Never eaten pumpkin pie. You???

Options

Replies

• notdieting
    notdieting Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Love Eton Mess but have never tried Spotted **** or Guiness :)

OMG...Spotted ****, you have missed a real treat there.....a scrummy suet pudding with dried fruit, usually currants or raisins, sometimes plums......served with hot custard....mmmmmm

( I love that MFP asterisked the d i c k....it is a contraction of the word 'pudding, in olde English, nothing rude :wink: )

Guiness....yuk!.... but my hubby loves it!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Toad in the hole is sausages cooked in batter pudding....tasty but calorific. Eton Mess is OMG on the calories too.....basically it's whipped double cream mixed with meringue pieces and strawberries....a dessert traditionally served at the annual cricket game at Eton college against Harrow college(both very expensive private schools in the UK) hence the name.

Both extremely appetizing but bad for your butt!
    So Eton mess is strawberry shortcake with meringue instead of shortcake? IN!

I think strawberry shortcake is more 'organised' whereas Eton Mess is...well, a mess! All the ingredients are mixed up into a gloopy pile and sort of 'slopped' onto a sundae bowl.
    Still IN. :laugh:
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    OP: I've never tried any of those foods.
    I'm mexican, have you guys ever eaten any mexican food? :wink:
    I'm now working in Little Village (Chicago's hispanic neighborhood) and OMG...I never knew burritos, enchiladas and tostadas were that good. I still have to try carnitas, tacos, fruits with chile, etc. One day a time! :laugh:
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I just commented on the recipe thread that, being from the UK, where pumpkin pie is rarely seen, I have never tried it. In fact I have never eaten any form of pumpkin. This must sound odd to the average all-American.

I have also noticed so many food items in the 'add food' lists that I have never heard of, never mind eaten....so it made we wonder, are there any types of foods common to other countries that you have never tried?

Ever had a yorkshire pudding? Toad in the hole? Eton mess?

You ever had Shapinsay mess?????

Eton mess Orkney style! With whiskey. Mmmmmm.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options
    You're missing out if you haven't had pumpkin pie. Never heard of Toad in the hole or Eton mess.... Sounds less than appetizing.

hahaha!

Toad in the hole = sausages baked in Yorkshire pudding batter - yum!!!

Eton mess = meringue all broken up and stirred into whipped cream with loads of strawberries.
  • Cindyinpg
    Options

OMG...Spotted ****, you have missed a real treat there.....a scrummy suet pudding with dried fruit, usually currants or raisins, sometimes plums......served with hot custard....mmmmmm

( I love that MFP asterisked the d i c k....it is a contraction of the word 'pudding, in olde English, nothing rude :wink: )

Spotted **** is a pudding?
    Edit: Oh, and looks like MFP automatically asterisks it. Too funny.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Is eton mess similar to trifle? We have a scottish restaurant I go to sometimes, so I've had a lot of that stuff. Also, been to england, so eaten stuff there.

Pumpkin pie is good. You should try it.

We have a lot of regional food here too, like turtle soup and alligator. Or crawfish poboys. Find that stuff in the south, like new orleans.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options
    Never had an Eton Mess - but it sounds very similar to things I have had. Sounds most like a Strawberry Fool.

Toad in the hole makes me think of our "pigs in blankets" - which is just hot dogs or sausages wrapped in crescent rolls or biscuit dough with their ends sticking out. It looks like a toad in the hole uses gravy ? Pigs are usually eaten with ketchup, BBQ or mustard for dipping.

I would totally eat toad in the hole though! I think anything with sausages (and gravy if that's the tradition) is delish!

Well, you would pour gravy over it, yes
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options
    Is eton mess similar to trifle? We have a scottish restaurant I go to sometimes, so I've had a lot of that stuff. Also, been to england, so eaten stuff there.

Pumpkin pie is good. You should try it.

We have a lot of regional food here too, like turtle soup and alligator. Or crawfish poboys. Find that stuff in the south, like new orleans.

no, trifle is totally different! sponge fingers, Jelly (jello?), sometimes fruit, custard, topped with cream, - layered.

ETA oh - and of course, alcohol! Usually sherry. http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/desserts/trifle/traditional-trifle.html
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Never had any of the three, but I think from the yummy sound of them, it is a very good thing!!!
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    This thread is making me hungry. In Canada we get a lot of British food. I have never understood why you can't serve Yorkshire Pudding with absolutely everything. Fried dough. Yum.

I don't love pumpkin pie, but sweet potato pie is a whole different thing, and absolutely delicious.

Our Mexican runs to the Tex-Mex up here, although there is a place near me that makes a wicked goat soup.

What about Canadian food? Anyone ever try tourtierre? Poutine?
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options

Spotted **** is a pudding?
    Edit: Oh, and looks like MFP automatically asterisks it. Too funny.

you can call it Spotted Richard! People would get it.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options
    I used to spend a fair amount of time in London and finally tried brown sugar in coffee. As an American, that seemed so weird to me, but after seeing enough of my UK colleagues drinking it, I broke down and tried it. Really delicious!

yuk! I hate brown sugar in coffee - I always have to send it back and ask for white instead of brown in cafés! They atomatically give you brown, I don't know why that is!
  • Jleonra
    Options
    OP: I've never tried any of those foods.
    I'm mexican, have you guys ever eaten any mexican food? :wink:
    I'm now working in Little Village (Chicago's hispanic neighborhood) and OMG...I never knew burritos, enchiladas and tostadas were that good. I still have to try carnitas, tacos, fruits with chile, etc. One day a time! :laugh:

Carnitas...

tumblr_inline_mlu2joXCHA1qz4rgp.gif
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Yea, this thread is making me hungry too. You suck. :grumble:

:wink:
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I was born in the us there are many stuff i have not tried i barely tried pumpkin pie about 3 years ago! Coming from a latin background i think many people have not ate desserts i have ate growing up either.
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    This thread is making me hungry. In Canada we get a lot of British food. I have never understood why you can't serve Yorkshire Pudding with absolutely everything. Fried dough. Yum.

I don't love pumpkin pie, but sweet potato pie is a whole different thing, and absolutely delicious.

Our Mexican runs to the Tex-Mex up here, although there is a place near me that makes a wicked goat soup.

What about Canadian food? Anyone ever try tourtierre? Poutine?
    Don't forget Beaver tails...
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    my only problem with pumpkin pie is that it's hard to buy during the non-fall seasons.
  • Jleonra
    Options

Don't forget Beaver tails...

I've eaten beaver befo... oh wait nvm

I'll show myself out
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options
    Here it is (wonder if MFP will asterisk the URL????)
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2686661/spotted-****

And here's toad in the hole:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/toadinthehole_83871

We usually make something with the pumpkin - but we only have one a year, at Hallowe'en. I found a recipe years ago, a stew made with pumpkin, other veg, pasta, and crème fraîche and dill weed. I made a pumpkin pie once, it was yummy!

Next stop, Christmas (oh no, you folks have Thanksgiving first don't you?) Do you have mince pies and Christmas pudding? We have pigs in blankets which are little cocktail sausages wrapped in bacon with our turkey. Probably a trifle and of course, Christmas cake! I'll be making mine soon to stow away and feed it alcohol between now and Christmas.