Never eaten pumpkin pie. You???

Options
I just commented on the recipe thread that, being from the UK, where pumpkin pie is rarely seen, I have never tried it. In fact I have never eaten any form of pumpkin. This must sound odd to the average all-American.

I have also noticed so many food items in the 'add food' lists that I have never heard of, never mind eaten....so it made we wonder, are there any types of foods common to other countries that you have never tried?

Ever had a yorkshire pudding? Toad in the hole? Eton mess?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've had Yorkshire pudding... I think, lol. Quite sure there's a lot of UK foods I've never had, I've only been there a few times really.
  • notdieting
    notdieting Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've been to the States twice.....

I honeymooned in New York and fell in love with cream cheese and grape jelly bagels. I was 24 years old and had never tried any of those three food items. I was addicted and had them for breakfast every morning!

Then we took our children to Florida five years later and I fell in love with Mountain Dew (aaaaagggghhh!!!) and out of love with Mickey bloody Mouse! :laugh:
  • knelson1111
    Options
    I'm from the US and only been to the UK once. I have not only had, but made, Yorkshire pudding and Eton mess. I haven't had Toad in the hole. I googled it and it looks good. I do like pumpkin pie but usually only have it in November for Thanksgiving.

Karen
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    You're missing out if you haven't had pumpkin pie. Never heard of Toad in the hole or Eton mess.... Sounds less than appetizing.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    sad-cat-diary.jpg
  • notdieting
    Options
    Toad in the hole is sausages cooked in batter pudding....tasty but calorific. Eton Mess is OMG on the calories too.....basically it's whipped double cream mixed with meringue pieces and strawberries....a dessert traditionally served at the annual cricket game at Eton college against Harrow college(both very expensive private schools in the UK) hence the name.

Both extremely appetizing but bad for your butt!
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I've had something my family called toad in the hole but it was bread, buttered on both sides, with a hole cut in the middle, in which you would break an egg and then fry them together.

Eton mess sound delicious!

And I've had Yorkshire pudding and love it!

I've also had 'rag pudding' which was yummy, too.

And I don't love pumpkin pie. It's okay, but I can live without it.
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    Toad in the hole is sausages cooked in batter pudding....tasty but calorific. Eton Mess is OMG on the calories too.....basically it's whipped double cream mixed with meringue pieces and strawberries....a dessert traditionally served at the annual cricket game at Eton college against Harrow college(both very expensive private schools in the UK) hence the name.

So Eton mess is strawberry shortcake with meringue instead of shortcake? IN!
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Never had an Eton Mess - but it sounds very similar to things I have had. Sounds most like a Strawberry Fool.

Toad in the hole makes me think of our "pigs in blankets" - which is just hot dogs or sausages wrapped in crescent rolls or biscuit dough with their ends sticking out. It looks like a toad in the hole uses gravy ? Pigs are usually eaten with ketchup, BBQ or mustard for dipping.

I would totally eat toad in the hole though! I think anything with sausages (and gravy if that's the tradition) is delish!
  • boystennismom
    boystennismom Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Love Eton Mess but have never tried Spotted **** or Guiness :)
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Also chipping in from the UK & a pumpkin pie virgin. It's the smell that puts me off when I carve one out for the kid at Halloween. :sick:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I can honestly totally live without pumpkin pie too. Pecan pie though... now that's delicious.
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    I can honestly totally live without pumpkin pie too. Pecan pie though... now that's delicious.
    Or better yet, Derby pie! Chocolate, bourbon and pecan! Heaven!
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Also chipping in from the UK & a pumpkin pie virgin. It's the smell that puts me off when I carve one out for the kid at Halloween. :sick:

LOL! I can understand that because they are just another squash, really, but with the spices used, and of course there's sugar in it, it's very YUM! I have to stay away from the stores when they come out (I don't bake) as I can't just cut myself a small slice. It makes good soup too, just like lots of other squashes do.
  • lsigall
    lsigall Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've had Yorkshire pudding and Eton Mess, but never the UK version of toad in a hole. In the US, toad in a hole is an egg cooked in a hole cut out in a slice of bread, which I've had.

I used to spend a fair amount of time in London and finally tried brown sugar in coffee. As an American, that seemed so weird to me, but after seeing enough of my UK colleagues drinking it, I broke down and tried it. Really delicious!

IMO, pumpkin anything is delicious! Just had a pumpkin spice flax granola bar earlier, and it was yummy. Although not as good as pumpkin pie with whipped cream, of course.
  • notdieting
    Options
    Never had an Eton Mess - but it sounds very similar to things I have had. Sounds most like a Strawberry Fool.

Toad in the hole makes me think of our "pigs in blankets" - which is just hot dogs or sausages wrapped in crescent rolls or biscuit dough with their ends sticking out. It looks like a toad in the hole uses gravy ? Pigs are usually eaten with ketchup, BBQ or mustard for dipping.

I would totally eat toad in the hole though! I think anything with sausages (and gravy if that's the tradition) is delish!

Strawberry Fool in the UK is a strawberry flavoured mousse.

Pigs in blankets over here are cocktail sausages wrapped in bacon and roasted, usually eaten with a roast dinner, especially Christmas dinner.

And yes, toad in the hole is traditionally served with gravy. It is also sometimes jokingly called 'frog in the bog'....this probably refers to a bog, meaning a wet, peaty area, somewhere you may well find a frog but as a child, I couldn't help but giggle as bog is also a slang term for the lavatory! :laugh:
  • tinyzombie
    tinyzombie Posts: 128 Member
    Options

From the US here, and I've never had either of these but they both sound delicious!

As far as pumpkin pie goes... let's just say, were I on death row, it would definitely be included in my "final meal" request!
  • Jleonra
    Options
    Never eaten it either, is this a thanksgiving thing for americans? I went to Chicago a couple of months ago and didn't see any.

I'm mexican, have you guys ever eaten any mexican food? :wink:
  • notdieting
    Options

So Eton mess is strawberry shortcake with meringue instead of shortcake? IN!

I think strawberry shortcake is more 'organised' whereas Eton Mess is...well, a mess! All the ingredients are mixed up into a gloopy pile and sort of 'slopped' onto a sundae bowl.
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    Never eaten it either, is this a thanksgiving thing for americans? I went to Chicago a couple of months ago and didn't see any.

I'm mexican, have you guys ever eaten any mexican food? :wink:
    Canadian here, but I love Mexican food SO much. Now I've gone from thinking about Derby pie to thinking about Mexican Fried Ice Cream. This is not going to end well. :laugh: