9 lbs lost but something's wrong...

Options

Replies

• ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    Agreed, could be that you weren't eating enough when eating clean. Just yesterday I had a surprise day off, and I was meticulous about logging. Turns out if left on my own on a normal day at home I'm barely eating 700 calories. Needless to say I had to rectify that especially as I had an hour of HIIT cardio yesterday night.

So it could be that you were eating less than you though you were on a daily basis when eating clean. While you may lose some weight eating such a deficit, ultimately you do yourself harm.

edited to get my tenses right.

I'm logging ...gosh, please re-read what I said...when I eat JUNK food, I log and when it goes even when it goes over my limit but when I eat extra bowl of ravioli couple hours later and I know it's 280 calories, so I know it is 1480! I choose not to, but I go over limit, not even barely hitting it, but going over.
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    Maybe "clean eating" shocked your system enough that it kicked your metabolism up a notch when you went back to normal eating??? Are you exercising at all, walking more, fidgeting more, lower sodium intake maybe making you loose water weight, over estimating caloric intake or underestimating output?

...Those are my best guesses. Good luck!

No, I still eat regular food, no sodium was reduced. :)
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Agreed, could be that you weren't eating enough when eating clean. Just yesterday I had a surprise day off, and I was meticulous about logging. Turns out if left on my own on a normal day at home I'm barely eating 700 calories. Needless to say I had to rectify that especially as I had an hour of HIIT cardio yesterday night.

So it could be that you were eating less than you though you were on a daily basis when eating clean. While you may lose some weight eating such a deficit, ultimately you do yourself harm.

edited to get my tenses right.

I'm logging ...gosh, please re-read what I said...when I eat JUNK food, I log and when it goes even when it goes over my limit but when I eat extra bowl of ravioli couple hours later and I know it's 280 calories, so I know it is 1480! I choose not to, but I go over limit, not even barely hitting it, but going over.

then maybe you are eating at a calorie deficit at either point.
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    I wouldn't allow yourself to get used to it. Any change in diet is going to result in some loss. Nine pounds in a month is pretty good, but at your weight, water weight is going to play a bigger role. Prepare yourself for some normalization of weight loss, and a harder time losing it as you go along. At my heaviest, it was easy. As I go, it gets harder and harder. Don't convince yourself that this first 10 lbs is going to be typical of the rest of your journey.

Be diligent, log your food, get your exercise, and build on your momentum! Your body will change, how it loses weight will change, the challenges you face will change. Be prepared, do the best you can do, and envision your success. Just be prepared for the honeymoon to be over and the hard work to begin, because surely this won't last.

I wish you the very best on your journey! You can do this!

Thank you!
    I like your response!
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    When you eat clean, you're eating much more fruits and veggies and fiber, I'm sure. Those things literally weigh a lot more as they pass through your digestive system because they absorb a ton of water. Several pounds can just be water absorbed by fibrous stuff that you're digesting, and digestion can take 1-3 days. So if you go from eating lots of fiber to eating less when you "don't eat clean", you might drop a bunch of water weight as you excrete the fiber and your body lets go of the water. THAT is the scientific explanation, from a doctor-in-training :)

You're not actually losing more weight when you stop eating clean, you're just dropping a bunch of water. Stick to mostly clean eatng and you'll lose consistently and regularly over time. And track everything, "clean" or not! Nobody is here to judge you - and if they do, they have their own issues :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I can tell you from experience that when you have a lot to lose you can drop weight by practically just thinking about it. You're just starting out too, weight flies off at the beginning with hardly any work. You mention going over your allowance but from what you're saying, you're not going that far over so you're probably still in a deficit so you will continue to lose weight. Are you weighing and measuring food? If you're not even logging accurately I'm not sure what kind of answers you expect.

The long and short of it is, if you are losing weight and continue to lose weight long term, then you're in a calorie deficit. That's all that's really important. Keep it up.
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercise/activities are you doing? Maybe you're burning more than you realize.
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    Happens to me, too. I eat healthy, high-protein and lotsa vegetables, and I lose minimally if at all, or I eat sugary cereal and drop a lb the next day. I think our bodies just adjust to the better end of stuff and learn to use sugar as fuel immediately after, rather than hanging onto it and storing it as happened before.

That being said, I'm having French toast tomorrow and expecting to drop some of this recently put-on Vegas booze-weight. :drinker:

How did you lose 50 ? :flowerforyou:
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    When you eat clean, you're eating much more fruits and veggies and fiber, I'm sure. Those things literally weigh a lot more as they pass through your digestive system because they absorb a ton of water. Several pounds can just be water absorbed by fibrous stuff that you're digesting, and digestion can take 1-3 days. So if you go from eating lots of fiber to eating less when you "don't eat clean", you might drop a bunch of water weight as you excrete the fiber and your body lets go of the water. THAT is the scientific explanation, from a doctor-in-training :)

You're not actually losing more weight when you stop eating clean, you're just dropping a bunch of water. Stick to mostly clean eatng and you'll lose consistently and regularly over time. And track everything, "clean" or not! Nobody is here to judge you - and if they do, they have their own issues :)

Hmm, interesting...thanks :)

But I stopped eating "clean" like 2-3 weeks ago...I really doubt "fiber with water"only now gets out.
  • dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Ok, you're clearly not understand what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that your calorie goal is set too low. It doesn't matter what kind of food you eat, "clean" or not. That absolutely doesn't matter. If you're not eating enough, you won't lose weight. So when you go over your "goal" with "junk," or with *whatever* kind of food, YOU ARE FINALLY ACTUALLY EATING ENOUGH AND YOUR BODY IS LETTING ITSELF LET GO OF ENERGY STORES.

Good luck.
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    I can tell you from experience that when you have a lot to lose you can drop weight by practically just thinking about it. You're just starting out too, weight flies off at the beginning with hardly any work. You mention going over your allowance but from what you're saying, you're not going that far over so you're probably still in a deficit so you will continue to lose weight. Are you weighing and measuring food? If you're not even logging accurately I'm not sure what kind of answers you expect.

The long and short of it is, if you are losing weight and continue to lose weight long term, then you're in a calorie deficit. That's all that's really important. Keep it up.

I am a medical student, self-taught nutritionist lol...for myself, I've educated myself about all these things for past 6 years, I learned calories, sugars, fats from using same food all the time and seeing how much in what. I ALREADY been through that, I do know these stuff. I do weigh my food, even coffee creamer.
    And most of the time, I would say 90% I log food, I just don't log EXTRA on top of my already OVER limit.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Dude, ok. The calorie goal that you're going over is probably not enough for you. Hence, when you go over that, you then move into the territory of eating enough and you start to let go of weight. Make sense?

Lol, okay, let me break it down for you "dude". I was eating CLEAN and therefore was consuming way less than now and was losing less weight and harder, NOW I am eating NORMAL(like usual, in between junk and healthy), eating more CALORIES but losing MORE weight and EASIER. Makes sense?

I really don't think you're understanding what this person (or a lot of people) was saying...

There is such a thing as eating too little, and it can hinder your weight loss. When you were eating "CLEAN" as you keep saying, you were eating less than you are now. In fact, it is very possible that you were eating too little.

Now that you're not eating clean, you are eating more (again, like you've said repeatedly). You're probably actually eating an appropriate amount of calories for your body now, resulting in better weight loss results. We get this idea in our heads that eating too much is bad, but we forget that eating to little is bad as well. When you were eating clean you probably were eating too little and now you are not.

Search "eat more to weigh less" on the forums if you want more info on this type of thing.

best of luck to you!
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    What kind of exercise/activities are you doing? Maybe you're burning more than you realize.

None.
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    Ok, you're clearly not understand what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that your calorie goal is set too low. It doesn't matter what kind of food you eat, "clean" or not. That absolutely doesn't matter. If you're not eating enough, you won't lose weight. So when you go over your "goal" with "junk," or with *whatever* kind of food, YOU ARE FINALLY ACTUALLY EATING ENOUGH AND YOUR BODY IS LETTING ITSELF LET GO OF ENERGY STORES.

Good luck.

Hello doctor?
    As I already said the trainer I used to work out with has SET my calorie limit to 1300.
  • DreamOfSunshine
    DreamOfSunshine Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

Congrats on the results so far!

My personal experience is that eating more ( around 1700-1800 cals per day ) helps me lose, while eating at 1400 got me stuck for almost 2 months. And hitting the gym 3-5 times a week also helped, of course. :bigsmile:

What I would recomend you to read is this article, as it might explain your doubts ( as usually, many thanks to the author!!! ):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Cheers and good luck with the jurney further! :flowerforyou:
    Ves
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    No, I just think only some understand what I am saying on here.

My TRAINER set my limit to 1300!
    What? He is wrong and you guys are right?
  • dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Not all trainers know what they're talking about, and I'm not the only person in this thread telling you that your trainer probably isn't right.

Buuut, since you obviously know exactly what your problem is and how to solve it, there's no point in continuing to talk to a brick wall. Have a good night, doctor!
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    It could also be a variation in your metabolism relative to other people, or maybe you overestimate the amount of calories you consume. These numbers are all just kind of made up based on best estimates, but there's a significant variation among people.
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    Hey there!

Congrats on the results so far!

My personal experience is that eating more ( around 1700-1800 cals per day ) helps me lose, while eating at 1400 got me stuck for almost 2 months. And hitting the gym 3-5 times a week also helped, of course. :bigsmile:

What I would recomend you to read is this article, as it might explain your doubts ( as usually, many thanks to the author!!! ):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Cheers and good luck with the jurney further! :flowerforyou:
    Ves

Thank you :)
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    It could also be a variation in your metabolism relative to other people, or maybe you overestimate the amount of calories you consume. These numbers are all just kind of made up based on best estimates, but there's a significant variation among people.

No...I count calories and the FURTHEST I've ever was off was about 100 calories.