Replies

• pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m80mn92Rq21r1zn4oo1_250.gif
  • klovold1983
    klovold1983 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    ...it doesn't mean that all you eat are processed foods (OMG!) or junk foods (Oh Noes!) or sugary foods (OMG! Oh Noes!), it just means that you can find a way to enjoy the foods that you like while eating a nutritionally satisfying diet, because eating delicious food is one of the great pleasures of life and to deprive yourself of that pleasure is surely a sign of some sort of disordered thinking.

so it's a lot of this:

fruit.gif

FarmedSalmon_NewHero.jpg

vegetable-fried-rice.jpg

grilled-chicken-breasts.jpg

Veggies.jpg

Yogurt.jpg

and some of this:

pizza.png

252083_10150268307797310_141607032309_7464950_7034510_n.jpg

crisp_chocolate_chip_cookies_600.jpg

BaconCheeseCloseAutoCleaned.jpg

but definitely never, ever any of this:

asparagus.jpg

roasted-brussels-sprouts-fd-lg-1.jpeg

2376804574_247739db54.jpg

so can we cut out the strawman arguments already? listen to the IIFYM people... they know what they are talking about. weight loss is about calories. nutrition is about a diversity of foods. fitness is about picking up and putting down heavy stuff and maybe doing some cardio to improve your heart and lung efficiency. life is about enjoying as much of it as you can in your short time on this big blue marble hurtling through space.

I think... I could maybe be in love with you.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    2376804574_247739db54.jpg

Really?

Get out.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot, now I want cookies and watermelon!

<Not sarcasm. lol>
  • Shateyn
    Options
    Well said!
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    there are other, more sexy definitions, as well
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

fitness is about picking up and putting down heavy stuff and maybe doing some cardio to improve your heart and lung efficiency.

Fitness, or being physically fit and healthy, is not limited to lifting heavy and maybe some cardio.

I do, however, agree with the part about eating what you want and not separating out foods like they're in these magical good or bad categories.

i'm ok with a more expansive definition of fitness to include overall health. i was trying to keep it short and simple, but mental, emotional, and physical health are all part of one's well-being... and some people engage in activities that benefit from other forms of exercise (crossfitters, HIIT training, ultramarathoning, etc.) and/or stretching and flexibility (yoga, etc.). and for those who feel strongly on the subject, spiritual health can be important too.

i think we get a bit too caught up in arguing semantics and flailing at strawmen on here sometimes (i'm certainly guilty of this too), and i just wish we could have occasional days where people discussed subjects more than argued subjects.
  • reddaddie
    reddaddie Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I thought dirty eating was TOGO's at the beach on a windy day. (sand and all that)
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

fitness is about picking up and putting down heavy stuff and maybe doing some cardio to improve your heart and lung efficiency.

Fitness, or being physically fit and healthy, is not limited to lifting heavy and maybe some cardio.

I do, however, agree with the part about eating what you want and not separating out foods like they're in these magical good or bad categories.

i'm ok with a more expansive definition of fitness to include overall health. i was trying to keep it short and simple, but mental, emotional, and physical health are all part of one's well-being... and some people engage in activities that benefit from other forms of exercise (crossfitters, HIIT training, ultramarathoning, etc.) and/or stretching and flexibility (yoga, etc.). and for those who feel strongly on the subject, spiritual health can be important too.

i think we get a bit too caught up in arguing semantics and flailing at strawmen on here sometimes (i'm certainly guilty of this too), and i just wish we could have occasional days where people discussed subjects more than argued subjects.

I just wanted to clarify so that sentence didn't alienate folks who were on the fence but don't particularly care for weight lifting and would take offense to it. Not an argument.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Seems legit...

...except I like the three "bad" foods.

Asparagus oiled, salted, and grilled...

...and brussel sprouts sauteed in bacon grease (or roasted w/ garlic)...

...and black licorice by the pound.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Glad i just had lunch, else i would be drooling at that pizza right about now!!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    Options
    Seems legit...

Brussels in pancetta is awesome. Brussels sauteed in butter and a nice dash of nutmeg is heaven on a plate.

And black licorice makes my mouth water.

I could take or leave asparagus, but the husband likes it. I prefer it barely steamed and still crunchy.
  • depuydt2011
    depuydt2011 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    They see me Chewin', They Hatin'......Tryin to catch me eatin dirty!!!

Yes!! this went through my head when I read the title too :glasses:
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    But, but... I like black licorice.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options
    Seems legit...

