Making the World a Fatter Place

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Do ever reply minnie?

Only when she wants to tell someone it is past their bed time.

Mokey 41 how many handles do you have?????

What? Lots of people think I'm laughable and that any time I post it's time to roll in and basically have a party?

Must be sock puppets.

Trust me Minnie, I have certs in Early Childhood Education and Child and Family Studies, there are just that many people who think you're basically a goofy pinata waiting to poked at.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

ETA: I've got nothing to prove, but this is my one and only account. Please feel free to ask the mods to run an IP check if you are THAT sure I'm a duplicate account :flowerforyou:

Although, I'm sure the same probably can't be said for you :bigsmile:

You got to it before I did....2 thumbs up.

have you tried out the walmart scooters? they look fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwEGSe_upuQ

Was that a disparaging remark about someone's weight? How inappropriate.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

ETA: I've got nothing to prove, but this is my one and only account. Please feel free to ask the mods to run an IP check if you are THAT sure I'm a duplicate account :flowerforyou:

Although, I'm sure the same probably can't be said for you :bigsmile:

You got to it before I did....2 thumbs up.

have you tried out the walmart scooters? they look fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwEGSe_upuQ

You do understand that an insult is an insult, whether stated directly here or linked to a youtube video.

ETA: Oh and nah, I'll pass. About to be done with C25K and moving on to C210K so I've no desire to ride those scooters. Not unless we can somehow up the speed on them and race. :bigsmile:

That's just the tip of the iceberg of what she doesn't understand.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    While I do think that there is something about the business of high fructose corn syrup and some of the studies are very interesting, there is still a lot to be said for personal accountability. It's not like we tied the Mexican people up and forced high fructose corn syrup and junk food and soda down their throats. We all have to choose what and how much we eat. I will be the first one to say that I do occasionally eat junk, and like Taunto, I eat ice cream regularly. I have lost a little over 70 lbs in the last year, so I must be doing something right!

It may well be as poorer countries lack access to clean drinking water which results in a consumption of sodas..
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    You know, on the one hand, personal responsibility is the absolute be-all and end-all of the matter. People have to choose to not eat excessive amounts of high-calorie density food if they don't have the activity levels to support it.

On the other hand, cultures don't change over night. When there is a rapid shift in food availability, it takes a long time for attitudes and education to catch up. I suspect that in 10,000 years, the 'obesity phase' will be a well known stage of societal evolution. The phase that comes between the dawn of sudden abundance and the realization as a society that our net caloric intakes are no longer self-governing by food scarcity and the energy required to hunt and gather. This will take a while.

I suspect that this phase will start earlier for the less developed nations than it otherwise would - precisely because of the exports from highly-developed nations. Hopefully it will prove just as profitable for us to export 'the quantified self' (which I believe will eventually turn the tide of obesity), and their obesity phase will be shorter than ours. But we'll have to wait for the obesity phase to really get going first, before we have a market for 'quantified self'.

Of course, no nation as a whole will ever be as lean after this 'obesity phase' as they were before. There will always be individuals who choose to over-eat and under-exercise, once that becomes an option.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    While I do think that there is something about the business of high fructose corn syrup and some of the studies are very interesting, there is still a lot to be said for personal accountability. It's not like we tied the Mexican people up and forced high fructose corn syrup and junk food and soda down their throats. We all have to choose what and how much we eat. I will be the first one to say that I do occasionally eat junk, and like Taunto, I eat ice cream regularly. I have lost a little over 70 lbs in the last year, so I must be doing something right!

It a number of poorer countries they lack access to clean drinking water.

This sentence might explain why you continuously copy and paste :noway:
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I get fat every time I even think about Mexican food so I call BS!

True story. The amount of fat and calories in Mexican food seems to indicate that they are the ones trying to fatten the United States. I think they're trying to make you see what you want to see. The powers that be want you to think that the U.S. is doing this when clearly Mexico is in control of taking over America by way of burrito and nacho chips.

Damn, my cover is blown!
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Minnie, the common thread of the articles you post is as follows:

1. People are weak and easily lead.
    2. Corporations and the food industry are trying to kill them.
    3. Some outside force should save people from their own weaknesses and the big, evil corporations because people aren't strong enough to change by themselves.

So now, when someone disagrees with you, you toss out poorly aimed "haha, you're fat!" insults. Insults that, by your conspiracy "companies brainwash people fat" logic, are the equivalent to picking on the mentally retarded kid.

Bravo, just... bravo.

