Options
13»

Replies

• lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The calories certainly vary, even according to this site:

Search Results for Chicken Thighs, boneless, skinless

Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs - Roasted (Perdue)
    Serving Size: 3 oz., Calories: 150, Fat: 9g, Carbs: 0g, Protein: 17g

Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs (Kroger)
    Serving Size: 4 oz (112g), Calories: 130, Fat: 7g, Carbs: 0g, Protein: 22g

Chicken Thighs - Skinless and Boneless (Asda)
    Serving Size: 3 oz., Calories: 220, Fat: 2.8g, Carbs: 0g, Protein: 18.3g

Whole Foods Organic Chicken Thighs-boneless and Skinless (Generic)
    Serving Size: 4 oz (113g), Calories: 160, Fat: 8g, Carbs: 1g, Protein: 21g

And that is only a few that are listed.

The calories for chicken thigh (raw) don't vary much, beyond natural fluctuations.

The inaccuracies in user-submitted entries, is what varies

The ASDA ones is clearly wrong somewhere (those macros come nowhere near that calorie total)
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Stop eating chicken breasts ... eat the thighs, they're tastier, have more nutrients, and are only 3 more calories per ounce ... Come to the dark side, trust me, you'll love it ...

I don't know where you got your numbers, but from what I've seen, they're almost double the calories per oz... Grilled chicken breast is 1 calorie per gram, dark meat is almost 2...

Ounce for ounce *RAW WEIGHT (Of course they aren't the same if you compare cooked to raw, and we are also assuming both are boneless/skinless ... breast meat would be higher, as well, if the skin was left on ...) ... nutritiondata.self.com ... USDA numbers
  • TigerBite
    Options
    The calories certainly vary, even according to this site:

Search Results for Chicken Thighs, boneless, skinless

Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs - Roasted (Perdue)
    Serving Size: 3 oz., Calories: 150, Fat: 9g, Carbs: 0g, Protein: 17g

Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs (Kroger)
    Serving Size: 4 oz (112g), Calories: 130, Fat: 7g, Carbs: 0g, Protein: 22g

Chicken Thighs - Skinless and Boneless (Asda)
    Serving Size: 3 oz., Calories: 220, Fat: 2.8g, Carbs: 0g, Protein: 18.3g

Whole Foods Organic Chicken Thighs-boneless and Skinless (Generic)
    Serving Size: 4 oz (113g), Calories: 160, Fat: 8g, Carbs: 1g, Protein: 21g

And that is only a few that are listed.

That's because some people don't always take the time to label things correctly (raw, cooked, etc.) ... There's a lot of "bad" entries on here ...
  • TigerBite
    Options
    I'd go with Nutritiondata on this one, since I have been eating these at the 33 calories per ounce number and have been effortlessly meeting my fitness goals (i.e. maintain weight/getting stronger/faster) fo a while now ...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am just wondering if anyone else is amazed how much chicken breast you get in 100 gram (3.5 oz approxiamte) serving. That was our protein last night and my husband (who is a big guy) could barely get it all down. I think he thought I was doubling portions on him. I showed him (using a pre-portioned snack item) that in fact the food scale was bang on.

He also told me all he feel like he does lately is eat - as I am always giving him more food to meet his calorie goals. Who else is amazed with the sheer amount of food you get when it is healthy and prepared in a healthy way :)

epic trolling
  • stinkypoopy
    stinkypoopy Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Sorry - I weigh it cooked and it was part of a larger meal. But we eat about 6 smaller meals a day.

Yeah so the truth comes out.

-Inaccurate weighing
    -Only part of a smaller meal
    -Eating twice as many meals as most people per day.

But OMG, I'm eating sooo much.
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Just to chime in, I have a hard time eating a full 4oz of chicken at a time as well. I've never been able to eat a lot of meat in one sitting so I understand where you're coming from. I just keep working towards eating it all no matter if I'm hungry or not.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I can easily eat six ounces to nine ounces of chicken at one time.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    WHEW

I thought I was going crazy!!! I was like dayum I really AM a complete and utter fat kid if 3.5 is supposed to be a lot.

