Gaining weight/muscle

Options
2»

Replies

• GymRatGirl13
    GymRatGirl13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options

I don't use protein supplements at all and consume around 200 g of protein a day. I get it easily through chicken breasts, egg whites, tuna, salmon fillets and steak. I am lactose intolerant, so can't get it through dairy, but still don't struggle to meet my macros.
    I also wouldn't say it is necessary to consume "junk food" to meet your calorie requirements. Nuts and nut butters pack a ton of calories into a small portion. Add a handful of nuts to every meal and you shoudl be there. Good luck with your muscle gain! It is a fun process!

I am not very big on meat though, eating both fish and chicken in the same day is a bit unpleasant to me.

How do you prepare your meat? I usually steam or braise my chicken breasts. And don't you get very high cholesterol because of all the meat?

There's a history of diabetes and high cholesterol/vascular disease in my family and this is partly why I started changing my life-style.

I actually cook a full package of chicken breasts (6-7 breasts) at one time either on my grill, or baked in my oven, at one time. I will either marinate them for a few hours in fat free italian dressing (or red pepper italian dressing...yum) or just spice them up with a Mrs Dash seasoning before throwing them on the grill. I always have chicken on hand and don't cook every day. I will wrap cold chicken in lettuce with some cashews or feta for yummy lettuce wraps, or I eat them plain with a veggie or carb on the side. Easy to pack and easy source of protein. I have lived this way for years and I get my cholesterol checked yearly, and my levels have dropped. I cook egg whites (1 cup) with spinach and peppers and sprinkle with flax seed twice a day as well. I eat tuna fish 4-5 times a week (work days easy to pack as well) and simply mix it with almonds or cashews and spice it up with hot sauce. YUM.
    Also, my significant other is a Type 1 diabetic. We both eat this way and his sugar levels are near perfect...always. Good lucK!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I also have some difficulty in reaching my protein goal without going over my fat goal of the day, as I am still trying to lose some bodyfat. I try eating around 115 gr of protein per day and 140-150 on exercise days. But most of the time I barely reach 100 before I cross fat levels. I also eat eggs almost every day, which can't be good.

I console myself with the fact that most of the fat is healthy, from almonds, avocado, olive or coconut oil.

Is there such a thing as low fat, low carb protein? I haven't tried powders yet.

I've never met anyone who reaches their protein goal without shakes. They are pretty much essential. Either that or a ton of egg whites -yawn!

Really? You need to get out more.

I don't use egg whites and I rarely use protein shakes to meet my protein % yet I manage it. I don't like protein shakes and they make me feel sick
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    You will probably have to eat some calorie dense food (junk food) to meet your goals. I usually eat a mixture of junk food and healthy food to meet my macros.

yupp. thats what i do. i also dont do any cardio really. 9-9
  • Live4theLift
    Options
    Heres what i did for a while to help with my cals

2 cups 2% milk - 240 cals
    2 scoops protein powder - 260 cals
    1/2-1 cup blended oats - 150/half cup 300 for cup

total that up @ 800 cals and it can be thrown together for a quick breakfast that keeps you full for a long time and its healthy carbs/ fats and proteins.

Also a food processor is used to blend the oats to a powder
  • Charliejl82
    Options
    Lol loving the slating I'm getting on here. I didn't say they WERE essential, I said pretty much. And for me they are,it is very difficult (but yes not impossible) for me to hit my macros and stay within my calories without using shakes. But then I'm in quite a calorie deficit at the moment so maybe that's where the confusion is.

I didn't mean to cause offence - this site is for people's opinions correct? I was just giving mine and what I'd experienced. There's no need to be rude telling me to 'get out more' etc. A polite 'this person isn't entirely correct' would of done.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    How accurate and consistent are you with tracking your cals and macros? This is where 99% of weight gain/loss goals fail.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    10 lbs of pure muscle is going to take a LONG time.. Patience
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    ....still trying to lose some bodyfat....

This suggests you aren't eating enough to build muscle. You can't make significant gains while still trying to lose fat. Either eat below TDEE to lose fat or eat above TDEE to gain muscle.

How much are you eating? What is your height, current weight and BF%? To gain muscle you should be aiming to eat around 200 cals above TDEE. And as a woman the most lean muscle you could gain is around 1lb per month, and even then that's under perfect diet and training so be prepared for less than this.

Oops, sorry, thought I was quoting OP.
  • MatthewLewis81
    MatthewLewis81 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Well you're pretty much wrong. Yesterday was the first time in maybe 6 months that I use a shake and that was only because I still had 1400 or so calories to eat at 9pm and didn't want 12oz of chicken kn top of the 3 slices of pizza and 2.5 servings of Coco Pebbles I was eating.

Protein shakes are not essential at all. It's pretty easy to get 150-200g protein in with whole foods, maybe you just need to try harder.
    That's a bit condescending. Could you share some details? You didn't get 200g of protein on pizza and Coco Pebbles (obviously, since you had to supplement that day with a shake). What kind of at least semi-normal diet do you eat to get that kind of protein regularly from food?
  • tdelo7634
    tdelo7634 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense does not have to be junk food. Nuts, and their butters. Almonds, walnuts, most nuts. Weight gainer protein also. I could ever take the 600 calorie serving at my size, but you can adjust.
  • chann0311
    Options
    You will probably have to eat some calorie dense food (junk food) to meet your goals. I usually eat a mixture of junk food and healthy food to meet my macros.

Is there a problem with the trans fat in processed foods?
  • JovanValor
    JovanValor Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Ectomorph much? Secret is in the carbs! Do the math based your unique body. I for example gain lean at 5,000cal with 700Grams Carbs , 200Grams Protein , 117grams Fat. Cardio should be avoided while bulking and train for hypertrophy if your looking for size . Supplements are crucial for high calorie intakes. Do weekly measurements to track the quality weight. The answers are endless since everyone thinks theur right. So do your research learn the basic and apply them accordingly. Be patient and you will acheive your goals :)

Good luck

Fellow Ecto
  • rezn8
    rezn8 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm starting BodyBeast on Monday and just had to up my calories and adjust my ratios to be in line with their recommendations. weighed in at 155lbs and it's telling me 2800 calories @ 50%carbs/25%protein/25%fat for the first 8 weeks.