Gaining weight/muscle

Options
I'm looking to gain about 10lb. of muscle. I am really struggling. It seems like I can never meet my calorie intake for the day even though I feel like all I do is eat. I have been weight lifting, but seem to not be gaining weight or muscle. I would LOVE some advice. I have started drinking protein drinks as well to try to keep from burning muscle when doing my workouts. Thanks!

Replies

• tracedinair87
    tracedinair87 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You will probably have to eat some calorie dense food (junk food) to meet your goals. I usually eat a mixture of junk food and healthy food to meet my macros.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    No cardio or very minimal.
    Look online for a mass building programs for women.
    Eat calorie dense foods.
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you are but maybe spread your food out more. Instead of eating 3 meals, i spread mine out over 6 or 7. I eat about every 3 hours.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i put on about 10 lbs of muscle. took me about 2 years of intense lifting AND cardio. yes you still need cardio. i was 117 lbs or so, i started a bulk and got to 130 lbs. i was in smaller clothes at that weight, than at 117. i ate about 1800-2000 calories a day. and i pretty much ate what i wanted. my maintenance calories were about 1700. i just ate very little over that, to limit fat gain and optimize muscle gain. and timing is important too of eating. if you eat protein, do it after you work out. i did a research paper for a class once and it was about this stuff. everything i researched of studies on the pubmed said pretty much that. timing, not amount.
  • Leanna781
    Options
    2 years! Wow, shows you how much I know about this...I was hoping by next summer. Thanks so much for the advice!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    It's going to take time, be patient and be consistent.
    Don't go overboard all at once with the calories, gradually ramp them up.

If you're having trouble getting all of your cals in I reccommend
    putting olive oil or coconut oil on/in everything
    peanut butter, almond butter
    (if not concerned with health as much, add things like mayonaise or dressing to everything you eat)

When I was bulking hard I'd make a decent gainer shake every day with :
    1-2 scoops of whey
    1-2 bananas
    Greek Yogurt
    Peanut Butter

Then spice it up with things like fruit, honey, whatever. Get creative. Add coconut oil if you need a quick 200 calories
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Leanna, what is your calorie goal? I am trying to add muscle too, and lifting makes me very hungry. I'm 5'6, weigh 113 lbs and I shoot for 1700 calories but end up eating 1800-2000 every day. Healthy fats like others have mentioned are easy ways to increase your calories. Adding seeds and nuts or avocado to your salads works well too. Making post workout smoothies with frozen fruit, protein powder and either coconut water, coconut or almond milk, is another healthy way to add some extra calories and nutrients. Don't forget healthy carbs.

Be sure and take a good multivitamin, get your magnesium, calcium, and zinc, drink plenty of water, sleep 8-9 hours a night, and minimize your stress as well.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Training makes a difference too. High volume with progressive weights. 16 sets per body part minimum.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Drinking cals is an easy way to get more without being as full as eating
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    Two of the easiest ways to get more cals.

Eat 6 meals a day instead of 3 - include protein and carbs in every meal.
    Drink protein shakes to get added cals. Use milk in your shake for an extra 160 cals.
  • poopsiekitten
    Options
    I also have some difficulty in reaching my protein goal without going over my fat goal of the day, as I am still trying to lose some bodyfat. I try eating around 115 gr of protein per day and 140-150 on exercise days. But most of the time I barely reach 100 before I cross fat levels. I also eat eggs almost every day, which can't be good.

I console myself with the fact that most of the fat is healthy, from almonds, avocado, olive or coconut oil.

Is there such a thing as low fat, low carb protein? I haven't tried powders yet.
  • Charliejl82
    Options
    I also have some difficulty in reaching my protein goal without going over my fat goal of the day, as I am still trying to lose some bodyfat. I try eating around 115 gr of protein per day and 140-150 on exercise days. But most of the time I barely reach 100 before I cross fat levels. I also eat eggs almost every day, which can't be good.

I console myself with the fact that most of the fat is healthy, from almonds, avocado, olive or coconut oil.

Is there such a thing as low fat, low carb protein? I haven't tried powders yet.

I've never met anyone who reaches their protein goal without shakes. They are pretty much essential. Either that or a ton of egg whites -yawn!
  • poopsiekitten
    Options
    I've never met anyone who reaches their protein goal without shakes. They are pretty much essential. Either that or a ton of egg whites -yawn!

It's not impossible :) I managed it a few times. With eating eggs, chicken, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, tuna, quinoa, edamame beans all in one day I got to 120 gr of protein. I also ate fruit, spinach, salad that day and haven't crossed 1500 cals or my carb goal. But by all means, this is a very heavy day for my stomach and I get pretty nauseous, so I don't do it very often.

Most of the days I get to 100 gr of protein but on workout days, reaching 150 grams or more seems really impossible as those are the days when I am not that hungry.

I might consider trying powders, I have been reading about them, but I am the type of person who needs to really investigate before making such an addition to their diet,
  • GymRatGirl13
    GymRatGirl13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options

I don't use protein supplements at all and consume around 200 g of protein a day. I get it easily through chicken breasts, egg whites, tuna, salmon fillets and steak. I am lactose intolerant, so can't get it through dairy, but still don't struggle to meet my macros.
    I also wouldn't say it is necessary to consume "junk food" to meet your calorie requirements. Nuts and nut butters pack a ton of calories into a small portion. Add a handful of nuts to every meal and you shoudl be there. Good luck with your muscle gain! It is a fun process!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

I do. Its not hard at all, especially when bulking.

I have protein powder, but only use it when needed to reach my goals, and rarely eat it.

If you eat a lot of meat and dairy, it is easy to reach protein goals.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options

Yes there is, it's called lean meat. Things like fish, turkey, chicken breast, and even egg whites have high protein, and low fat and carbs. Ignore the person who said protein powders are essential. Egg white muffins are great. You can heat them up and eat them anytime. Lots of recipes out there and you can add anything you like to them.

Protein powders make it easier, but "easier" isn't the same thing as "essential."
  • poopsiekitten
    Options

I don't use protein supplements at all and consume around 200 g of protein a day. I get it easily through chicken breasts, egg whites, tuna, salmon fillets and steak. I am lactose intolerant, so can't get it through dairy, but still don't struggle to meet my macros.
    I also wouldn't say it is necessary to consume "junk food" to meet your calorie requirements. Nuts and nut butters pack a ton of calories into a small portion. Add a handful of nuts to every meal and you shoudl be there. Good luck with your muscle gain! It is a fun process!

I am not very big on meat though, eating both fish and chicken in the same day is a bit unpleasant to me.

How do you prepare your meat? I usually steam or braise my chicken breasts. And don't you get very high cholesterol because of all the meat?

There's a history of diabetes and high cholesterol/vascular disease in my family and this is partly why I started changing my life-style.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    How do you prepare your meat? I usually steam or braise my chicken breasts. And don't you get very high cholesterol because of all the meat?

Dietary cholesterol has little to do with serum cholesterol.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you are but maybe spread your food out more. Instead of eating 3 meals, i spread mine out over 6 or 7. I eat about every 3 hours.

How can you eat 6-7 meals by eating every 3 hours? That would mean having to wake up to eat, unless you don't sleep much.