I just put down 4.5 oz (not because i ddin't want more- I just needed lunch tomorrow) 5 oz mashed sweet potatoes and 2 cups of California blend veggies.....

and I'm full- oh wait- 12 oz of 2%. I sit for almost 2 hrs at the all you can eat brazillian steak house place and eat double digits of top sirloin.

I put away probably 35+ oz of porterhouse when we went to Bobby Vans... 3.5 is like.... a snack. Thank god- I felt like I was seriously the fat kid.
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I am just wondering if anyone else is amazed how much chicken breast you get in 100 gram (3.5 oz approxiamte) serving. That was our protein last night and my husband (who is a big guy) could barely get it all down. I think he thought I was doubling portions on him. I showed him (using a pre-portioned snack item) that in fact the food scale was bang on.

He also told me all he feel like he does lately is eat - as I am always giving him more food to meet his calorie goals. Who else is amazed with the sheer amount of food you get when it is healthy and prepared in a healthy way :)

epic trolling

Omg trolling. Seriously. I am just a person trying to help her husband loose weight. I am helping him go from a world of skipping breakfast, eating fried high fat foods at lunch and no veggies at all to eating healthy. I am not a troll.

I also don't think I need to compare my husbands protein needs to those that (based on their profile pics) clearly live at the gym.

I have found some helpful tips on this post . But it is amazing how quickly some here jump all over you.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

epic trolling

Omg trolling. Seriously. I am just a person trying to help her husband loose weight. I am helping him go from a world of skipping breakfast, eating fried high fat foods at lunch and no veggies at all to eating healthy. I am not a troll.

I also don't think I need to compare my husbands protein needs to those that (based on their profile pics) clearly live at the gym.

I have found some helpful tips on this post . But it is amazing how quickly some here jump all over you.

If you state a "big guy" can barely eat 3.5 oz of chicken, then yes that seems like a troll post.

As for you "helping" him, there is nothing wrong with skipping breakfast
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options

epic trolling

If you state a "big guy" can barely eat 3.5 oz of chicken, then yes that seems like a troll post.

As for you "helping" him, there is nothing wrong with skipping breakfast
    By big guy I mean overweight. And yes skipping breakfast, in my opinion, is wrong. Especially if by lunch you are famished and get high fat greasy take out
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I eat 4-6 ounces in a meal... did I miss something?

And i'm 5'5 125 pounds.
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Stop eating chicken breasts ... eat the thighs, they're tastier, have more nutrients, and are only 3 more calories per ounce ... Come to the dark side, trust me, you'll love it ...

Giant packages of chicken thighs (cheap!) combined with oranges, spices and my Crock Pot have made for one of the easiest and most requested meals in my house. I totally agree!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

epic trolling

Any post people don't agree with will usually get the "trolling" label. Just ignore it. People troll these boards looking for posts they can label as troll posts. Trolls trolling for trolls. I'm sure it's tons of fun.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I don't live at the gym and I still say 3-8 ounces of chicken for me, depending on the meal :smile:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I don't eat chicken and I don't weigh my food (I know...gasps all around)

But yes, since joining MFP I am amazed at certain foods and meals I "can eat" that I wouldn't have thought were the nutritional content they are.

For example I used to love shakes and malts but I don't mind never having them because instead I can have a piece of pie, spinach and artichoke grilled cheese sandwich AND a salad...huge super satisfying and decadent meal!!!!!!
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    3.5 oz of chicken breast?

am I reading that wrong? that's not even a a whole chicken breast.

I don't get it either. 3.5 ounces of chicken seems like so little to me.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    You guys are comparing breast and thigh with the skin on. Groady. I'm a weirdo, I like the lean, dry breast meat. It also has more grams of protein per calorie, which makes it a winner winner chicken dinner for me.

Either way, yes, 100 grams is sad face. I have been eating 170-370 grams at a whack lately.