Words/Phrases that bug you!?

Options

Replies

• Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    It drives me NUTS when people add an s on the end of the grocery store "Kroger" and call it "Krogers." I know a guy who is a manager at that store, and he even calls it that. Wtf, he obviously knows what the name of the store is!
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    "Twerking"...ugly word for an equally ugly act.
  • m8605
    m8605 Posts: 102
    Options
    Juice when referring to battery life on devices. Just how Juice sounds in general really
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Juice when referring to battery life on devices. Just how Juice sounds in general really

Juice got me thinking about when people say O.J. instead of orange Juice, All that does is remind me of is O.J. Simpson and I don't need to be reminded of that.

Yummo! That just needs to stop.

"That's how I roll" - my 11 year old said that yesterday, I told him he sounded like an idiot.
  • runningvegan
    Options
    The most annoying word used on this site is "journey". Closely followed by "lifestyle change".
  • Luwright321
    Luwright321 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    "baby mama"

This definitely and of course "baby daddy"
  • minniespearl
    Options
    Someone told me they were on vaca. I can understand it when you're writing and don't feel like typing all the letters, or don't have space for all of them, but in speech? Also, don't like even boobs, let alone boobies. Phrases that become so 'cool' that they are repeated again and again, and sometimes in a semi-controlling way: 'ya think?'; 'It is what it is' "Don't even go there.' There was one guy who kept telling me, 'ya think?' as though I were saying something stupid. I just wanted to hit him, but that wouldn't have been polite. Grrrrh!
  • LH85DC
    LH85DC Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    literally.

As in, my head LITERALLY exploded.

This one isn't going to get better for you- Oxford English Dictionary actually includes a definition for the word 'literally' to describe how the word is used 'deliberately in non-literal contexts,' and apparently has been used that way for many years. Doesn't make me like it any more though... For more: http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2013/08/literally/
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    "Going forward" -- more of a corporate thing
    THIS! The EA in our office uses it all the bloody time, drives me crazy!
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    "Beast it" What my spin instructor says ll the time. I want to have a great workout out, but I don't want to be a beast or act like one.
    "Whatever" or "Whatevs" and the eye rolling that usually goes with it.
    "Man -up"
    "How's that working for you"
    "Gal"
    "Worst" or "worst ever" when it's clearly not the worst. Child abuse, rape and murder would be among the worst, not a bad movie, bad hair day, etc
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Oh, and saying "like" or "you know" every other word.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    "Panties" - I've always despised that word. It's just underwear.
    "Italian" (pronounced eye-talian) - No. It's not from Eye-taly, so it's not Eye-talian.
    "Melk" or "Pellow" - Though that's more of just a regional accent thing and doesn't bother me that much.
    Inserting Rs into words where they don't belong, e.g., "waRsh"

One of my friends hates any variant of the word "poop". She says, "Just call it *kitten*!"

My boyfriend hates when I say "dang" or "dangit" because it reminds him of people from Flint, MI (he's from Detroit originally), and he hates Flint with a passion.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Didn't read them all but it bothers me when people use the term "irregardless". Here is a tip, that's not a word.
  • NordicAlien
    NordicAlien Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My snobbiness may come out here, but I can't stand it when people in commercials say a foreign product name wrong. Like cho-RIZZ-oh instead of cho-REETH-oh (chorizo) or jal-ah-PEE-no instead of hal-ah-PEN-yo (jalapeño).

Doesn't bother me in the slightest when friends do it, especially if they don't speak Spanish (or whatever language the word is from), but if you're getting paid to make a commercial you should do the research to get it right.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    "Panties" - I've always despised that word. It's just underwear.
    "Italian" (pronounced eye-talian) - No. It's not from Eye-taly, so it's not Eye-talian.
    "Melk" or "Pellow" - Though that's more of just a regional accent thing and doesn't bother me that much.
    Inserting Rs into words where they don't belong, e.g., "waRsh"

One of my friends hates any variant of the word "poop". She says, "Just call it *kitten*!"

My boyfriend hates when I say "dang" or "dangit" because it reminds him of people from Flint, MI (he's from Detroit originally), and he hates Flint with a passion.

When I was just beginning to learn how to spell and learning pronunciations, I would spell and say Melk, and "dat", "dis" (instead of the that and this respectively)... but my excuse was we were in the Netherlands where that was their spellings and pronunciations of the words...
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThxNlXxADMLQneJl0aZ4uALNOvu0X6zvqGx6Mgkaffbaau_3ljTw

:laugh: Check out them kittens!
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    "where's all the hot guys/girls"
  • VelvetMorning
    VelvetMorning Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    holla
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    "At the end of the day...."
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I hate the word yummy with a passion. I also hate when anyone refers to a "tummy" or "belly" when not speaking to somebody under six years old.

Yeah, that. I hate when someone refers to their stomach as their tummy. Ugh.

And the phrases "at the end of the day" or "that said".