Heavy Lifting Has Gotten Me Uncomfortable!!!

Options
124»

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Just adjusted nutrition goal to 1750cals a day. 50% carbs 25% fat 25% protein (109grams - in which i will try to go above a bit) MFP only says i will lose .1 of a pound each week though!!! But i should be worried about that now should i??? My goal is reduce body fat and recomp.........

MFP is expecting you to eat back your exercise calories, which you're not going to do because you're doing the TDEE method.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Just adjusted nutrition goal to 1750cals a day. 50% carbs 25% fat 25% protein (109grams - in which i will try to go above a bit) MFP only says i will lose .1 of a pound each week though!!! But i should be worried about that now should i??? My goal is reduce body fat and recomp.........

MFP is expecting you to eat back your exercise calories, which you're not going to do because you're doing the TDEE method.

MFP thinks im gonna burn 500cals doing 3 X 30min of exercise a week. MFP doesn't know that that exercise is only from heavy lifting though. I might to cardio some weeks, i might not. So what's should happen here? im a gonna lose or not?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

MFP thinks im gonna burn 500cals doing 3 X 30min of exercise a week. MFP doesn't know that that exercise is only from heavy lifting though. I might to cardio some weeks, i might not. So what's should happen here? im a gonna lose or not?

No MFP does not know that. It may know you have a goal to workout 3x a week for 30 ,minutes nut it does not factor that into your projected weight loss or your calorie goal. That is why MFP has you enter exercise then adds the calories.

TDEE and MFP work two different formulas. You can't use TDEE numbers and MFP predictions.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

When you set your exercise goal that doesn't actually change your calorie goal, until you enter exercise under the "exercise" tab.

Best thing to do is try it and see. If you do cardio that's on top of the exercise you used to figure your TDEE then you can eat those calories back. That's what I do when I end up with an extra workout.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

MFP is designed for its users to eat their exercise calories back. Therefore their predictions are based on this calculation.

The TDEE method INCLUDES exercise calories back so the predictions will be off. IGNORE the predictions. It's that simple.
  • jstarz002
    Options
    Okay, anybody agree that 80-90grams of protein is sufficient for me? 150lbs female, 5'9" lifting heavy by doing Strong Lifts 5x5.

Not enough protein... When I started lifting heavy I was eating 140-150 grams of protein a day and I was 90 lbs at the time before my bulk. You should be eating at least 150 grams of protein; around 1lb of protein per lb of body weight. It really does aid in recovery and stronger lifts, less soreness etc.

My post work out shake by itself is already 50 grams of protein (2 scoops) followed by a post workout meal with 35-45 grams of protein... so that's around 95 grams right just post work out... sometimes more depending on what I was eating.... Now that I am done bulking I am going to cut but my protein intake will remain high.
  • jstarz002
    Options
    Your lifts will never go up and you will stall unless you eat in caloric surplus as a beginner. Even Rippetoe's the writer of the program/book stresses the need for a surplus. Most women who eat in slight surplus on that program only get SMALLER; muscle weighs more than muscle. You can weigh more but look smaller if you have more muscle. As a noob you should be eating in slight surplus... You can always "cut" later... meaning eat in deficit AFTER you have gained some muscle... that's how fitness models get that defined look.

You will make no progress as a beginner doing that program on a deficit. You won't even build any muscle at all and you will not get stronger unless you give your body the fuel it needs to make those lifts plus your muscles will not recovery as fast... Food is a must for recovery.

Most women who start bodybuilding are like you; afraid to eat more.... As a beginner you are lucky that you will make gains FASTER than someone who has lifted for a while... you should eat at SLIGHT maintenance; that way you won't bulk but can recomp your body. Read up on "body recomp" for beginners (google).

A beginner will absolutely make strength gains while in a deficit. Building muscle mass is unlikely, but strength training while in a deficit will preserve much of the existing mass while reducing body fat and she will experience significant strength gains in the process.

I agree, strength gains will still be made.

Ah no to the bolded parts. I am a beginner to this sort of lifting and didn't start with the empty bar. Today on my 8th day lifting and I keep adding waiting for my first fail...

95lb squat today, 100lb deadlift and 55lb ohp
    Friday will be 100lb squat, 80lb bench and 80lb row...and I eat at a deficet

It's only been 8 days... eventually you will stall much faster than someone eating at maintenance or at a surplus.
  • jstarz002
    Options
    I think my protein should be set more around 80-90grams per day, then i will be able to meet target and eat the foods i wanna eat. Also, what's wrong with TDEE - 25-30% - still should lose weight and acheive body recomp by lifting heavy. Im not really that active anymore on day to day basis. Office 5 days a week, 3 days lifting, 1 day cardio.

If you reduce your deficit to10-15% by eating more protein, you can continue eating what you want, plus a little more, and better fuel your recovery from strength training. Decreasing your protein target to make your current macro intake look like you are hitting goal does nothing more than hide the issue. You mention in multiple threads and on your profile that your deficit target is 300-500 calories. Yet in looking at your diary only 11 days this month did you even hit a 500 or less deficit, most days your deficit was higher. Additionally, only 14 days this month did you hit at least 80 grams of protein, so even if you reduce your protein target to 80-90 you still did not hit that reduced target 40% of the time. This may sound harsh, but your problem is within yourself. If you can't be honest with yourself and determined to hit your objectives, then you are simply wasting the time of those here who are willing to provide guidance and support. Fix your diet, continue lifting, and see where you progress after 4-6 weeks. Otherwise half effort and excuses will not accomplish anything.

I don't see how hitting macros are so important! I really thought i could still get results with what im doing. Eating at a deficit and lifting heavy.

Protein is of the utmost importance. It aids in recovery (you will feel less sore) and help to build muscle which in return burns fat.... You need to keep track of macros. I like to eat over 1.5x my bw in protein but that's just me....
  • jstarz002
    Options
    Okay, anybody agree that 80-90grams of protein is sufficient for me? 150lbs female, 5'9" lifting heavy by doing Strong Lifts 5x5.

I ate 150 grams and higher at 90 lbs... but my goal was to get a huge booty and it did grow... so my goals are different than yours.... IMO you should aim for 150 grams of protein at the LEAST. Try to get most of it from food but 2 scoops of Optimum Nutrition is already 50 grams... you can use it to supplement but you should be getting the majority of that from food.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    You just need a nice long hard shoulder massage to release the tension in those traps.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options

MFP is designed for its users to eat their exercise calories back. Therefore their predictions are based on this calculation.

The TDEE method INCLUDES exercise calories back so the predictions will be off. IGNORE the predictions. It's that simple.

Okay so since im using the TDEE method then I should just be using MFP to log my food/macros and ignore the "you will lose this much weight" and so on???
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Okay so since im using the TDEE method then I should just be using MFP to log my food/macros and ignore the "you will lose this much weight" and so on???

Exactly