Is the Nasty sweet stuff being manipulated

Options
I told my buddy that the processed stuff we bought in the past it being manipulated. He said "it don't surprise me they did that to cigarettes to get us all hooked then denied they were doiing it " . He thinks those big ciqarette chiefs should have been up on perjury charges.

I read this on another thread

The big players in the U.S. food industry have certainly acted like the tobacco pushers as they have deployed an incredible array of scientific and marketing research designed to get people to eat more, often at the obvious expense of their health. In his book, "Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us," journalist Michael Moss offers a damning portrait of food companies that have entire research wings dedicated to creating the ideal "bliss point" so that brain receptors crave a food without ever triggering a sense of being satiated. More often than not, adding sweetness has been the easiest way to fool the brain, resulting in products like Yoplait yogurt, which tries to project a healthy image but, as Moss notes, has twice as much real sugar per serving as Lucky Charms cereal - the poster child for an unhealthy breakfast when I was growing up. - See more at: http://mcalesternews.com/features/x1253343348/How-America-is-exporting-its-obesity-epidemic#sthash.Eg71H0w3.dpuf

Replies

• QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    The food manufacturers research until they find the "sweet spot" - just the right combination of sugar, salt and fat to keep you eating even though you have already had a serving and maybe are feeling full. It isn't just the sweet stuff, salty stuff, fatty stuff (peanut butter has sugar added) and all the processed foods are affected. I eat nothing that is processed. It's junk. If you don't believe me, look around and you'll see tons of overweight people eating and drinking junk.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Oh, oh, you and Minnie, a match made in heaven!
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    The food manufacturers research until they find the "sweet spot" - just the right combination of sugar, salt and fat to keep you eating even though you have already had a serving and maybe are feeling full. It isn't just the sweet stuff, salty stuff, fatty stuff (peanut butter has sugar added) and all the processed foods are affected. I eat nothing that is processed. It's junk. If you don't believe me, look around and you'll see tons of overweight people eating and drinking junk.

Plenty of skinny people eat 'junk' too...geez.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Aha! Another way I can blame someone other than myself for my poor life choices!
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options

Seriously, my boyfriend eats crap the 75% of the week he's at his house and not mine. I think I'm his only source of vegetables. He's a skinny dude.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I continue to be surprised that people continue to be surprised that the food industry does its best to make as much money as possible.

ETA: also I eat a combination of "whole" and processed foods. So far it's working fine for me. Balance is important.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

And plenty of obese people eat non-junk.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Yep. Either Minnie will comment in this thread later or vice versa on Minnie's. Interesting cause I looked and they ain't even friends yet have so much in common :laugh:
  • silken555
    Options

Seriously, my boyfriend eats crap the 75% of the week he's at his house and not mine. I think I'm his only source of vegetables. He's a skinny dude.

I just don't get the need to vilify food or blame others for ones excess weight.

It's simple, eat too much of anything and you'll gain weight.
  • silken555
    Options

And plenty of obese people eat non-junk.

Very true as well!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    entire research wings dedicated to creating the ideal "bliss point" so that brain receptors crave a food without ever triggering a sense of being satiated. More often than not, adding sweetness has been the easiest way to fool the brain

You know what that means in lay terms? They made food that tastes good.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

Yep. Either Minnie will comment in this thread later or vice versa on Minnie's. Interesting cause I looked and they ain't even friends yet have so much in common :laugh:

Minnie accused me of having multiple accounts, now I'm wondering.......
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I just don't get the need to vilify food or blame others for ones excess weight.

It's simple, eat too much of anything and you'll gain weight.

QFT
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    They're in cahoots with "the colonel". They put an addictive chemical in things to make you crave them fortnightly!:smile::wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPMS6tGOACo

Sorry, couldn't resist. :flowerforyou: But yes, they make it as appealing as possible, and yes, it's probably not getting healthier when they tweak things.
    :smile:

We decide what we eat and when. Not always easy, but that's reality.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Because one thread today about this wasn't enough?
  • MilliDenney
    MilliDenney Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't know if the sweet stuff is manipulated, but many things are so it wouldn't surprise me.

I have always had a problem with sugar. The more I eat the more I want.

However, I have been doing the Peer Trainer diet, which promoted Xylitol, which is supposed (and this it does) gives you the sweet taste, but does not trigger the cravings for more afterwards. It has half the calories of sugar, doesn't threaten your teeth and tastes very good. You can even bake with it, and when you use it in drinks like tea or coffe, there is no artificial flavor, at least not for me.

It also seems to give your brain a signal you do not want more of it. It may all be suggestion, I really don't know, the only thing I know is that it works really well for me.

About Stevia, that doesn't do the trick for me, not at all. And I am past the aspertame period, I do not do that anymore since I have read so many bad things about that.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Minnie accused me of having multiple accounts, now I'm wondering.......

:smokin:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

well, Minnie didn't get the response she wanted with the other post, so she's trying again with her sock puppet account, duh!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

well, Minnie didn't get the response she wanted with the other post, so she's trying again with her sock puppet account, duh!

I hope she's using a proxy for at least one of them. MFP PTB don't take too kindly to dupe accounts used for forum shenanigans.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    conspiracy-cat-cats-kitten-kitty-pic-picture-funny-lolcat-cute-fun-lovely-photo-images.jpg