What have you learned are myths, since joining MyFitnessPal?

Options
Hi all. I find this site and many of its posters to be very informative.

Since joining MyFitnessPal, I've come to learn that a lot of the things I've been taught about nutrition and exercise (Since Elementary School.) have been false.

For me, I would say the two huge items have been "You gain weight if you eat after 6:00," and "Muscle weighs more than fat."

What have you learned since joining MyFitnessPal.

Replies

• nainai0585
    nainai0585 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Just because someone uses big words, doesn't make it true.
  • mtnhiker1
    mtnhiker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    there is not that much difference in calories between chicken, beef and pork if the meat is lean.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight while eating junk food. While there are more nutritious options, a calorie is just a calorie. Really.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Losing weight and being healthy are not the same thing.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well, muscle does weigh more than fat for the same density. Just saying :p

I've learned that eating more often doesn't boost your metabolism, that breakfast isn't necessary (although I actually have breakfast now, never used to), that what you eat doesn't really matter that much, that you can't build muscle on a calorie deficit, and that pretty much everything has more calories than you think.

The funny thing is that I still hear those myths from professionals, like the gym nurse who told me I need to build muscle and to eat small meals more often to boost my metabolism. I just roll my eyes now.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight while eating junk food. While there are more nutritious options, a calorie is just a calorie. Really.

Yes.
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I haven't learned anything from MyFitnessPal itself. There are still very many myths being held up everyday on this site.
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Screw *most of everything people say on the boards ( there are a lot of know it all's in here), do your own research and just "do what works for you"!
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    No eating after 7:00 PM and "you can't eat that."
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
  • PosterGuy1
    PosterGuy1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Feel free to engage and educate, and try to debunk the myth.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Losing weight and being healthy are not the same thing.

This ^^^ could not have said it any better!
  • angryjake
    Options
    Raisins aren't much healthier than a Snickers bar.
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    that everyone is different and there is no cookie cutter method for success, but many people will adamantly try to pigeon hole you into their way or you are seen as doing it "wrong".
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Fat makes you fat.
    You can't lift weights if you have a bad back.
    You can't squat if you have bad knees.
    That I am 'big-boned' (I have a medium frame)
    That skinnier is better.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    everything I used to think I knew about fitness and dieting.

some standouts:

aspartame is going to kill me

all dietary fat is bad (I honestly still struggle to reach my fat macro)

white carbs should not be eaten

sugar makes you gain weight

that I was genetically predisposed to being fat
  • annenhie
    annenhie Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    That eating small frequent meals will boost my metabolism.

That skipping meals will slow down my metabolism.

That breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

That I should eat more when I hit a plateau.

And most importantly, healthy food doesn't mean low calories!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options

Since joining MyFitnessPal, I've come to learn that a lot of the things I've been taught about nutrition and exercise (Since Elementary School.) have been false.

For me, I would say the two huge items have been "You gain weight if you eat after 6:00," and "Muscle weighs more than fat."

Muscle does weigh more than fat when comparing volume vs volume (which is how scientific measuring is done). You don't weigh EQUAL amounts of weights against each other to find weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Screw *most of everything people say on the boards ( there are a lot of know it all's in here), do your own research and just "do what works for you"!
    Some people DON'T know how to research (using pseudoscience and blogs are references) and if doing "what works for them" isn't always correct either.
    There's lots to learn from people on here who are "in the know". You just have to find the right ones who don't just spout a bunch of BS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options

Hmmm. Maybe I haven't learned anything.

I must admit, I still currently held the notion that a given quantity of muscle (mass) weighed more than a given quantity of fat (mass). Is that incorrect?

Now, I'm assuming that you aren't referring to whether a given weight of muscle weighs more than the same weight of fat (e.g. 1lb of muscle weighs more than1lb of fat), right?

I mean no one would think that, correct?