Junk food at the grocery store!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Just look at all the obese people shopping. Look in their carts. Look at the few thin people shopping. Look in their carts.

I do that all the time. It is sad to see all the junk overweight moms are buying for their overweight kids in tow. Just killing themsleves with fake junk food. It is like that is their happiness..they've lost perspective.

So.. look in the carts of fellow shoppers. That will keep you from missing the old life.

I used to do that hoping to get some insight into what foods thin people eat to stay thin. It was a no go cuz the thin people had just as much junk in their carts as the obese people. I have no idea what store you are going to, but consider yourself lucky cuz the thin people around here are no help whatsoever.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    One person hit the nail on the head for me, I guess its more the guilt free non-stop eating habits that I used to have that I miss more than the actual junk food itself. I still have junk food now and then in small portions, but I guess somehow in the past I ended up turning to food out of boredom or stress and was just mindlessly eating in front of the TV. I think that was the hardest habit for me to break. Exercising has always been kind of fun for me, but eating healthy and not eating junk in front of the TV was always a battle.

Looks like some people avoid it completely while others still eat it as long as they dont get carried away. I guess whatever works best for you is what counts.
  • uklizzie
    uklizzie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yup, I love chocolate and biscuits, cake and junk in general! It is hard but there are low calorie treats as well. That's what I buy! Don't know what u have in usa but we have caramel wafer bars that are 99 calories and others things similar... Or is it best just not to have any of it?
  • cdahl383
    Options
    I think moderation is probably the most realistic approach. If you go too gung-ho on something most people generally tend to burn out and then slip back into their old habits, at least from what I've seen. I think if you completely deny yourself it's going to come back at you sooner or later. It's not like having some chips or pop once in a while is going to make you gain 100 lbs or something, but it's the habit that starts that generally does the damage. Like just having a few chips, then a few more, then a bigger portion next week, then a pizza and a few beers, and after a few months you've gone right back to your old habits. So the key is keeping it moderate and realizing when you're starting to slack and catch it right away, at least for me anyway.

They have low calorie snack options like that here as well. What I've been doing lately is using little sandwich bags and weighing out portion sizes with a digital food scale so that I know exactly how much I'm eating. Otherwise my portion sizes tend to creep up over time.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Just look at all the obese people shopping. Look in their carts. Look at the few thin people shopping. Look in their carts.

I do that all the time. It is sad to see all the junk overweight moms are buying for their overweight kids in tow. Just killing themsleves with fake junk food. It is like that is their happiness..they've lost perspective.

So.. look in the carts of fellow shoppers. That will keep you from missing the old life.

lol I read about a guy who would look at the carts of obese people who drive around in those motorized chairs: anything they had in their cart, he wouldn't eat. :)
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options

lol I read about a guy who would look at the carts of obese people who drive around in those motorized chairs: anything they had in their cart, he wouldn't eat. :)

wow this is bad, they can't even push their shopping carts anymore, the need someone to push them
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwEGSe_upuQ
  • cdahl383
    Options
    I agree, outside of someone who has a medical problem that accounts for the extra weight, it is pretty sad to see people on those little carts tossing in bags of Doritos, cookies and cakes and other junk foods. I try to buy more stuff from the produce section instead of the junk food aisle, but I still allow myself some stuff now and then.

I was in line at Meijer yesterday and this lady and her husband were behind us at the register. She kept complaining about her feet..."no matter what kind of shoes I wear, my feet are always killing me!". I felt like saying, well it could be that extra 50 lbs you're carrying around and all that crap you eat in your cart. But I refrained. :)

I actually had a little birthday cake and ice cream today at my grandma's birthday party, but I had a smaller dinner to account for it as well. The old me would have had a couple giant pieces and extra ice cream as well as tons of bread and chips, so it was an improvement for sure haha!