Plain Greek Yogurt

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I realize it's best to buy plain yogurt rather than the flavored varieties. However, I have tried it in the past and was not able to make it so I could stand to eat it. Do you have any tricks?
    Why do you think it's best to buy plain? Buy what you like.
  • CMay16
    CMay16 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    My wife will eat plain greek yogurt with just berries. I still add a packet of monk fruit to mine as I just can't deal with the plain yogurt still, so monk fruit and berries and I am good to go. It is still much less sweet then the preblended stuff, and I can add fresh berries to it while they are available. We get the fat free stuff at the moment although I may want to change that up.

What the heck is monk fruit??
  • iheartbiology
    iheartbiology Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Frozen berries added the night before thaw and release sweet juices. That with a tablespoon of unsweetened coco powder adds a whipped chocolate taste AND added iron!
  • debress
    debress Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I add a little splenda to the store brand fat free Greek yogurt. The flavored varieties have a lot more sugar.
  • moosetracks125
    moosetracks125 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    here is a healthy recipe: with 4 oz of yogurt, add 1 tbl lemon juice, 1 tsp honey, 1 tsp flax seed oil, sweeten to taste with stevia. mix in 1 tbl chopped walnuts and 2 tbls of crushed wheat chex (or other cerial):smile:
  • kmorales_4
    kmorales_4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Please don't judge me, but I too couldn't stand the flavor of plain greek yogurt so I opened up a pack of splenda and added a bit of vanilla extract. I've done it with coconut extract and almond extract. On top of that, I add some yummy grannola and delish transformations occured. :wink:
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I add a bit of hot cocoa mix and some chocolate chips. Voila. Dessert.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    There are a bajillion yummy healthy foods out there, don't eat anything you don't like.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to start an argument here … but I'm wondering, how is it different to buy plain and then add honey or other sweetener, than to buy the already sweetened? Maybe you're controlling the sugar more?

I buy Yoplait Greek 100 - the flavored kind. I compared labels of a bunch of different brands, and found Yoplait to have the lowest sugar for the amount of protein. (The protein is a bit lower that Chobani and some other brands, but the sugar is a lot lower). It's just easier, and IMO costs less, than buying plain and all the things to add to it. (Greek may be a 'fad' as one poster said, but I've eaten yogurt since I was a kid, and decided I like the extra protein and the consistency of greek better anyway)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I like it with honey, or really sweet fruit like black grapes or ripe berries.
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Adding a little honey helped me.
  • gadoal
    gadoal Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Like in Greece: few almonds &/or walnuts and a tsp of honey...delicious!
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I don't put anything in my mouth that I can't stand the taste of

Why do that to yourself?
  • ronitabur
    ronitabur Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I am "sugar free" so I eat plain Chobani greek yogurt all the time. I merely add a bit of Truvia to it, and let it sit for about 10 minutes for the granules to dissolve. Love it! It still has sugar in it, but at least it's from a natural source and isn't added by the company. And, I usually don't add anything to it, but I will add it to fruit smoothies instead of milk because there is more protein and less sugar. Then I add a touch of sugar free almond milk to thin out the smoothie. It's yummy!
  • cmurphy252
    cmurphy252 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    My trick? Buy the flavored greek yogurt. If you dont like it, no need to buy it/force yourself to eat it. I tried to add chocolate pudding (powder) to mine per the suggestion of someone else . . . . . PURE NASTINESS!! I added sugar and honey to try and sweeten it up - just couldnt get it down. I use mine for cooking and for nothing else.
  • aproctor1120
    Options
    Right on, mathjulz! I too compared sugar content and found Yoplait Greek 100 calorie yogurt to have the lowest. I absolutely L-O-V-E the lemon and lime flavors. Eating this lime yogurt tastes like a margarita without the tequila!
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love plain yogurt. I like it so many ways. Two of my favorite ways to eat it are 1. with granola and 2. with any fruit and honey. I eat plain yogurt everyday because I need the calcium.
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to start an argument here … but I'm wondering, how is it different to buy plain and then add honey or other sweetener, than to buy the already sweetened? Maybe you're controlling the sugar more?

I buy Yoplait Greek 100 - the flavored kind. I compared labels of a bunch of different brands, and found Yoplait to have the lowest sugar for the amount of protein. (The protein is a bit lower that Chobani and some other brands, but the sugar is a lot lower). It's just easier, and IMO costs less, than buying plain and all the things to add to it. (Greek may be a 'fad' as one poster said, but I've eaten yogurt since I was a kid, and decided I like the extra protein and the consistency of greek better anyway)

Well when you buy the plain non fat yogurt you get a cup instead of a few ounces for the same number of calories. You control the sugar and additives. Most of the things added to flavored yogurt are chemicals and sugar to improve the taste. I'm eating for health as well as weight loss.
  • gsgitu
    gsgitu Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    sugar free coffee flavorings and splenda. cause i like it sweet. like it for cottage cheese too.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    When I had dairy, I would mix in a little bit of protein powder. It would taste like pudding.
    Also frozen berries, honey, or a little granola.