Planning a 'bad' weekend

Options
Has anyone had experience planning a bad weekend? I dont mean intentionally being anti-diet, but planning on not logging, not caring and not restraining?

Next weekend my wife and I are getting away from the kids and work for 3 days in Savannah, with no responsibilities (other than my tee time), no budget and no plan for dietary restraint.

Does everyone take a 'hall pass' from time to time?

Replies

• astange83
    Options
    I planned to do that back in August when I was on vacation, failed at it, couldn't break my calorie analyzing habit, and even my cheats had to fit into my daily goal or I wouldn't do it! Everyone is different though. Sometimes eating a little bad can change up your metabolism to get you to lose more, but be careful not think ooh I can eat a pint of Ben & Jerrys and lose weight! LOL
  • seabee78
    seabee78 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Personally, no. If I'm "bad" and eat poorly for a meal or even a day I log it all so I can see my weak moments. Not logging doesn't make the extra calories disappear from your midsection.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I don't log at all anymore, but when I did, I would have the occasional weekend where I'd take a break from it - sometimes knowing I'd be doing lots of indulging, sometimes knowing I wouldn't.

This was helpful for me because I'd get too bogged down in numbers. That's the main reason I stopped logging all together. I need to eat like a normal person, without scrutinising everything I'm putting in my mouth. Not everyone can be successful using that strategy, but it's worked really well for me. That's the best advice I can give anyone who is setting out to lose weight - Do what works for you, that you can sustain. If taking a break from it is going to keep you on track in the long run, by all means, do it!
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I didnt "plan" a bad weekend but over my birthday week celebration I had some days in there where I just ate what I wanted. The "splurge" meals were tracked as best I could and it was eye-opening for sure in the number of calories I consumed. I enjoyed the time with friends and got back on track. It felt like a small NSV for me to get back on track immediately. Sounds like fun family time. Enjoy it!! But we expect you back on track immediately!! LOL!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I've found that even if I want to have a cheat meal now it's not as tempting or as tasty as it used to be. My stomach has gotten used to smaller meals, less greasy garbage and fewer sweets so if I do indulge too much I feel like crap. Sometimes now the mind is willing but the body just isn't able. I've also found out that I can have a good time and enjoy myself without stuffing my face with all kinds of food.
  • shadowfeet33
    shadowfeet33 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    For me, yes every once in a while I am not going to track what I eat. I really don't see myself inquiring of each family member what ingredients they added to their Christmas dish so that I can properly log it. Whatever the occasion is, I just make an entry with 1 quick add of what I think my calories were for that day (usually a lot!). That way you can go back later if needed and see how it impacted things. I agree with the person a couple above me that getting back on track immediately is a NSV, because that can be a struggle sometimes.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I track it all - even if I have high calorie weekend. That is how I know where I am at in the process and if I stall or have a day or two of higher numbers on the scale, I know what I did to get there. I don't beat myself up over it, I just want to know so that when I am done with the 'weight loss' part and am doing maintenance, I will have a good solid idea of what a few days of 'not caring' might look like.
  • anna_toffee
    anna_toffee Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i don't have whole weekends, but whilst i lived at home (i'm a uni student) my parents would often have days where no-one could be bothered, at all, so we'd have takeaway. or there'd be days where i visited my grandmother and got fed to the brim! i would still log it, but by no means would i treat it as a "bad" day (that reminds me way too much of disordered eating). it'd be a metabolism boost day because i'd always have lost weight the day after!
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do this once in a while. I guess how successful it is would be determined if you are still trying to lose or in maintenance. If you are still trying to lose, you have to realize that you may go up a few pounds, and it may take a few weeks to get back to your "pre" weekend weight. It may or may not be worth it to you, you have to decide.

I know there are those that will say you can not gain a few pounds over the weekend, but I have gone up as much as 5lbs when I went on a long weekend vaca. It was worth it to me, as I am in maintenance and within a couple of weeks I was back at my goal weight.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Yes! Just had a late birthday weekend. Indian feast, beer, crumpets, hot chocolate, apple and blackberry crumble with real custard all featured, not logged.

