How many calories did you eat in a day before MFP?

Options
I was curious about this yesterday, so last night I sat and added one of my usual binge type days to my MFP diary. It's accurate as far as I can figure. I've been doing this just over a month and lost 15lbs, next weigh in Sunday, and I wanted to know just where I'd have been without MFP. It was a bit of a shock. My diary is open and I performed my experiment on the 4th July for anyone who is interested. Now I know why I almost hit 300lbs!

How about you?

Replies

• Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    LOVE that you logged the binge - that shows the honesty and self-acceptance that will bring you success. xx
  • fatoldladyonamission
    Options
    I wish I could say it was just a binge, sadly I think I actually ate this way several days a week, and that's without our twice weekly takeaways. Scary really. Just glad I'm not that person any more. I know now that there's no way I could eat like that now I know how many calories it actually was. I would've been putting on near enough a pound a day!
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Isn't it funny the bad habits we allow ourselves to get into and accept as normal? Which makes me think of life with my ex-husband...

You CANNOT have fat old lady as your username. Whatcha gonna do when you slim? :wink:
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    TDEE plus 40%

No wonder I was overweight.
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Between 2500 - 3000. Yes, no wonder I got to where I am today! Now, I am painfully aware of what I put in my mouth.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I honestly have no idea, because when I started MFP I followed my calorie goal. If I had to guess, I'd say probably 3000ish. I admit, I was a Wendy's Junkie. I'd have fast food at least 3 times a week. I hardly ate vegetables. Processed foods were a staple in my house. I never thought twice about eating 4-5 cookies a day around Christmas (December, for nearly the whole month). Half a pizza for dinner was normal.

Now, not so much.
  • jacobhyatt91
    jacobhyatt91 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    i really dont wanna know what i was at lol....guessing it could easily have been over 4000 a day :frown:
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I was the opposite, I barely even made 1200 calories. Eating like that for years messed up my metabolism and I piled on weight when I was pregnant!
  • fatoldladyonamission
    Options
    Sadly I realised that about my name after I'd done the one name change allowed away from my original name, I can't change it again :( think it was my way of shaming myself into it, but I've realised since that I didn't need to.

Ninkyou I kept to the program since I started, I just went back to a day before I started in my diary and added everything I coukd think of just to see what it came to! I definitely wouldn't binge like that at all since starting! Was shocking to see what I'd been doing though!
  • taniiagirl
    Options
    I love what you did if I wasnt so scared about falling into old habits I would give your idea a go myself.
    I know the feeling looking back its no wonder I put on all the weight
    well done so far and good luck on your journey :)
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I told my husband that I probably ate 3000-4000 calories daily before (and during my break from) MFP. One time I did just as you, logged a day of my old normal, and it was 3700 calories. For awhile there, I was eating fast food 2 a day, lots of candy and pop...it was sick.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I counted calories of an average day it was about 1500-1700 calories on average. it took many years to get where I am, it was a slow creep. I think it was not being mindful while eating out that did me in. we eat out on average once or twice a week (or did) also soda pop, I'd have one or two cans a day as a habit off and on, (that was on top of the 1500-1700 when I did the calorie analysis of what a day looked like for me I wasn't drinking soda)
  • Dark_Pinoy
    Options
    I ate a boat load. Probably about 2.5 cups of rice everyday ('cause I'm Asian :P) and I was 20 lbs from hitting 200. I knew the only way that I could lose weight is if I counted calories so I'm doing just that. Now I count calories and try to keep it below 1500 and go to the gym three times a week for about an hour and walk for that hour. 13-15 incline, 3.5 speed. I burn about 750 calories every time I work out with this regimen and I'm already at 174.2 down from 180!
  • agoonia1
    agoonia1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Over 2100 cals for a day, no exercise. I have no idea how come I didn't get morbidly obese in the process.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    3000ish I think. Probably 5000 some days. I only gained 10 lbs in 5 years, which is actually quite shocking (on a side note, I looked at your diary, you got to eat more than 1200 calories!).
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Probably around 2800-3400 cuz I drank alot of regular soda then. Now I try to stick between the 1250-1450 range.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    On average about 4200, but upwards of 5000 occasionally.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Around 2500 or so, I plateaued at just under 250 pounds and my TDEE is about there.

Now I'm between 1200 and 1500 depending on the day.
  • fatoldladyonamission
    Options
    3000ish I think. Probably 5000 some days. I only gained 10 lbs in 5 years, which is actually quite shocking (on a side note, I looked at your diary, you got to eat more than 1200 calories!).

I know. I'm working on it, I'm just wary of letting go too much too early! It's gradually increasing! Although we're out tomorrow for a friend's 50th party so I'm trying to save some calories for that too ;) but thank you, appreciate the advice :)
  • chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Before MFP (joined 80 days ago...calorie goal 2600), I was dieting myself and eating low cal (but junky food). It was probably 1100-1900. Before I really started trying to change though (back in early 2012) I was eating probably 4000-5000 a day. Most everything I ate was fast food, take out, or delivery (got to know those guys by name). Growing up in a heavy family, in the south, and not having learned much about cooking or healthy growing up, I know how I got where I am. But since I've been eating cleaner (high volume/low cal) foods, healthier ways of cooking, and spreading my meals out (smaller, but more frequent) I've felt much better.

In fact, I didn't know how much better I felt until this week. I strained my back and haven't been able to go grocery shopping/cooking or basically walk the past few days and been eating what my family cooks/brings (mostly fast food). And I just feel run down and crummy (back pain aside).