourness of the yogurt.
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My wife will eat plain greek yogurt with just berries. I still add a packet of monk fruit to mine as I just can't deal with the plain yogurt still, so monk fruit and berries and I am good to go. It is still much less sweet then the preblended stuff, and I can add fresh berries to it while they are available. We get the fat free stuff at the moment although I may want to change that up.
  • michelledusik
    michelledusik Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I eat plain Greek yogurt all the time and this is how - I cut up a Red Delicious apple and mix it with 1/2 cup of yogurt, 1 T honey and top it with cinnamon. You can also add some walnuts in it if you want. It is SO GOOD!!!!!! Enjoy!
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Add jelly or jam, half a tablespoon is sweet enough to make a whole cup of yogurt!
    Really delicious to mix with cinnamon and use as a dip for sliced apples!
    Try it with a very sweet fruit, like pineapple or strawberries.
    Mix it with cocoa powder and honey, though this adds a significant amount of sugar.
    I found a recipe recently where it was mixed with canned pumpkin and cinnamon, curious about that and plan to try it soon.
    I've used it as a sour cream substitute for mashed potatoes and nachos.

I eat greek yogurt almost every day~ yum
    I really enjoy the bitter flavor though, so you might just not be cut out to eat it. There are plenty of other high protein snacks that you don't have to choke down!
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Plain mixed with Peanut Butter. Yum. Or mixed with chocolate or vanilla protein powder :smile: