What have you learned are myths, since joining MyFitnessPal?

Options

Replies

• lauranneuk
    lauranneuk Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight while eating junk food. While there are more nutritious options, a calorie is just a calorie. Really.

This.
  • samammay
    Options
    My biggest myth that I believed is that you can out train a bad diet.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I find this site and many of its posters to be very informative.

Since joining MyFitnessPal, I've come to learn that a lot of the things I've been taught about nutrition and exercise (Since Elementary School.) have been false.

For me, I would say the two huge items have been "You gain weight if you eat after 6:00," and "Muscle weighs more than fat."

What have you learned since joining MyFitnessPal.

Hmmm. Maybe I haven't learned anything.

I must admit, I still currently held the notion that a given quantity of muscle (mass) weighed more than a given quantity of fat (mass). Is that incorrect?

Now, I'm assuming that you aren't referring to whether a given weight of muscle weighs more than the same weight of fat (e.g. 1lb of muscle weighs more than1lb of fat), right?

I mean no one would think that, correct?

People like to be pedantic on this topic. When someone says "muscle weighs more than fat", we all know that they really mean "muscle is denser than fat", as you correctly identified, but for some reason, people love to jump on the semantics of this. It does get thrown around a lot when someone is supposedly eating at a deficit as a reason why they aren't losing weight, which is usually not the case (aside from small newbie gains, you can't gain muscle at a deficit).
  • sonofaque86
    sonofaque86 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Don't eat after a certain time....

Eat less to lose weight....I've eaten more than EVER, but it's all been better foods!!!! And added excercise
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    That losing all your weight will get rid of your body image issues.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Dare I mention "starvation mode"?
  • Star_1234
    Star_1234 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    That eating small frequent meals will boost my metabolism.

That skipping meals will slow down my metabolism.

That breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

That I should eat more when I hit a plateau.

And most importantly, healthy food doesn't mean low calories!

So is all the above untrue?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Since I was young, I was told I had bad knees because I'm loose-jointed, so I should be very careful with exercise. I was told to avoid deep knee bends and even had a doctor's note to get out of them.. I skipped a lot of gym classes and always thought I shouldn't (or couldn't) run because I had bad joints.

Bullpoopie. I run and lift weights and do heavy squats and I can't remember the last time I had a problem with my bad joints.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    that soda does not count as water... (compare to eating pack of gummy bears while drinking water)
    that coffee does not count as water... (compare to munching on some coffee beans while drinking water)
  • wassergottin
    wassergottin Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Eating too little will make you fat. *eye roll*
  • Nordichorseman
    Nordichorseman Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day" The sales pitch for peanuts or nuts in general. When on a diet, nuts are one of the most calorie dense items on the shelf! Have some low fat ice cream instead. I ate peanut-butter all the time trying to be "healthy".
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I find this site and many of its posters to be very informative.

Since joining MyFitnessPal, I've come to learn that a lot of the things I've been taught about nutrition and exercise (Since Elementary School.) have been false.

For me, I would say the two huge items have been "You gain weight if you eat after 6:00," and "Muscle weighs more than fat."

What have you learned since joining MyFitnessPal.
    Muscle does weigh more than fat when comparing volume vs volume (which is how scientific measuring is done). You don't weigh EQUAL amounts of weights against each other to find weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

THANK YOU!! I am so tired of hearing this same debate over semantics every day!
  • glenclouser
    glenclouser Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My biggest myth that I believed is that you can out train a bad diet.
    Tell me about it! You can be killing it in the gym and you won't do anything if good you don't match it with a quality nutrition plan.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I've learned (to my shame) that obesity isn't a product of greed or laziness.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day" The sales pitch for peanuts or nuts in general. When on a diet, nuts are one of the most calorie dense items on the shelf! Have some low fat ice cream instead. I ate peanut-butter all the time trying to be "healthy".

but, but, but, half my calories come from fat. Especially nuts!

Which is about the only new thing that I have learned over the past year. That you can have a 50% fat diet and still lose weight!

Oh, and the whole intermittent fasting/ calorie cycling thing, really DOES help break plateaus!
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I've learned (to my shame) that obesity isn't a product of greed or laziness.

You mean not all cases yes? Obviously some are.

For me it's eating carbs later on in the day.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    that I can't lose weight.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    that I can't lose weight.
    Amen to that!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Screw *most of everything people say on the boards ( there are a lot of know it all's in here), do your own research and just "do what works for you"!
    Some people DON'T know how to research (using pseudoscience and blogs are references) and if doing "what works for them" isn't always correct either.
    There's lots to learn from people on here who are "in the know". You just have to find the right ones who don't just spout a bunch of BS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^^this, so much
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Muscle does weigh more than fat when comparing volume vs volume (which is how scientific measuring is done). You don't weigh EQUAL amounts of weights against each other to find weight.

Almost... but it's not the 'weight' you're finding... you weigh equal amounts of weights and measure the volume in order to find the DENSITY of a substance.

Scientific measuring is done in units.... so the unit of time is seconds, the unit of length is metres etc. The unit of weight is mass (multiplied by g)* measured in kg but the unit of DENSITY is mass per volume measured in kg/m3.

Hope that clears it up! *ducks before rotten tomatoes get thrown*

*the acceleration due to gravity ie 10m/s2 approx.

And anyone jumping to correct anyone else on this IS a smarta*se! If they do it in a sarcastic manner they're a MEAN smarta*se. :wink: