What counts as water?

Do you count only plain water? Do you count the water you use for tea or coffee? What about flavor enhancers like propel?

Replies

• howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    There are LOTS of threads on this, so you might want tor review those. I personally only count straight up water, but a lot of people will count any drink made from water, coffee, tea, etc...
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Coffee, tea, sodas and sports drinks all contain very high percentages of water, so could certainly be counted from a technical standpoint.

Personally, although I drink plenty of (black) coffee, I only consider unadulterated water when it comes to reaching my hydration goals.
  • I only count plain water. When I entered decaf coffee(black) in my food diary it counted as 2 calories.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    I count water, and tea only when I make it without anything else like sugar. Also, if I put water in my shake, I count that.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    if i put ice in my bourbon, it counts as water.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    I count caffeine free diet coke as water!
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    I usually only count my water but I do still count if I add the Crystal Light to go packs. They have no sugar and no calories. I don't count anything that is loaded with sugar or caffeine. But that is just me. A lot of people count all your liquid. Hard question to answer, so many different opinions out there for sure.
  • kdsp2911
    kdsp2911 Posts: 170 Member
    I only count plain water, unless all it contains is slices of fruit (lemon). Coffee and tea, even black, are natural diuretics and therefore push water from your body...the opposite of hydrating it.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    What about ice? Is ice water? not sure if i should count it.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    if i put ice in my bourbon, it counts as water.

:laugh: :drinker:
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,010 Member
    A healthy person's urine is 95% water. So if I drink 20oz I just log it as 18.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,064 Member
    I count plain ol' water only myself.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    I do only water but really you can log what you want. Went people ask if it's cheating I don't think so plus I don't reLly even log my water everyday I lose track.

Just wanted to add this if you are asking this my guess you aren't getting enough water. So drink up :)
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Yeah you see this kind of post every week same title even lol i log only walter but whatever works
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,010 Member
    Ask Bear Grylls.....He'll tell you I'm right.
  • Sassyallday
    Sassyallday Posts: 136 Member
    Water. And seltzer water.

Club soda contains sodium. Coffee (even decaffeinated) contains caffeine as do many diet drinks. And artificial flavorings have chemicals. Each of them is dehydrating.

I don't pretend not to drink all of these. But I don't count them as water. In fact, according to something I read, you should have an ounce of water for every ounce of a dehydrating beverage consumed.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    WATER, just Water! Nothing else!
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    There are LOTS of threads on this, so you might want tor review those. I personally only count straight up water, but a lot of people will count any drink made from water, coffee, tea, etc...

Why would we do that? Especially when we can create a right proper trainwreck for everyone's enjoyment! I'll be here. With the popcorn. :drinker:
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    I only count plain water, unless all it contains is slices of fruit (lemon). Coffee and tea, even black, are natural diuretics and therefore push water from your body...the opposite of hydrating it.

You know what else is a natural diuretic?

Water.
  • elephant2mouse
    elephant2mouse Posts: 906 Member
    Am I the only person who doesn't log water?