Keep doing your thing. I couldn't top the absurdity if I tried.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    You know, on the one hand, personal responsibility is the absolute be-all and end-all of the matter. People have to choose to not eat excessive amounts of high-calorie density food if they don't have the activity levels to support it.

On the other hand, cultures don't change over night. When there is a rapid shift in food availability, it takes a long time for attitudes and education to catch up. I suspect that in 10,000 years, the 'obesity phase' will be a well known stage of societal evolution. The phase that comes between the dawn of sudden abundance and the realization as a society that our net caloric intakes are no longer self-governing by food scarcity and the energy required to hunt and gather. This will take a while.

I suspect that this phase will start earlier for the less developed nations than it otherwise would - precisely because of the exports from highly-developed nations. Hopefully it will prove just as profitable for us to export 'the quantified self' (which I believe will eventually turn the tide of obesity), and their obesity phase will be shorter than ours. But we'll have to wait for the obesity phase to really get going first, before we have a market for 'quantified self'.

Of course, no nation as a whole will ever be as lean after this 'obesity phase' as they were before. There will always be individuals who choose to over-eat and under-exercise, once that becomes an option.

I appreciate this viewpoint that we are in a transition period between food scarcity and food abundance. The abundance is certainly not evenly spread, and the above assumes that the transition towards abundance will continue, but (and I'm shooting from the hip here) it may help provide a framework for understanding why obesity seems more prevalent among the poor of a wealthy country such as the U.S. If attitudes about eating are passed from generation to generation then those families that are poor by Western standards (but now have access to enough food to become overweight) have not had time to change their views on, and habits in regard to, eating.

As an individual, I agree that it's best to simply take responsibility and push away from the table, but this is an interesting cultural perspective. Has this been published anywhere? It would make some interesting light reading.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

it also blows apart her theory that the US is making everyone else fat. if she's saying they drink soda because they have no clean drinking water then we are in fact heroes.... at least they're drinking something amiright? MURICA!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

it also blows apart her theory that the US is making everyone else fat. if she's saying they drink soda because they have no clean drinking water then we are in fact heroes.... at least they're drinking something amiright? MURICA!

Oh is that what she was saying? Thanks for the translation. :drinker:
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

Oh is that what she was saying? Thanks for the translation. :drinker:

I am very familiar with people on drugs, both uppers and downers. fen-phen conspiracy theories are a cakewalk compared to some other **** I've heard.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

It may well be as poorer countries lack access to clean drinking water which results in a consumption of sodas..

So you're saying that bottled water is cheaper in poor countries than soda? As someone who has lived in many poor countries, I can assure you, it isn't.

I think its OK to think before you type. It doesn't hurt.
  • Minnie2361
    Options

Scientific America did a great article on the tax payer funded corn industry and its impact on the diet and weight gain.
    Corporate Welfare
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=fresh-fruit-hold-the-insulin
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I do miss Mexican food though. I really really really really wanna have some Mexican food right now!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

I appreciate this viewpoint that we are in a transition period between food scarcity and food abundance. The abundance is certainly not evenly spread, and the above assumes that the transition towards abundance will continue, but (and I'm shooting from the hip here) it may help provide a framework for understanding why obesity seems more prevalent among the poor of a wealthy country such as the U.S. If attitudes about eating are passed from generation to generation then those families that are poor by Western standards (but now have access to enough food to become overweight) have not had time to change their views on, and habits in regard to, eating.

As an individual, I agree that it's best to simply take responsibility and push away from the table, but this is an interesting cultural perspective. Has this been published anywhere? It would make some interesting light reading.

This is really just a conclusion I've reached based on various opinions I've read on food abundance, etc... there's no official source other than 'my addled brain'. It'd be interesting to put the idea to a room of sociologists and anthropologists and see what a bunch of real brains could make of it (even if it's just firewood).
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

This is really just a conclusion I've reached based on various opinions I've read on food abundance, etc... there's no official source other than 'my addled brain'. It'd be interesting to put the idea to a room of sociologists and anthropologists and see what a bunch of real brains could make of it (even if it's just firewood).

Regardless, I think that it's an interesting perspective.
  • Minnie2361
    Options
    How federal food subsidies turned the food pyramid upside down

6a00e5500a0b55883401310f8988f5970c-pi
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    How federal food subsidies turned the food pyramid upside down

6a00e5500a0b55883401310f8988f5970c-pi

Yup the government likes bacon.

ETA:it actually isn't cheaper btw....I can make a salad at home for about 4$...where a big mac here is I think right about the same one you factor in tax etc.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Minnie, do you actually have a life or do you just sit at home 24 hours per day googling insane conspiracy theories?
This discussion has been closed.