What did you do with your old clothes?

Replies

• well before I started on here I'd already lost half the weight I need to lose, (I Just started on here to compliment my endomondo exercise tracking, now that I've gotten past the diet alone and am into the diet and exercise stretch, I've lost 100 and have 100 to go)

So here's what I did with my Size 28/30-ish stuff

Altered what could be altered, then with the exception of the jeans, I had a clothes swap, a bunch of friends and me got together with our various piles of stuff that didn't fit and we swapped around. Everything that was left over went to goodwill.

Jeans I will keep a pair of larger/looser intact, just in case (a tight shirt can be dealt with but if your pants are too tight you can't move. and a cheap shirt that fits is way easier to find than a cheap pair of jeans that fit)

The rest of the jeans I cut up for the studio (I'm an artist) Denim makes excellent paint rags, and the back pockets make instant pen and pencil "cups" with the addition of a wall and a couple of thumb tacks. the watch pockets make a great way to keep conté crayons from getting dust all over everything else in my pencil boxes, and I can usually get about five or six painting rags out of the legs.

So jeans get turned into art supplies lol.
  • phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    :flowerforyou: I sold my clothes at a yard sale & made over $500.00 from it! I put the sizes for sale in the paper and I was bombarded with heavy people! I sold size 3x to size large! I kept my mediums just in case down the road I might gain some but got rid of the really large clothes because I don't plan on ever going back!
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    I give all my clothes to charity (or sometimes to friends). Unless it's an absolute favorite article of clothing that I can't bear to part with, I'd rather someone else be using it. Also, my closet is overflowing with clothes I actually wear...
  • kcatlin9
    kcatlin9 Posts: 321 Member
    I sold my clothes at a consignment shop for in store credit towards new clothes. That way, I'm not without clothes and I'm not spending a fortune on new clothes.

Bingo. Whole new wardrobe without breaking the bank.

Anything consignment didn't take went to Goodwill.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    I give them to a couple of friends to see if they would like anything.
    Which they always do. :) anything they don't want goes to charity.
    My smallest friend alters things by sewing to fit her.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    I own a sewing machine.
    [/quote]

The down side of having several sewing machines is that the more you trim the fabrics you, well I end up with loads of off cuts.

What do you do with the off cuts and the threadbare fabrics???

help
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    I did different things with my old clothes:

1. Gave some away to the goodwill (only when I could bring in old clothes and get 30% off coupons for towards my next purchase).

2. Threw away some out that were worn out.

3. Sold some of the nicer things online.

4. Got some items altered. I had a lot of stretchable tops and leggings that still fit okay, but were extremely baggy in my waist and sometime in my hip area. I went to my tailor to try on the items, she pinned the items to fit the way I wanted and they turned out good as new, just with less fabric!

5. I kept some. Not because I'm afraid of gaining but to keep for motivation. I had some clothes that I loved but I was uncomfortable in because they were too tight or didn't fit me right. Just yesterday I slid in a pair of old jeans without unbuttoning and unzipping them. 2 years ago I could barely zip them up let alone sit in them. To know I could fit another half of me in them now gives me tons of motivation to keep going!

Also my feet shrunk 1.5 sizes and went from wide to normal so I had to choice but to replace the majority of my shoes, flip-flops and boots.
  • ryanropers
    ryanropers Posts: 2 Member
    I had to have all my pants taken in, even had to buy some new. All my old stuff actually fits or is too baggy now. Which means more shopping for me. Had to buy a leather punch to add holes to all my belts too.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Goodwill.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Mixture of donating to charity shops, and taking them in. Some stuff I'm glad to see the back of - far too much in my wardrobe that was there because it would go on/do up rather than because I liked it or it suited me.

Some stuff I don't want to part with though!

Very keen to talk to people who know what they're doing with a sewing machine BTW so send me a friend request if you like :smile:
  • I donated them. There are women's shelters and organizations that provide clothing to women who are getting back on their feet after divorce or the death of her husband, and my husband put me in contact with them to be able to make the donations.

I also donated to Purple Heart.

My husband donated his old clothing to Purple Heart and to the charity drive at the local fire department, which was collecting clothing and household goods for a family in the area.
  • I've been putting my old clothes in the recycling box for collection alongside my household waste. By keeping the old stuff, I was in danger of going back to old habits knowing I had larger clothes to wear. Being able to buy more fashionable clothes that fit better has been a great incentive!
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    I held on to them for a bit, but after a couple of months they all went to charity.
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    I have given away almost all of my clothes to friends. I have started gathering a few new ones that are starting to get to big for me.
    I have gone from a 5x-2x. The 2x is now baggy. So I see a 1x or a large in my near future. (-:
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Congratulations to all of you for losing all that weight and being able to donate, sell or give away your clothes. I have a huge amount of clothes I am trying to decide with to do with. Many are in good shape and current style so I just might try selling the blazers jackets and trousers on Craigs list and giving the rest to charity. Thanks for the tips.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Donate or toss depending on condition - do not keep any "just in case". To me, that is like planning to gain it back. I want to make it a difficult obvious problem if I start gaining again.
  • I gave them all to Goodwill.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    I gave some to friends, others to Goodwill and some to consignment! Couldn't get rid of them fast enough, though it took me awhile at first to let them all go.
  • When I lost 30lbs a few years ago, I gave some of my clothes to my friends who needed them. The others I anonymously donated to students I had in school who needed them. I wish I would have thought of a consignment store!

I would not donate them to Goodwill- that place is a sweatshop with a billionaire owner.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-hrabe/the-worst-corporation-in-_b_1876905.html

The Salvation Army is a marvelous and truly philanthropic store. Another great place is Clothes Closets, which are like food pantries. And there are programs to help professionally dress under-priveldged women and men returning to the workforce. I would check your local women's shelter or community college.

As for keeping them in-case, no way. Get rid of ALL of them. Having a "Get-out-of-jail-free-card" is never a good plan. Check out folks (like me) who are back to losing weight because they had those comfy one size bigger yoga pants. Then three years later they are 50 lbs over-weight and cranky at themselves. (By "they" I mean "me")

You did it! Congratulations! Now buy yourself clothes that fit and are gorgeous and don't look back!
    peace.
  • I gave some to friends, donated the rest. I decided to get rid of my clothes as I go along and lose, and they become too big, because there is no going back!