Pumpkin all the things!!

Options

Replies

• LyraVega02
    LyraVega02 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this pumpkin bread recipe yet, but I've had it saved since last year.

http://cookieandkate.com/2011/whole-wheat-pumpkin-bread/

I've also been meaning to try this pumpkin quinoa recipe

http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2011/02/pumpkin-pie-quinoa-bake/

Of course, there's always the option of simply adding pumpkin, brown sugar, and spices to your morning oatmeal.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Being from the UK, where pumpkin is only scraped out and scrapped to make a halloween lantern, I have never eaten pumpkin, pie or otherwise!!! Might have to keep the 'brains' of my Pumpkin Head this year??!!

You don't eat that kind of pumpkin... it doesn't come out very well at all. They are tough and stringy. The kind that you cook with are generally called sugar pumpkins:

http://gardening.about.com/od/vegetables/a/Pumpkins_2.htm

Just to save you the grief I've gone through. :D You can, however, rinse off the guts of your carved pumpkin and toast up the seeds with spices and eat them that way. I like mine with cinnamon and brown sugar or chipotle seasoning and garlic salt!
  • notdieting
    notdieting Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Being from the UK, where pumpkin is only scraped out and scrapped to make a halloween lantern, I have never eaten pumpkin, pie or otherwise!!! Might have to keep the 'brains' of my Pumpkin Head this year??!!

I died a little just now. A little piece of me just died. I almost feel like flying to the UK and cooking you a southern style pumpkin pie.

You would be most welcome. I'll lay the table, see you in about 10 hours?? :laugh:

It must sound odd to you guys that someone could never have eaten pumpkin.....hmmm, idea for a thread here....

wow that should be a crime not to eat pumpkin any thing. theres no canned pumpkin at the store? i'm kinda shocked thats all

I don't think there's TINNED pumpkin at the SUPERMARKET :wink: but then I've never thought to look!

Seriously, we buy a pumpkin once a year for halloween and the 'guts' of it are scraped out and thrown in the bin. I have never considered doing anything with them. I really must give it a shot this year. Do you just scrape it out and use the mush?
  • notdieting
    notdieting Posts: 116 Member
    Options

You don't eat that kind of pumpkin... it doesn't come out very well at all. They are tough and stringy. The kind that you cook with are generally called sugar pumpkins:

Just to save you the grief I've gone through. :D You can, however, rinse off the guts of your carved pumpkin and toast up the seeds with spices and eat them that way. I like mine with cinnamon and brown sugar or chipotle seasoning and garlic salt!

Lol! I think we cross posted there......so can we get sugar pumpkin in the UK?
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options

WAIT! You never had pumpkin pie? That must be rectified!

The hardest part is separating the seeds from the meat part. Then if you want, separate the seeds from the stringy part and clean them (kinda tricky to do, but good).

Roast the "meat" covered until it's pretty soft. Eat. Or make things with it!

Toast the seeds (if you try them LOL) - toss with a tad of oil once they dry just a bit - salt. Finish toasting. I eat shell and all. Try with various spice combos.

I could use a trick for separating the seeds from the stringy stuff - any hints? I usually just pitch a bunch because I get fed up with it.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options

I've eaten that kind too - but you are right -t he sugar or pie pumpkins (much smaller) are tastier.
  • aezaidan
    aezaidan Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I feel the same. A couple of years ago I had a pumpkin cheesecake in the States and wish we could get in in the uk!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I'm an American in the UK--yes, there is indeed tinned pumpkin in supermarkets here. I've hoarded about six cans in my pantry! I use it for cooking and baking.

Not sure about the availability of sugar pumpkin here, though.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    This is my latest addiction and it is wonderful!!! Pumpkin Fluff, my version, makes 10 servings at 63 calories per serving.

Pumpkin Fluff

1 can 29 ounces canned pumpkin. Not pie mix, plain pumpkin
    1 - 2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1 - 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
    dash allspice or nutmeg
    1 box, 4 serving sugar free vanilla pudding. Do not mix with milk, add dry.

Mix these ingredients together well, until the spices and pudding mix are well incorporated.

Now add about 3/4 of a 16 ounce tub of cool whip light, fold into the pumpkin mixture well.

Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to set, but it is better the next day. Enjoy pumpkin decedance for a small calorie count and you will see why I am addicted!!
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of pumpkin, but it's great in beer! :-P It's that time of year so my local supermarket is stocking the following:

Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale
    Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat
    Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale

I just had a 6-pack of the Blue Moon last night. So happy!!!!
    A couple of years ago I had a pumpkin cheesecake in the States and wish we could get in in the uk!
    Pumpkin cheesecake sounds awesome right now, but it'll have to wait till my next cheat day :-P
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Might as well bump this since I've already had 5 homemade pumpkin muffins since yesterday...
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    If you're on Pinterest there are TONS of pumpkin EVERYTHING recipes on there. I found a pumpkin cinnamon roll recipe that had protein powder in it that looked REALLY good!
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Anyone got a pumpkin mousse recipe? Preferably a healthy one ;-)
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    i know this ones not healthy but last year they had pumkin ice cream it didn't have a chance against me its so good
  • KabbyGU
    KabbyGU Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin Hummus

1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    1 15oz can pure pumpkin purée
    1 small garlic clove, minced
    ½ tsp salt
    ¼ tsp ground cumin
    Pinch cayenne
    3 Tbsp juice from 1-2 lemons
    ¼ cup water
    6 Tbsp tahini, stirred well
    2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    ONE: Put chickpeas, pumpkin, garlic, salt, cumin, and cayenne in a food processor; process until fully ground. Scrape down sides with a spatula.

TWO: With the machine still running, slowly add the lemon juice and water and continue to process for one minute. Scrape down the sides with a spatula again.

THREE: In small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the tahini and 2 Tbsp oil. With the machine still running, add the oil-tahini mixture in a steady stream through the feed tube. Continue to process until smooth and creamy, scraping down sides as needed. Transfer to a bowl and, if desired, top with some reserved chick peas and drizzle with olive oil.

Freeze using the small portions method. 2 cubes equals one serving. Reheat in the microwave for 30 seconds on full power, stir, and heat another 5-10 seconds. If it seems a little dry, just stir in a tiny bit of olive oil.
  • KabbyGU
    KabbyGU Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin pie baked oatmeal

2 or 3 ripe bananas
    1 Tbsp honey
    2 cups uncooked oatmeal (I used rolled oats)
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 can pumpkin (make sure it's just pureed pumpkin with nothing random added like sweeteners)
    1/2 cup sucanat/honey (can use brown sugar but it won't be "clean")
    2 tsp cinnamon plus extra for sprinkling
    1 tsp nutmeg
    1/4 tsp ginger
    1/4 tsp salt
    2 cups milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
    2 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tsp almond extract
    1/2 cup sliced almonds, divided (I've used chopped pecans too)
    ONE: Spray a 9x13 baking dish lightly with cooking spray. Thinly slice the bananas and spread them over the bottom of the dish. Drizzle with the Tbsp of honey and sprinkle with cinnamon. Place in the oven and preheat to 375. The bananas will soften while the oven heats up.

TWO: Mix the oatmeal with the baking powder and set aside.

THREE: Combine the pumpkin, sucanat, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt, milk, eggs, vanilla, almond extract and 1/4 cup of the almonds in a medium bowl. Mix well.

FOUR: Once the oven is preheated, remove the baking dish. Sprinkle the oatmeal mixture evenly over the warm bananas. Pour the pumpkin mixture evenly over the oats and top with the remaining 1/4 cup of nuts. Bake 30-35 minutes until the top is golden brown and the pumpkin mixture is firm enough that the middle doesn't jiggle if you shake the pan. You might also see the edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan. Cut into 8 or 12 servings (we eat a big breakfast so I always cut ours into 8) and serve warm.

Nutritional info:
    Per serving when made with almond milk and cut into 12 servings- 150 Calories (51 Calories from Fat), 5.5g Fat, 0.8g Saturated Fat, 27mg Cholesterol, 93mg Sodium, 22.5g Total Carbohydrates, 4g Dietary Fiber, 7g Sugars, 4g Protein, 130% DV VitA, 7% DV VitC, 10% DV Calcium, 9% DV Iron
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Cream of Pumpkin Soup

1 container of vegetable stock/broth
    1 can of pure pureed pumpkin
    1 onion, chopped
    3 bay leaves
    a dash or two of pumpkin pie spice
    1/4 cup of half and half

Add the bay leaves, pumpkin pie spice and onions to the broth. Cook until the onions are tender. Add the pumpkin. Remove the bay leaves and puree the soup (I use a stick blender). Add back the bay leaves and simmer. Remove from heat and add half and half.

Sooo yummy and easy!
  • hsmama11
    hsmama11 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    GREAT topic!!! BUMP!!
  • themeIcanbe
    Options
    Donna Hay - Baked pumpkin and sage risotto.
    Recipe serves 6 plus...not the 4 stated.
    I used less pumpkin and added 4 bacon rashers = 400 cals per serve with the bacon
    :smile: