Grain free, dairy free, egg free breakfast ideas?

Options
13»

Replies

• annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I recently made a recipe that combined 100g mango pulp with 28 g Chia seeds (multiply recipe as necessary), let sit in the fridge for 1/2 hr then spread into some kind of baking pan and bake at a temp that will both dehydrate the juices from the mango and cook the stuff. Mango-chia seed crackers! Then you could add some peanut butter or something else on top.

What about cutting up some sweet potatoes and roasting them in the oven with some olive oil and herbs?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    also

if you have lunch and dinner covered- feed him that for breakfast.

I know LOTS of people who eat left overs for breakfast (me included)
    I know. This is an excellent idea. I started to do that myself a while ago and it really opened up my choices.
    I do this for my son sometimes like yesterday he ate coconut shrimp with rice for breakfast. :)
    The problem is variety. I cook only one dish for dinner and he gets the same into his lunchbox the next day. Giving the exact same for breakfast is boring.

welcome to adult world... where we all eat the same thing all the time because we are busy LOL

I cook 2 dishes usually- one easier and one more "zesty" or complicated as it were... that way I can rotate them. I also have the luxory of egg scramble thing I make- so that's three things I rotate- I also make eggs for dinner. But yeah- if I can't make 2 things- I eat the same thing for days till it runs out. Shrug. you get used to it.
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'll second the rice porridge, I was on a strict gluten free diet as a kid, and it made our mornings a bit more bearable. You could take on some asian inspiration and make it savoury too, otherwise it's yummy with some fruit or honey on top. Also, potato, as others said. A hash would work well, or just panfried with a few veggies and some GF ham, sausage or even left over dinner meats. Also, there's nothing wrong with mixing non-usual things in at breakfast time. How about some (home made would be yummiest) baked beans over a little rice? A piece of bacon might go nicely with that.

Also, a tip from someone who was in a similar place as your little guy, in the end my parent's chose to pretty much...eat as I did. This is towards the bacon but no egg scenario. It illuminates the fact you can't have something if your family all are around you, and that's hard when you're young. Weirdly enough, if we were out or somewhere different, the fact my mum ate with/the same as me rather than all the things I couldn't, it was much easier for me to deal with watching others eat it. I know this isn't always practical, but in cases you can, you've probably already noticed this makes it easier.

Best of luck!
  • MsMimidoll
    MsMimidoll Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I used to have rice porridge for breakfast. Its normally in the rice or pudding section and called Flacked Rice. Just add milk of choice and boil up like porridge.

or, one of my favories...cook some rice, add a little almond or soy milk, add some cinnamon and sugar...and banana.
    Mmmmmmmm arroz con leche
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I recently made a recipe that combined 100g mango pulp with 28 g Chia seeds (multiply recipe as necessary), let sit in the fridge for 1/2 hr then spread into some kind of baking pan and bake at a temp that will both dehydrate the juices from the mango and cook the stuff. Mango-chia seed crackers! Then you could add some peanut butter or something else on top.

What about cutting up some sweet potatoes and roasting them in the oven with some olive oil and herbs?
    Never heard of such thing, but It sounds very interesting quick and versatile "bread". i will try this out tomorrow. I have chia seed and I 'll defrost some mango overnight.
  • cathrionak2013
    Options
    those suggesting rice cakes, rice porridge and corn foods - these are both grains!

Check out...
    http://www.againstallgrain.com
    http://againstthegrainnutrition.blogspot.com.au

use chia seeds
    flaxseed
    buckwheat
    almond meal
  • cathrionak2013
    Options
    Banana Nut Porridge

Author: Danielle Walker – Against All Grain
    Recipe type: Breakfast
    Serves: 4
    Ingredients
    ½ cup raw cashews
    ½ cup raw almonds
    ½ cup raw pecans
    1 very ripe banana (makes it easier to digest plus adds a little more sweetness)
    2 cup coconut milk
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    dash of sea salt for soaking water
    Instructions

Place the nuts in a large bowl and sprinkle the sea salt over them. Fill the bowl with filtered water so the nuts are covered by at least 1 inch of water. Cover and soak overnight.
    Drain the nuts and rinse 2 or 3 times, until the water runs clear.
    Add the drained nuts to a food processor or high-speed blender. Blend the nuts with the banana, coconut milk, and cinnamon until smooth.

Divide it into bowls and microwave for 40 seconds or put all of the porridge in a pot on the stove and heat over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
    Serve with raisins, chopped nuts, and an extra splash of milk if desired.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    those suggesting rice cakes, rice porridge and corn foods - these are both grains!

Check out...
    http://www.againstallgrain.com
    http://againstthegrainnutrition.blogspot.com.au

use chia seeds
    flaxseed
    buckwheat
    almond meal

The OP specifically said corn and rice are OK.

A few ideas:
    cream of rice cereal
    grits
    grit cakes (cook grits, refrigerate in loaf pan until solid, slice, and fry)
    potato pancakes (made from mashed potatoes -- you would have to use almond milk or some other nondairy milk, but you don't need egg and flour binders the way you do with grated raw potato cakes) (we always made them thick like a burger)
    bacon, sausage, ham, etc. (maybe with beans and fried tomatoes, instead of eggs?)
    you would have to check the labels, but there are cold rice and corn based cereals, like Chex (with almond milk or other nondairy milk)
    peanut butter (or other nut butters) on corn tortillas
    sliced banana and apple with peanut butter
    avocado, peanut butter, and banana smoothie
    corn tortilla with a film of margarine, sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon and run under the broiler or in toaster oven

Best of luck for you and your little boy!
  • mariabee
    mariabee Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Excellent tips here - I just found out I am dairy, egg and wheat intolerant, so this post has some great information.