They don't happen often and my diet works better, is more sustainable if it doesn't wreck my quality of life. My loss may be slow but it is consistent and, as a recent month off clearly showed, stands a good chance of being permanent because of that!

So have fun, just don't look for opportunities to pig out. Give your tastebuds at least one treat :)
  • garciabnm
    Options
    i recently went om a trip to Denver. I logged nothing for 3 days. I had been working out and really eating healthy all summer knowing this weekend getaway way coming up. I didnt want to feel like i was chained to anything. So i went and really had a great time. And you know what? Sure i gained some weight, 3 whole lbs, that were gone by the following weekend.But if you're like some people that feel they need to comply to all the rules , by all means, log. I just know i enjoyed myself, guilt free. After all it is a vacation. And how often to you really get one of those. I just feel sometimes in life you need to get away, not just from work and home, but well you know...have fun is all im saying.
  • amusecruise
    Options
    I find that if I have a bad eating weekend I start getting more cravings again. However, life is all about balance. It is important to be a healthy weight, but it is also important to enjoy life. I am reading a book where she says allow yourself to have 25% more calories than you normally would on special occasions and when you go out for dinner (as long as this doesn't happen too much). This has helped me a lot.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    The thing is, you really don't have to, IMO. You can enjoy good food without it necessarily being 1500 calorie meals. The thing is, it's a lifestyle change, so yeah, if you really want something, have some, but try not to splurge at every meal for 3 days... The temptations will be everywhere, home or not.

I didn't log anything when I went to Disney but I still watched what I ate... at least for 2/3 of the meals or something. I'd have a good tasty breakfast but eat a healthy lunch and dinner, for example.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I always log in. However...given a weekend away from the kids and a weekend with my spouse I would exercise like crazy before and after. When I have a heavy calorie day I go light the days before and the days after.

Most motels have exercise rooms...?
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    I just had one this weekend. I went to bowling and had beer, then baked sale goods, then pizza and pasta. Then the next day I ran a race and after the race had beer, skyline, bagels, nachos, then went to Oktoberfest and had more beer, metts, geotta balls, a cream puff, and a potato pancake. Decided not to log it because it would just take way too long and just start over today.
  • binor
    binor Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I recently moved to Savannah. The good news is it is a city where you walk. Walk everywhere and enjoy the sites. This way you get exercise and can enjoy all the amazing foods here. How often do you get a vacation without the kids. I saw enjoy and start over when you get back.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I still log even when on vacation so I have at least some kind of clue as to what I am eating and my deficit/macros look like....

I am not a fan of blow out weekends just because i am on vacation, long weekend, etc....so I would say try and log what you are eating and try to stay reasonable healthy, but at the same time enjoy some nice dinners out and have some dessert...that would be my advice...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I log in everything every day, no exceptions. Yesterday, I had a higher calorie day but I was more active than usual with an event I attended. I had saved some calories because I knew I would be eating more that day. By the end of today I will not be over my weekly goal.
  • mrsgrimsdale
    Options
    I pretty much eat what I want every day, and always log it whether it takes me over or not. That way I can see when my weak days draw me towards sugar and when they draw me toward fats I can also use them to link to triggers that I can plan to either avoid or overcome. I think it is essential to eat what you like, its no good stuffing salad down if you are hating every mouthful, thats a sure way to make yourself feel deprived and unhappy which will lead to compensating sooner or later. If you have been doing this a while you will already have a good idea what size portions are good and which foods are your nemesis, just be fairly sensible and relax. If you don't want to log then don't it won't be the end of the world for just one weekend.
    have fun :-))
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I just log it as best I can. It helps me not go crazy and eat stupidly the whole time. Yup, sometimes you just have to eat what your 84 year old mom puts in front of you when you visit... you log and go one. It may be the last time I see her, so I just eat it and enjoy her company and gifts.

Otherwise, it is good to estimate a "bad" weekend so you know how to compensate with extra activty and care with your food calories for the next week or so.