Brussels in pancetta is awesome. Brussels sauteed in butter and a nice dash of nutmeg is heaven on a plate.

And black licorice makes my mouth water.

I could take or leave asparagus, but the husband likes it. I prefer it barely steamed and still crunchy.

1bodysnatchers.jpg
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness that's not my diet!

Although I have to admit that the first two and last three dishes do look appealing. Maybe the ninth too - or maybe not, they look like they might have the dry, crunchy, over-baked texture (don't bake them, bake them a lot less, or add more rolled grains to the ground grains).

Some notes:
    - The pizza is either wearing too much sunblock, or needs to be drained before it gets zits. But admittedly, it is great diet food: when I have pizza that shiny, it comes out faster than I can digest it.
    - Bacon on ground beef is a waste of good bacon.
    - Toaster pastries (like spray cheeses) are meant to be supplies for abstract art and engineering projects, not as negative reinforcement against eating perfectly fine ice-cream
    - If you take the time to tie up your asparagus, your not eating it fresh enough: it should be treated more like sweet corn - eat it shortly before harvesting if possible.
    - You forgot deep fried Snickers and beer. You should remind people who are new to dieting that they are OK too, because they might have heard otherwise.

Yeah, my diet has made me pickier: I am no longer willing to eat a lardy popular food just to be nice to the people around me. There's not enough calories in the day for that.

And I would thank you to stop trying to convince people that it's "bad" if I don't eat as seen on TV. These posts ARE used by people to try to tell me that I *have* to eat the crappy **** to loose weight. Not Helpful. When I have the stuff I like - like eating a whole melon, my preferred kind of cheat day - I get told that it "can't be maintained" and I should have some high fat, high sugar crap instead of all that "melon sugar". WTF? I *like* melons! And then I get told that the nachos-beer-hot-dog selection at a bout is good enough for everyone, even though it's stuff I Don't Like To Eat! "Oh... but it's good for your diet, look at this list of posts." F*** no! It's #%* I didn't like to eat, and *still* don't like to eat!

Yeah, I'm sick of lardy "comfort food", I'm sick of fried-faux-cheese anything, I'm sick of cramming protein, and I'm sick of meals that are sugar held together with oil and modified food starch, Why am I ostracized for not liking these??? Can't I eat what *I* like???

Dude. you totally missed the point. nobody is telling you to eat foods that you genuinely do not like so please do not try to misconstrue things and make it seem like someone is trying to force feed you pizza. i think the point is that if you like pizza and decide that you would like to enjoy a slice every now & then, that's ok. that is all. so if you want to eat a melon more than anything else in the world then go eat a melon and chill out.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options
    Dude. you totally missed the point. nobody is telling you to eat foods that you genuinely do not like so please do not try to misconstrue things and make it seem like someone is trying to force feed you pizza. i think the point is that if you like pizza and decide that you would like to enjoy a slice every now & then, that's ok. that is all. so if you want to eat a melon more than anything else in the world then go eat a melon and chill out.

don't worry. that guy PERFECTLY illustrates the sort of strawman arguments we routinely see here from the people who don't understand IIFYM. sure, he's trying to hijack the thread (which is a clear violation of the TOS), but that stuff he posted is helpful for others to see why i posted this thread. there's a difference between what IIFYM actually is and what the people who don't like IIFYM claim it is.
  • rsalty
    rsalty Posts: 68 Member
    Options

don't worry. that guy PERFECTLY illustrates the sort of strawman arguments we routinely see here from the people who don't understand IIFYM. sure, he's trying to hijack the thread (which is a clear violation of the TOS), but that stuff he posted is helpful for others to see why i posted this thread. there's a difference between what IIFYM actually is and what the people who don't like IIFYM claim it is.

I had posts nearly identical to this thrown at me last night to try to convince me I had to eat stuff I don't like. Your version of the OP's "intention" of the post is not how it was taken by the people trying to use things indistinguishable from it against my preferred way to eat.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I had posts nearly identical to this thrown at me last night to try to convince me I had to eat stuff I don't like. Your version of the OP's "intention" of the post is not how it was taken by the people trying to use things indistinguishable from it against my preferred way to eat.

I believe this is what's known as "projecting".

And it's been a long day for me, so I could be missing something, but that guy's "version" of OP's "intention" is likely valid...

...since he *is* the OP.
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I want it ALL! Especially the last 3 "evil foods":)