Planning a 'bad' weekend

Options
2»

Replies

• Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have two days a month where I revel in gluttony (5,000 cals ish) - I do still log everything, though. And about one day a month where I log nothing and eat everything because THIS website is not the boss of me. :glasses:
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    No I don't. I work too hard to lose weight to chuck it all over and eat junk. I respect my body and what I put into it. Poor choices are just that, poor choices that do nothing to get us healthier.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I do have a cheat day every four to six weeks, but I always log it. For me, this entire process is about accountability. I want to be aware of how much I would eat if I did that every day. After a cheat day, although I enjoyed the food, I am always showed by the calories and it's a good reminder of what not to do on a daily basis.
  • lebbyloses
    lebbyloses Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a vacation since I joined MFP, but if I did I would log as well as possible with the understanding that life's not perfect. I'm trying to move away from thinking of food as a treat, but let's be honest. Some food IS a treat. And living on a tight budget in a small town, I get to go to really nice restaurants so rarely that I don't see myself worrying about calories when I do.

The trick, of course, is to make sure special occasions really are rare and special. That's a lot of what got me here--letting "sometimes" foods become almost daily foods and "as much as possible foods" become sometimes foods.

I did take advantage of a recent power outage to fave a "cheat" couple days. One day I did my best to track, and the other I ate things that were hard to quantify so I just put in about what I thought the calories might have been. You don't have to eat less just because you're logging, but if you don't log it at all, who are you hiding it from? There's a level of implied shame there that doesn't seem healthy to me.
  • samammay
    Options
    You don't have to eat less just because you're logging, but if you don't log it at all, who are you hiding it from? There's a level of implied shame there that doesn't seem healthy to me.

No, no shame at all. My thing is how does one accurately log "Crayfish Beignet with Tabasco Cabernet reduction" from Vics on the River? Guess?

When I say not log I say so because I have no idea HOW to log it.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I've had days where I've guesstimated a grand total. I prefer to log everything, but I'm sure I'll have more of those days in the future.
  • KMMRN
    KMMRN Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want on vacation, but I do log it. I ALWAYS lose weight on vacation....so busy having fun.

Hope you do too.
  • KMMRN
    KMMRN Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat less just because you're logging, but if you don't log it at all, who are you hiding it from? There's a level of implied shame there that doesn't seem healthy to me.

No, no shame at all. My thing is how does one accurately log "Crayfish Beignet with Tabasco Cabernet reduction" from Vics on the River? Guess?

Not sure about Savannah (USA?), but in Canada restaurants will give calorie counts of each item when asked.
  • Natalie511
    Natalie511 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Oh yes...every time I got out with the girls for a girls only weekend...For one thing I don't feel guilty and I completely let go....does wonders for the moral....I highly recommend it...
    :smile:
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    About once a year we go for a couple of days to the fantastic bed & breakfast place where we spent our honeymoon. I still log to the best of my ability, but I don't worry about calories or macros at all during that time. Often, the breakfast there is most of a normal day's calories. We enjoy it ALL and have dessert when we go out to dinner, too. Hasn't caused any noticeable setback in losing weight.
  • celticminx
    celticminx Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I haven't planned a whole weekend but I have done the occasional planned day, usually for a special occasion. I would allow myself to enjoy, if I really wanted something I would have it but in moderation where the old me would have supersized. The only reason I didn't log on these 'special' days was because I had no comparison for what is in the item I ate. How did I know what all went into the dish? Some have stated they would estimated cals which is a good idea. If nothing else log what you can and just make a Food Note about the other items you ate. This way if you do have a spike you can go back and see why.

Remember moderation while indulging. You can pack pounds back on much faster than taking them off. You can accidently do a lot of damage in one weekend if you just cut loose. Good luck and enjoy!
  • femina03
    Options
    I think I am like most of the others who have posted. I still enter my data even when I have gone a little off track. I was with family in NY a couple weekends ago and was treated to a couple of fabulous meals. When I was on my own I maintained the good habits I have developed since I started MFP. I tend to look at myself on a weekly basis...so one meal or one day does not fill me with guilt. I will do extra minutes on my bike and continue toward my goal.
  • fatoldladyonamission
    Options
    I've had a couple of occasions where I've eaten out without any idea what calories are in the food, so in the end I've logged as best I can what I think was in the food and then I've moved on. I don't want to screw up my weightloss so even when we have a family weekend in London in a few weeks time I'll still eat carefully and log everything I possibly can. Plus I'll exercise more before leaving and when we get back. I also plan to eat around 200 calories a day less for the week before and after so I've got some breathing space.

For me, I care more about keeping my groove going than I do about letting my hair down foodwise. I guess it comes down to what matters most to you. I'll remember and enjoy my weekend with my family whatever I eat, but I don't want that memory tinged with regret that I went off plan and couldn't get back on because the life I'm trying to have means more to me than the weekend does.

What matters most to you?
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    i only wish i would be able to do what you're planning. Me, i need to log. I may always be logging. Even when i go away for a week. I log everything to the best of my ability. Even if it's an estimate, i'm happy. I don't care if i go over or under, i just need to know i'm keeping track somehow. I need to know i'm accountable somewhere. I wish you luck with your logging...or no logging haha. Best wishes for a nice holday also.
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I continue to log.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I don't assign moral values to food, but I do ease up on my eating habits for vacations and social events, while keeping portion control in mind.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I have had a couple of those this month....:blushing:

And I know what you mean...how do you log this stuff...i did log it but what I did do was add in some quick add calories as I felt that the amounts were too low considering what I had eaten...and just in case I had forgotten something like the 2am poutine...etc.

ETA: My goal was to stay in maintenance but not deprive myself...I did that but a cautionary word...I paid for it later not with weight gain but with my belly being upset due to all the high calorie rich food...
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Good timing for this topic, since I have a weekend in Montreal (one of my 3 favorite North American food cities) coming up and I have absolutely no intention of thinking "I shouldn't have that." So I'm going to lower my 1800 calorie daily target to 1500 for the weeks before and after the trip, to help offset what I'm estimating will be 5000ish calories over the typical weekend.

Yes I'll be logging it because I am curious if my 5000 calorie estimate will be accurate.