What did you do with your old clothes?

Options

Replies

• thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I've donated the bulk of my clothes, but I have kept a pair of jeans I call my "fat" pants. They're tucked away in the bottom of a drawer of pajamas, but I keep to remind myself of where I was and how far I've come.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    We have march of dimes boxes on just about every corner. They take any baby clothes, women's clothes, toys, shoes, house hold items, whatever. I don't just about everything to the march of dimes bins.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    Meant to quote first (see below).
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    Every Spring & Fall I go through both of my closets and thin them. Not just for size, but style and wear.... Anything worth donating, I donate to a women's shelter that gives them to women interviewing and re-entering to the work force. I don't want anyone to have to pay for them... and as a survivor, it's my little way of giving back.

Thank you, that is a great idea!!
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I gave all of the really big stuff to a friend who could use the work clothes and was my old size. The rest went to a local charity resale. I've always had a rule that every time I buy something new I have to get rid of something else. That way I don't run out of drawer or closet space. I also don't plan on going back to where I started - I "lived" there 30 years and am tired of the view! I just wish I had saved my 22W jeans. I just bought my first size 10 jeans :)
  • ravengal44646
    ravengal44646 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I get rid of mine as soon as they become too big. I'm three sizes down, and most of my old plus-sized clothing became too ill-fitting to wear attractively.
  • LeahT84
    LeahT84 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I donated them to local pantries that give the clothes away to people in need. I don't want them going to trash, and I don't want someone to have to pay for them. I know what it's like to be down and out and in need of things beyond my reach, so I want to give to those that are in that place. Most of the clothes in my closet now have been donated to me by people who couldn't use them anymore, so I want to do the same for others.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Donated the lot. A few items I kept to show myself how much I lost, some others were kept as 'fat day' clothing & the
    rest went to the local op-shop
  • spearfox
    spearfox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Donated to a local thrift store that I have friendly connections with.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    The clothes I liked I took in - four whole sizes. They look terrific and I got good at tailoring.

The ones I wasn't attached to I gave to Goodwill.
  • tonytedesco
    tonytedesco Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Coincidentally my building's green committee just had a clothing drive! So I gave... a lot this time!
  • CaliforniaBarbie
    CaliforniaBarbie Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    sense all my clothes were in great condition still, i sold them for store credit to platos closet, the consignment shop.
  • CaliforniaBarbie
    CaliforniaBarbie Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    sense all my clothes were in great condition still, i sold them for store credit to platos closet, the consignment shop.
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I love my big sized clothes... wait, did I say? ehh. those rags are trashed or donated. I never want to see them again!
  • abickford82
    Options
    Gave them away to those in need. I did keep 1 pair of pants though for those after photos.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    This was an easy decision after I lost 50 pounds while out of the country. I was away from my "fat" clothes, and when I returned, I was several sizes smaller. It was easy to get rid of all of that since I knew I wouldn't go back to that size. (I lived in a small town, and ended up selling them directly to someone via a posting at the grocery store. She got everything really cheap, and I made a bit of money.)

Just recently, I decided to push for additional loss. So far, I've dropped 1-2 sizes, and it's harder to decide to get rid of the roomy stuff because it's not such a drastic difference and I'm almost to my original goal weight. I've decided to adjust my goal weight down 11-13 pounds, so maybe once I'm there, I'll feel better about getting rid of stuff because it will be even bigger on me.
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I donate them! :)
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I donated most of mine, but kept a few pairs of pants, some under-clothes, and some shirts, because my husband and I are planning to start trying for a baby at the start of the year. These will be my maternity clothes.
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I've taken some clothes to the local re-run store. There's this one shirt that I really like though, so I'm going to turn it into a bag. You could also make a quilt out of the fabric of your old clothes if they are items you really like because of the pattern. Just cut and sew!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    So far, I've sold the majority of them in "lots" via Craigslist. I don't have a lot of spare time to mess about with it, so I'll list them ridiculously cheap (IMO) like 8 nice tops, 3 sweaters and a dress for $20 or 5 pairs of jeans for $10. They always sell super quickly.

I had a particularly large amount of shorts, capris, and jeans in sizes 20-22 around July 4th and wound up having a garage sale at the same time so I went on a local plus size facebook clothing swap page and posted a simple advert for people to come to my garage sale. I made about $200 off of my old clothes that day and it was pretty cool because I had higher prices than usual...like a nice, worn-twice Lane Bryant work appropriate top got me $10 when I only paid around $12-14 for it in the first place.

The only other time I've been down drastically in weight, I gave all of my too big clothing to a friend who was pregnant. She was a much thinner woman than me but also big due to being 5'11 and big boned, so it really worked well for her during the last half of her pregnancy. Especially things like sweaters and nightgowns.